The Welcome Home Dinners at the Hotel St. George

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Welcome Home Dinners at the Hotel St. George

Do you remember the annual Welcome Home Dinners the Dodgers staged at the then-posh Hotel St. George (which featured the world's only indoor salt water pool)?

As a child, I always wanted to go, but it was beyond my reach.

Did any of you make it to one of those dinners?

Did they last through 1957?

WE went to a couple of them. I would have to go through my "stuff" for the exact dates. And yes, the Hotel St. George was QUITE a place.

They were real nice...took allot of pics....and generally had a real fun time, since the entire Team was there.

I am almost sure they lasted through 1957.

c.

:radio OUR MOMENT IN TIME - OCTOBER 4, 1955 - 3:43PM

Comment

EbtsFldGuy and DODGER DEB, would you happen to know if the Hotel St. George still exists?

Also, where is ( was ) the Hotel St.. George located in Brooklyn?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by D6+ View Post
        EbtsFldGuy and DODGER DEB, would you happen to know if the Hotel St. George still exists?

Also, where is ( was ) the Hotel St.. George located in Brooklyn?

Thanks.

The rather posh Hotel St. George was located on Clark Street, just two blocks over from Montague Street (first Pierrepont, then Clark). For a long time, it was "the hotel" in BROOKLYN. Those "Welcome Home" Dinners for OUR Team were held just before Opening Day.

The hotel closed many years ago. I am not sure if the building is still standing.

c.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
          The rather posh Hotel St. George was located on Clark Street, just two blocks over from Montague Street (first Pierrepont, then Clark). For a long time, it was "the hotel" in BROOKLYN. Those "Welcome Home" Dinners for OUR Team were held just before Opening Day.

The hotel closed many years ago. I am not sure if the building is still standing.

c.

DODGER DEB, thanks for the info.

A few minutes ago, I found an article on the internet that mentions the history of the Hotel St. George . And that the Hotel Buildings became a Dormitory for over 800 students, who attend schools in the New York City area.

I'll post the link of the article below. One sentence was written that relates to the Dodgers:

The Brooklyn Dodgers frequently came by the hotel to celebrate wins.

http://web.honorscollege.cuny.edu/st...uestreet.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post

c.
            I used to live in Brooklyn Heights -- it is still there, though not a hotel anymore.
            Let's go Mets!

Comment

...it also had a great salt water swimming pool!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                I used to live in Brooklyn Heights -- it is still there, though not a hotel anymore.
                This building is just a couple of blocks away from me. There's still a sign for the hotel, above a wine shop:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadtri...es/2552082027/

There was a bad fire there in 1995, which I remember. It took a long time to rebuild on the site. This article has an ironic reference to an old article saying the place was fireproof, like the "unsinkable Titanic."

http://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.co...ly-fire-proof/

The Dodgers dinners were sponsored by the Knot-Hole Club. The first one I see mentioned in the news was from 1940.

Comment

in McGuires, an oasis of solace I may have previously mentioned, one of the sure signs of "found wealth" (holding the right three number combination) was a studied, casual mention by one of the regulars that he was "headin' for the George" that evening. it was, indeed, "puttin' on the ritz"

it also seems to me that sometime within the past couple of years I noticed an old wall sign for the hotel in a subway station (Jay St?).
                  After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X