• BROOKLYN DODGERS: THE GHOSTS OF FLATBUSH on HBO starting July 11

http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/Sch...OCUS_ID=631912

> HBO SPORTS WEBSITE

http://www.hbo.com/sports/

BROOKLYN DODGERS: THE GHOSTS OF FLATBUSH

Rated TVPG:

Running Time: 117 minutes

Genre: Sports

Brooklyn's high-flying Dodgers are the focus of this documentary that examines the heyday and impact of one of baseball's most recognizable teams from 1947 to 1957. From the watershed moment in which Jackie Robinson became the first African American to play in the major leagues, the team set a new standard for integration and became a symbol for a cohesive American culture. But just ten years later, the Dodgers left Ebbets Field behind and relocated to the West Coast, shocking a borough and forever changing the professional sports landscape. This film explores that history-making period--including the team's epic battles against their archrival Yankees--and features interviews with Rachel Robinson, Duke Snider, Carl Erskine, Clem Labine, Johnny Podres, Peter O'Malley, Larry King, Pat Cooper, Louis Gossett Jr. and many others. (TVPG) ()

ALL SHOWINGS, HBO/MAX East
    DATE/TIME CHANNEL
    Wed 7/11 08:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Wed 7/11 08:00 PM HBO - EAST
    Wed 7/11 11:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Wed 7/11 11:00 PM HBO - WEST
    Thu 7/12 10:30 PM HBO2 - EAST
    Fri 7/13 01:30 AM HBO2 - WEST
    Sat 7/14 10:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Sat 7/14 10:00 AM HBO - EAST
    Sat 7/14 01:00 PM HBO - WEST
    Sat 7/14 01:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Tue 7/17 12:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Tue 7/17 12:00 AM HBO - EAST
    Tue 7/17 03:00 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Tue 7/17 03:00 AM HBO - WEST
    Thu 7/19 11:30 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Thu 7/19 11:30 AM HBO - EAST
    Thu 7/19 02:30 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Thu 7/19 02:30 PM HBO - WEST
    Fri 7/20 08:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Fri 7/20 08:00 PM HBO - EAST
    Fri 7/20 11:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Fri 7/20 11:00 PM HBO - WEST
    Sun 7/22 11:00 AM HBO2 - EAST
    Sun 7/22 02:00 PM HBO2 - WEST
    Tue 7/24 03:30 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Tue 7/24 03:30 PM HBO - EAST
    Tue 7/24 06:30 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Tue 7/24 06:30 PM HBO - WEST
    Tue 7/24 11:30 PM HBO - EAST
    Tue 7/24 11:30 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Wed 7/25 02:30 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Wed 7/25 02:30 AM HBO - WEST
    Sat 7/28 01:00 AM HBO2 - EAST
    Sat 7/28 04:00 AM HBO2 - WEST
    Sun 7/29 11:30 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Sun 7/29 11:30 AM HBO - EAST
    Sun 7/29 02:30 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Sun 7/29 02:30 PM HBO - WEST
    Tue 7/31 07:30 AM HBO2 - EAST
    Tue 7/31 10:30 AM HBO2 - WEST
    Wed 8/1 06:00 PM HBO - EAST
    Wed 8/1 09:00 PM HBO - WEST

Originally posted by D6+ View Post
    http://www.hbo.com/apps/schedule/Sch...OCUS_ID=631912

> HBO SPORTS WEBSITE

http://www.hbo.com/sports/

BROOKLYN DODGERS: THE GHOSTS OF FLATBUSH

Rated TVPG:

Running Time: 117 minutes

Genre: Sports

Brooklyn's high-flying Dodgers are the focus of this documentary that examines the heyday and impact of one of baseball's most recognizable teams from 1947 to 1957. From the watershed moment in which Jackie Robinson became the first African American to play in the major leagues, the team set a new standard for integration and became a symbol for a cohesive American culture. But just ten years later, the Dodgers left Ebbets Field behind and relocated to the West Coast, shocking a borough and forever changing the professional sports landscape. This film explores that history-making period--including the team's epic battles against their archrival Yankees--and features interviews with Rachel Robinson, Duke Snider, Carl Erskine, Clem Labine, Johnny Podres, Peter O'Malley, Larry King, Pat Cooper, Louis Gossett Jr. and many others. (TVPG) ()

