Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do YOU think about a 1957 "reunion"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donzblock View Post
    Newkirk was one of the great stations: you could get a local or an express there. The express run up the hill to Kings Highway was a great one. But the run to Prospect Park was, of course, the best. Was Parkside the stop before Prospect Park? (How could I forget?) Has the Brighton Express been restored?
    Yes, Parkside was the stop just south of Prospect Park.

But that's a gimme; a real Brooklynite can name ALL the stops from DeKalb to Coney Island. Express AND Local.

You're up, Professor. And no googling an MTA Subway Map!

Comment

Originally posted by shlevine42 View Post
      Yes, Parkside was the stop just south of Prospect Park.

But that's a gimme; a real Brooklynite can name ALL the stops from DeKalb to Coney Island. Express AND Local.

You're up, Professor. And no googling an MTA Subway Map!

Geez, that will really test the old memory, shlevine.

Let me see, there was DeKalb, Pacific (I think, or was Pacific on the Sea Beach), and Union. I have to think more about the local stops between DeKalb and Prospect Park. I never went past Prospect Park much on the Brighton Beach Express. We used to go to Coney Island on the Sea Beach and West End Expresses, where relatives lived.

c.
      Last edited by DODGER DEB; 12-20-2007, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Having spent my Brooklyn "Glory Years" in Sheepshead Bay, I rode the Brighton Line to Ebbets Field (and to "the city").

(The Sea Beach and West End Lines could have stopped at Malibu and Piccadilly Circus, for all I knew!)

We didn't get out of our own neighborhoods much in those days.

Comment

From the deep recesses of my mind.....the Brighton Beach Express stopped at DeKalb Avenue, Pacific Street and Atlantic Avenue on it's way to the Prospect Park Station. I draw a blank on whether there were additional stations between them.

The Brighton Beach Local stopped at Union Street, 9th Street, Eastern Parkway (?) and I think 15th Street before it got to the Prospect Park Station.

I have to add 7th Avenue on the BB Local...I knew someone who lived there.

c.
          Last edited by DODGER DEB; 12-20-2007, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
            From the deep recesses of my mind.....the Brighton Beach Express stopped at DeKalb Avenue, Pacific Street and Atlantic Avenue on it's way to the Prospect Park Station. I draw a blank on whether there were additional stations between them.

The Brighton Beach Local stopped at Union Street, 9th Street, Eastern Parkway (?) and I think 15th Street before it got to the Prospect Park Station.

I have to add 7th Avenue on the BB Local...I knew someone who lived there.

c.
            Nice try, but I think you're combining the Brighton, Sea Beach & West End stations.

If Professor Block can't come up with the answer by tomorrow, I'll list the Brighton Line stations. From memory.

Comment

Nice try, but I think you're combining the Brighton, Sea Beach & West End stations.

If Professor Block can't come up with the answer by tomorrow, I'll list the Brighton Line stations. From memory.
              Dekalb, Atlantic Avenue, 7th Avenue, Prospect Park, Parkside, Beverly, Cortelyou, Newkirk, Avenue H, Avenue J, Avenue M, Kings Highway, Avenue U, Neck Road, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach (a great screeching bend with the train right on the edge of infinity). I stopped at Brighton, but Stillwell was I think two stops after.

I rode the Sea Beach once because it was called an express, but that thing was a disappointment: it seemed to make all the local stops.

I guess in Brooklyn, some people were born expresses, and others like me were locals. My home station was Avenue H, and we envied those whose home stations gave the rider a choice. A Newkirk person was one of the elite.

I don't remember the Brighton local stopping at a Union Street, a 9th Street, an Eastern Parkway, or a 15th Street.

Now what did I miss?
              Last edited by donzblock; 12-20-2007, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock View Post
                Dekalb, Atlantic Avenue, 7th Avenue, Prospect Park, Parkside, Beverly, Cortelyou, Newkirk, Avenue H, Avenue J, Avenue M, Kings Highway, Avenue U, Neck Road, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton Beach (a great screeching bend with the train right on the edge of infinity). I stopped at Brighton, but Stillwell was I think two stops after.

I rode the Sea Beach once because it was called an express, but that thing was a disappointment: it seemed to make all the local stops.

I guess in Brooklyn, some people were born expresses, and others like me were locals. My home station was Avenue H, and we envied those whose home stations gave the rider a choice. A Newkirk person was one of the elite.

I don't remember the Brighton local stopping at a Union Street, a 9th Street, an Eastern Parkway, or a 15th Street.

Now what did I miss?
                You missed CHURCH, between Parkside and Beverly...and OCEAN PARKWAY and WEST EIGHTH STREET between BRIGHTON BEACH and STILLWELL AVENUE.

Otherwise, you got them all. Not bad for someone who's been away so long.

Comment

that was great thanks for getting involved. Now where does everyone call home? I have been out of Brooklyn since 1982 . I am out on Long Island now & have been since then. I am thinking of making the big move to Florida with in the next year maybe. Now that the Dodgers are leaving Vero beach it holds up the move just alittle. Still I want to stick around to see how the NEW Coney Island will turn out.

Comment

You missed CHURCH, between Parkside and Beverly...and OCEAN PARKWAY and WEST EIGHTH STREET between BRIGHTON BEACH and STILLWELL AVENUE.

Otherwise, you got them all. Not bad for someone who's been away so long.
                    How could I miss Church? Too many neurons have flown the coop since my last subway ride.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X