Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would have loved to experience Brooklyn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todd,

I really enjoyed your stories about your dad. I was less than two years old when he played for the Dodgers, so of course I don't remember him, but I'm sure that he was cheered by thousands of Dodger fans at Ebbets Field.

By the way, there are at least two 1953 Cardinals who are still alive--Joe Presko and Dick Schofield, and maybe others. You might want to look them up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatbush Flock View Post
      Todd,

I really enjoyed your stories about your dad. I was less than two years old when he played for the Dodgers, so of course I don't remember him, but I'm sure that he was cheered by thousands of Dodger fans at Ebbets Field.

By the way, there are at least two 1953 Cardinals who are still alive--Joe Presko and Dick Schofield, and maybe others. You might want to look them up as well.
      Other surviving members of the '53 Cardinals:
      Eddie Phillips
      Fred Marolewski
      Vern benson
      Pete Castiglione
      Grant Dunlap
      Sal Yvars
      Harry Elliott
      Solly Hemus
      Dick Borkelmann
      John Romonosky
      Jackie Collum
      Jack Faszholz
      Eddie Erautt
      Cliff Chambers
      Stu Miller
      Gerry Staley.

If you write to them in care of the Cardinals, your letters will be forwarded.

Good luck!

Comment

Contacting players

I purchased Harvey Meiselman's Player Address Book. It's been a tremendous asset when trying to contact players. (Sadly, I should have started all this many years ago. Anyway, if i get those who are living to respond, I'll be thriled.)

Thanks for the heads up on other living Cardinal players. That's a huge help! I'll get out my handy-dandy address book and get busy. Here's Cardinals I HAVE heard from:

Pete Castiglione
        Harvey Haddix
        Grant Dunlap
        Solly Hemus
        Eddie Erautt
        Cliff Chambers
        Dick Schofield (who roomed with dad when he first joined the Cards.)
        Vinear Bend Mizell (before he passed away)
        and of course, manager Eddie Stanky. I had a tremendous run of letters from Eddie. He and my dad were great firends. We wrote back and forth for years. I had intentions of getting down to Mobile to visit him, but I drug my feet too long. I was so upset when he passed away. A lesson to everyone—don't be a procrastinating pinhead like me. If there's someone you wish to go see, get busy and do it, since we don't have the promise of tomorrow.

Still crossing my fingers and toes to hear from Musial and Scheondienst. I've written them before with no luck. Go figure.

Dodgers I've heard from inlclude:
        Eddie Stanky (I'll count him twice! haha)
        Preacher Roe (one of the oldest living players still around at 92)
        Joe Tepsic (his wife wrote—Joe is suffering from short-term memory loss)
        Mike Sandlock

I REALLY am hoping to hear back from DUKE SNIDER, RALPH BRANCA and GENE HERMANSKI. Hoo, boy! Man, that 'd be something to get a paragraph from those two! I told 'em all that while their sigs would be great, I'm really just wanting any memories they might have of my dad. Sure hope they respond.

I think it'd be a hoot to speak with Pee Wee Reese's son. He and I have something in common—both of us were born after our dads had played. I think Dodger Deb told me that Pee Wee's son was born in 1957. He has way more incredible things that he missed out on than I did.

Still would love to find a Dodger [replica] jersey of #14. Although Hodges did the most with that number, my pop wore it before he joined the club. Would be neat to get one to go with his Cards jersey. They used to sell those on the Dodgers website, but I think they're long gone (rats).

So sorry to ramble! A tip of the hat to you all who pointed me to those names that ARE still with us. Many, many thanks!

Todd (Anderson)
        Andy's #3 son

P.S. Here's a page from an old autograph book that belonged to my brother Gary when he was still alive. Some neat Dodger sigs! Enjoy!
        Attached Files

Comment

Todd, if you haven't done so yet, you should write to Jean-Pierre Roy. He was only with the Dodgers for the first several weeks of the '46 season, but he was there when your dad was, and I'm sure their paths crossed.

If Roy's address is not in the Meiselman book, send me a PM. I'm in touch with Jean-Pierre and he is a delight.