ALL SHOWINGS, HBO/MAX East
    DATE/TIME CHANNEL
    Wed 7/11 08:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Wed 7/11 08:00 PM HBO - EAST
    Wed 7/11 11:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Wed 7/11 11:00 PM HBO - WEST
    Thu 7/12 10:30 PM HBO2 - EAST
    Fri 7/13 01:30 AM HBO2 - WEST
    Sat 7/14 10:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Sat 7/14 10:00 AM HBO - EAST
    Sat 7/14 01:00 PM HBO - WEST
    Sat 7/14 01:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Tue 7/17 12:00 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Tue 7/17 12:00 AM HBO - EAST
    Tue 7/17 03:00 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Tue 7/17 03:00 AM HBO - WEST
    Thu 7/19 11:30 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Thu 7/19 11:30 AM HBO - EAST
    Thu 7/19 02:30 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Thu 7/19 02:30 PM HBO - WEST
    Fri 7/20 08:00 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Fri 7/20 08:00 PM HBO - EAST
    Fri 7/20 11:00 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Fri 7/20 11:00 PM HBO - WEST
    Sun 7/22 11:00 AM HBO2 - EAST
    Sun 7/22 02:00 PM HBO2 - WEST
    Tue 7/24 03:30 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Tue 7/24 03:30 PM HBO - EAST
    Tue 7/24 06:30 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Tue 7/24 06:30 PM HBO - WEST
    Tue 7/24 11:30 PM HBO - EAST
    Tue 7/24 11:30 PM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Wed 7/25 02:30 AM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Wed 7/25 02:30 AM HBO - WEST
    Sat 7/28 01:00 AM HBO2 - EAST
    Sat 7/28 04:00 AM HBO2 - WEST
    Sun 7/29 11:30 AM HBO LATINO - EAST
    Sun 7/29 11:30 AM HBO - EAST
    Sun 7/29 02:30 PM HBO LATINO - WEST
    Sun 7/29 02:30 PM HBO - WEST
    Tue 7/31 07:30 AM HBO2 - EAST
    Tue 7/31 10:30 AM HBO2 - WEST
    Wed 8/1 06:00 PM HBO - EAST
    Wed 8/1 09:00 PM HBO - WEST

Thank you for sharing that information with US, D6+!

Also, welcome to OUR Forum. I always enjoy seeing new members join US. Please feel free to add to any discussion of the thread topic and perhaps share some memories you may have of OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS.

c.

Comment

Poop, I don't get HBO due to my geographical location, but thanks for the info and WELCOME to the site none the less.
      http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by ColtscorrAL View Post
        Poop, I don't get HBO due to my geographical location, but thanks for the info and WELCOME to the site none the less.
        Not to worry, ColtscorrAL, I am sure before you can blink they will have it out on DVD.

c.

Comment

Please, if anyone has seen the documentary, any comments? Your critique is welcomed. I might be interested in the DVD when it comes out. Thanks.

Charlie in Japan

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
            Thank you for sharing that information with US, D6+!

Also, welcome to OUR Forum. I always enjoy seeing new members join US. Please feel free to add to any discussion of the thread topic and perhaps share some memories you may have of OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS.

c.

Thanks, DODGER DEB. This Forum has provided me with priceless info and memories. The popularity of this Forum, compared to the vast majority of Forums on Baseball Fever, speaks volumes of the passion for the Brooklyn Dodgers by people like yourself and many others Keep up the great work.

Comment

In connection with HBO's two-part documentary, "Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts of Flatbush", this article, written by Richard Sandomir, appeared in the NYTimes on Friday, June 29th....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/sp...93721d&ei=5070

Comments?

c.

Comment

In the New York Post the other day, long time NBA writer Peter Vecsey offered some thoughts about his favorite baseball team, the Brooklyn Dodgers, after seeing premiere of the upcoming " The Ghosts of Flatbush" program. All of us who are Brooklyn Dodgers fans probably can relate to what Vecsey expressed. Vecsey's thoughts about the Dodgers are part of a larger article:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06292007...ter_vecsey.htm

Comment

In connection with HBO's two-part documentary, "Brooklyn Dodgers: The Ghosts of Flatbush", this article, written by Richard Sandomir, appeared in the NYTimes on Friday, June 29th....

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/29/sp...93721d&ei=5070

Comments?

c.

DODGER DEB, when reading Richard Sandomir's comment that Walter O' Malley loved money ( which is the understatement of the current and previous century), the first thing that came to mind is the irony that a bank currently stands in the spot on Montague St. where the Brooklyn Dodgers Offices stood.

As for what Ralph Branca mentioned, I clearly disagree with his opinion. The bottom line is no one forced Walter O' Malley to move the Dodgers out of Brooklyn. He made the decision, despite the Dodgers having higher attendance than the vast majority of National League teams year after year. If O' Malley wanted to pursue an even more lucrative opportunity in baseball, he should have sold the Dodgers to someone willing to keep the team in Brooklyn. Then with part of the money from the sale, purchase a team that wasn't well supported. Moving that team to greener pastures. It's disturbing to say the least that many high profile people have placed the primary blame on the Dodgers moving on others, instead of focusing on O' Malley.

Comment

DODGER DEB, when reading Richard Sandomir's comment that Walter O' Malley loved money ( which is the understatement of the current and previous century), the first thing that came to mind is the irony that a bank currently stands in the spot on Montague St. where the Brooklyn Dodgers Offices stood.

As for what Ralph Branca mentioned, I clearly disagree with his opinion. The bottom line is no one forced Walter O' Malley to move the Dodgers out of Brooklyn. He made the decision, despite the Dodgers having higher attendance than the vast majority of National League teams year after year. If O' Malley wanted to pursue an even more lucrative opportunity in baseball, he should have sold the Dodgers to someone willing to keep the team in Brooklyn. Then with part of the money from the sale, purchase a team that wasn't well supported. Moving that team to greener pastures. It's disturbing to say the least that many high profile people have placed the primary blame on the Dodgers moving on others, instead of focusing on O' Malley.
                    Agree 1000%...this blame Bob Moses is a campaign launched by certain elements of the imposter organization on the left coast in an attempt to get the fat piece of sub human garbage voted into the Hall of Fame before their demise (in a sense it would almost be good to vote this thing into the Hall of Fame so we could all be there and drown out Vin Scully making the presentation to Peter O'Malley but for that brief moment in the sun, it is too high a price to pay).

Incidentally, if you're not aware of it, Nelso Rockefeller did offer to buy the team but the fat piece of sub human garbage said no.
                    Last edited by MATHA531; 07-02-2007, 01:27 AM.

Comment

MATHA, I agree with you that it's too high a price to pay for having an afternoon of protest against Walter O' Malley. The Baseball HOF would lose all it's credibility if O' Malley was elected to it.

Like you expressed in this Forum previously, the moving of the Dodgers out of Brooklyn by O' Malley was the beginning of the end of MLB being the most popular sports league in this country. The NFL began to capture a large part of Baseball's sports market share, especially in 1958 as a result of the epic OT win by the Baltimore Colts over the NY Giants. In this current era, MLB isn't on the same radar screen with the NFL. Especially when it comes to TV Ratings and merchandise sales.

Interesting, someone on another internet message board expressed the opinion today that the NFL is much more popular in Cincinnati than MLB. Whether this is the case or not, the fact that it's even debatable helps sums up the decline of MLB, relative to the MLB. Especially since the history of MLB in Cincinnati dates back to 1869.

Comment

Denis Hamill, Pete's brother, after having seen The Ghosts of Flatbush at a preview, wrote this review in Sunday's NY Daily News. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain..._the_bums.html

Don't forget to watch on Wednesday!

c.

Comment

Denis Hamill, Pete's brother, after having seen The Ghosts of Flatbush at a preview, wrote this review in Sunday's NY Daily News. :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain..._the_bums.html

Don't forget to watch on Wednesday!

c.

DODGER DEB, thanks for posting the link to Denis Hamill's article.

One small correction from what was written in the article, Walter O' Malley died in 1979, not 1978.

After yesterday's Brooklyn Cyclones game against the Jamestown Jammers at Keyspan Park, they showed the "The Ghosts of Flatbush" documentary in the Brooklyn Baseball Gallery. Because this was my first time looking at the exhibits in the gallery, I decided to wait until Wednesday Night to watch the documentary.

Today, Stanley Crouch wrote an article in the NY Daily News that's also well worth reading. The name of the article is:

A turf war for the ages

Dodgers' move to L.A. left Brooklyn broken, but real story is one of pride and prejudice

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...uch/index.html

W/ o saying, I disagree with Crouch's opinion in the second to last paragraph. I'll put it in quotes:

" As interesting is the story of how Dodger owner Walter O'Malley was defeated by Robert Moses, New York's master politician who would not let the baseball team build a new stadium in Brooklyn. He had other plans ".

The reality of the situation was Walter O' Malley, not Robert Moses, would not let the baseball team build a new stadium in Brooklyn. It was O' Malley, who unfortunately for all of us, had other plans.

On the other hand, the last paragraph of this article sums up the essence of what tragically transpired:

"The decisions that sent the Dodgers west are shown not so much as manipulations of the system but as another of those moments when two titans met, their massive egos rising like horns. Not a drop of blood was shed, but the heart of Brooklyn was broken and the unifying myth of a people's team went down the drain along with the spontaneous glory, discipline and sportsmanship that once made professional American athletes so much more valuable to the human spirit than they are now"

Comment

DODGER DEB, thanks for posting the link to Denis Hamill's article.

One small correction from what was written in the article, Walter O' Malley died in 1979, not 1978.