Comment

Photo from 1946

Here's a photo of my dad I recently purchased on Ebay. The Philadelphia Inquirer caption on the back reads:

Shibe Park, Brooklyn vs. Phillies - 5/26/46
            Photo shows L to R Ferrell Anderson catching ball as Schoolboy Rowe misses pitch during ninth inning.

This photo is the only one I've ever seen of my dad actually behind the plate with the batter in the box, etc. Priceless!
            Todd
            Attached Files

Comment

Halloween Dodger

Hey Todd: How's this for scarey????????????
              Attached Files
              you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
              http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Halloween Dodger

Lucky Strike blowin' smoke rings atcha from the Polo Grounds.........
                Attached Files
                you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

Love the jersey!

HAHAHA Schaeffer beer! Haven't seen those since I was in the Navy, stationed in Philadelphia. That can brought back memories!
                  Where'd you get that uniform, Pete? Purty cool!
                  Todd

Comment

Pete we should photo shop your picture and put you in the stands at Ebbets field. Glancing over at it would make me feel like I was back at the old ball park. Kinda makes me feel that way even without Ebbets in the background.
                    battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Anderson View Post
                      HAHAHA Schaeffer beer! Haven't seen those since I was in the Navy, stationed in Philadelphia. That can brought back memories!
                      Todd
                      Ah yes, Schaefer Beer. The breakfast of champeens (err, wait, that was Wheaties, huh?).

Todd,

Great to read your many posts and pictures of your dad. I have some other pictures of your dad in a magazine/yearbook entitled "Baseball's Beloved Bums" that was published in 1947. Growing up in lower Manhattan, I purchased this magazine circa 1966 or so at a cut rate book store that existed on Park Row, across the street from City Hall. Your dad appears in a team photo, is listed on the 1947 Dodgers roster (birth date 1/9/18, Height 6'1", Weight 200). The other Dodgers listed on the 1947 Pre-Season roster included Bruce Edwards, Gilbert Hodges and homer "Dixie" Howell. There are two pictures of your dad on page 16 of the yearbook (he has a healthy bit of chew in his left cheek!). One picture looks like he was posing outside the dugout and the other has him squatting down with his catchers mitt.

On Page 26 of the mag, they have a short but nice write up on your dad. Here is what it says, "Catcher Ferrel Anderson is built like Atlas, but he's just skin and bone at his current 200. He captained football and baseball at teh U. of Kansas, where he was All-Big Six guard two years, playing against the big 'uns like Notre Dame. Signed into the Yankee chain when he greaduated, he saw enough of Joplin, Norfolk, Akron, Binghampton, Augusta, and Hagerstown, then he was sold to Montreal in 1942. Rated a slick receiver and good thrower, he can hit the ball out of any park in the league".

Email me with your snail mail address and I'll see to copying these pictures and articles on your dad. Funny thing, but as an avid baseball fan, I had conducted 1946 cards and dice baseball sims (partial to the Dodgers of course) and I can make copies of your dad's "cards" for the Replay Game and Ball Park Baseball Game.

Again, thank you for sharing some very nice bits of Brooklyn Dodger history! Although I am more than 30 years removed from living in Brooklyn, my heart and soul will always be connected to that place!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                        Pete we should photo shop your picture and put you in the stands at Ebbets field. Glancing over at it would make me feel like I was back at the old ball park. Kinda makes me feel that way even without Ebbets in the background.
                        battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.
                        Yeah John......photoshop Ebbets behind me...that'd be pretty cool.........I don't know how or I would have done it.........

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Anderson View Post
                          Todd
                          Hey Todd: Got the uniform on ebay. It's a "Mitchell & Ness" jersey. I have over 20 different Brooklyn uniform jerseys and caps............not to mention jackets, yearbooks, etc. (doesn't everybody?)....lol

Comment

I hope Todd Anderson still checks out this site. Today I received an e-mail from the Baseball in Wartime site, which is chiefly devoted to World War II vets.
                            One of the links went to a writeup on Todd's dad, Ferrell Anderson (Trucutú, as he was known when he played in Cuba).

http://baseballinwartime.blogspot.co...-anderson.html

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X