After yesterday's Brooklyn Cyclones game against the Jamestown Jammers at Keyspan Park, they showed the "The Ghosts of Flatbush" documentary in the Brooklyn Baseball Gallery. Because this was my first time looking at the exhibits in the gallery, I decided to wait until Wednesday Night to watch the documentary.

Today, Stanley Crouch wrote an article in the NY Daily News that's also well worth reading. The name of the article is:

A turf war for the ages

Dodgers' move to L.A. left Brooklyn broken, but real story is one of pride and prejudice

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...uch/index.html

W/ o saying, I disagree with Crouch's opinion in the second to last paragraph. I'll put it in quotes:

" As interesting is the story of how Dodger owner Walter O'Malley was defeated by Robert Moses, New York's master politician who would not let the baseball team build a new stadium in Brooklyn. He had other plans ".

The reality of the situation was Walter O' Malley, not Robert Moses, would not let the baseball team build a new stadium in Brooklyn. It was O' Malley, who unfortunately for all of us, had other plans.

On the other hand, the last paragraph of this article sums up the essence of what tragically transpired:

"The decisions that sent the Dodgers west are shown not so much as manipulations of the system but as another of those moments when two titans met, their massive egos rising like horns. Not a drop of blood was shed, but the heart of Brooklyn was broken and the unifying myth of a people's team went down the drain along with the spontaneous glory, discipline and sportsmanship that once made professional American athletes so much more valuable to the human spirit than they are now"

Thanks for making that correction on the "BIG O's" passing date, D6+. I meant to do it, but just forgot.

Appreciate your also posting the other article by Stanley Crouch, D6+.

I agree, that last paragraph just about "says it all", about what WE lost!

c.

Comment

[/B]

Thanks for making that correction on the "BIG O's" passing date, D6+. I meant to do it, but just forgot.

Appreciate your also posting the other article by Stanley Crouch, D6+.

I agree, that last paragraph just about "says it all", about what WE lost!

c.

My pleasure, DODGER DEB.

There's an article in the July 6th addition of the Los Angeles Times that relates to the " Ghosts of Flatbush" documentary. It was written by Larry Stewart, the TV-Radio Sports Columnist in that newspaper. The following is the link. After I provide the link, I'm going to comment on a number of things mentioned in the article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ck=1&cset=true

Backed into a corner, O'Malley began thinking of moving the team to Minneapolis. But in 1956 he got a call from Rosalind Wyman, then a young Los Angeles City Council member.

She had read that O'Malley might be considering moving the team, and called to suggest L.A.

That's what got the ball rolling.

Wyman and County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn played key roles in completing the play and Wyman and Hahn's son James, the former L.A. mayor, are among those interviewed in the documentary.

Says Wyman: "Officials in the city of New York — they should have been strung up. I mean, that was the dumbest decision ever made in municipalities — to lose two baseball teams."

Memo to Rosalind Wyman: In 1995, the Los Angeles area lost two NFL teams. On top of that, Los Angeles was awarded an NFL expansion franchise in the latter part of the 1990's. Providing Los Angeles met certain conditions within a 6 month period. Los Angeles failed to do so, leading to the NFL's decision to give Houston the 32nd Franchise in the NFL. In essence, Los Angeles lost 3 NFL franchises in a relatively close period. Ms. Wyman, I would like to see your answer to this statement!

The animosity felt toward O'Malley to this day in Brooklyn comes through loud and clear in the film. But longtime Los Angeles sports columnist Melvin Durslag responds by saying, "Get with it, these are the rules of combat."

Regarding what this piece of trash Melvin Durslag said, I hope you enjoy your 13th straight season w/o an NFL team in Los Angeles. As well as the ownership of Frank McCourt of your LA Imposter Franchise.

Rachel Robinson, talking in the film about her late husband's feelings after O'Malley became the majority owner, says, "Jackie felt Rickey was forced out."

Former Dodgers general manager Buzzie Bavasi is more blunt: "Walter hated Jackie's guts and vice versa."

Jackie Robinson was a class act and tremendous character in every sense. Mega props to Jackie Robinson for retiring instead of being a pawn in Walter O' Malley's scheme to hijack the Dodgers 3000 miles from Brooklyn.

Bavasi says in the film: "Walter thought the Dodgers were an institution in Brooklyn, and that anything he wanted he could get. But he forgot that Mr. Moses was not a Brooklyn man. There's no way he could've turned down L.A. Imagine somebody giving you 352 acres in downtown New York."

People who put social responsibility over greed would have kept the Dodgers in Brooklyn, where they still were amongst the most profitable franchises in MLB.

A more minor omission is that there is no mention that the new Dodger Stadium, despite being state-of-the-art, originally had only two drinking fountains, a situation that was soon remedied.

Knowing what Walter O' Malley stood for, it's fair to say that it wasn't by accident that only two drinking fountains were in his new stadium.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X