did gionfriddo get a raw deal ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did gionfriddo get a raw deal ?

after seeing gionfriddo play in the 47 series, I thought he should he have been given a chance In 48? when he wasn't on the roster, I was puzzled. I was just a kid but after the catch off dimaggio, I just thought he was great. I know his record Is not terrific, I just thought he showed a little of what he could do In the series. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
    Last edited by dodger dynamo; 10-21-2007, 11:28 PM.

weird fact

hi dodgerdynamo: you know, that 1947 world series was very exciting, and three ballplayers that contributed to that excitement where the dodgers' al gionfriddo and cookie lavagetto; the third was the yanks' bill bevens. NONE of these three players would ever appear in a major league game after this world series ended!!
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

yea, I did know that. lavagetto was getting a little old, but al was 24 or 25. Bevins was probably punished for losing the game. It would be interesting to know what really happened with al. I have heard he continued in the minors for years with ok numbers. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Good field-no hit outfielders do not last long in the majors. Also, Al was not too tall which was a detriment to his efforts as an outfielder. He could run and was used as a pinch runner. Did he score one of the runs (with Eddie Miksis?) when Lavagetto hit his no-hitter spoiler?

Comment

Originally posted by strummer View Post
          Good field-no hit outfielders do not last long in the majors. Also, Al was not too tall which was a detriment to his efforts as an outfielder. He could run and was used as a pinch runner. Did he score one of the runs (with Eddie Miksis?) when Lavagetto hit his no-hitter spoiler?
          Gionfriddo (who had pinch run for Carl Furillo and stole second) and Eddie Miksis scored on the play.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
            yea, I did know that. lavagetto was getting a little old, but al was 24 or 25. Bevins was probably punished for losing the game. It would be interesting to know what really happened with al. I have heard he continued in the minors for years with ok numbers. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
            "Gionfriddo relived his golden moment at old-timers' games at Yankee and Shea Stadiums and at autograph shows through the years. But amid the accolades, he remained bitter toward Branch Rickey, the Dodgers' general manager. Gionfriddo maintained that Rickey reneged on a promise to bring him back to the majors, leaving him 60 days short of qualifying for a pension.

As Gionfriddo once put it, ''Baseball is a dog-eat-dog business.''

By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN
            Published: March 16, 2003

Comment

gionfriddo

al gionfriddo catch 1947
              Attached Files
              you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
              http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Here is Al's full professional record. He certainly played well enough in 1948 to deserve another callup -- wonder where that power surge came from for a man his size?!

The three seasons after that were respectable too. But back then the competition for roster spots was fierce.

What I'd like to know is why he got demoted after the '51 season. Maybe he was hurt that year.

Comment

Here are the stats:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just happened to read something else about Al: he was the leading hitter in the first ever Caribbean Series in 1949, at .533. He played for the winners, Cuba.

Comment

As part of the '47 Dodgers effort in the SABR BioProject, I signed up for Al as well as Dan Bankhead. Things are coming along pretty well here too. The main area I'm looking to fill in right now is his early life, and it appears a couple of Gionfriddo's brothers are still with us. (I've written to one and will be reaching out to other family members too.) From what I can tell, their father came to the U.S. from Sicily in the early part of the 20th century.

If anybody knows the name of the scout who signed Al for the Pirates, I'd appreciate it. Any other facts are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                        Bevins was probably punished for losing the game.
                        Bevans was injured in 1948. I believe that he was injured in Spring Training and never came back.

Comment

according to my dad, I was only 8 when spring training began in 48, my dad often said talk around the city was bevins was punished, he probably was hurt too, makes it easier not to give some body a chance. of course that's a yankee problem. Now if you look at dodger policy and practises you can see that in 1950 both shotton and milt stock were punished. I know o'malley said he wanted to talk to shotton about his future, but shotton said "I'm not going al the way to new york to be fired" So he knew how the game was played. The Yanks were no different in how they operated, at least in this regard. Battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Friends with longer memories, I have two questions as my Gionfriddo research progresses. (I promise you an update soon.)

1. Would Joe D's shot would have gone for a homer or just extra bases if Al hadn't made his catch? There's a debate here.

2. I've been reading that the newsreel footage that's around today includes re-enactments, including a poorly staged one of the route Al took to the ball.

On a side note, I was wondering what the count was when Al stole off Bill Bevens in Game 4. It was 2-1, which had some bearing on the questionable strategy of Yankee Manager Bucky Harris to put Pete Reiser on after the steal.
                            Last edited by VIBaseball; 07-26-2008, 06:06 PM. Reason: Found the answer on the count when Al stole in Game 4.

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                              Friends with longer memories, I have two questions as my Gionfriddo research progresses. (I promise you an update soon.)

1. Would Joe D's shot would have gone for a homer or just extra bases if Al hadn't made his catch? There's a debate here.

2. I've been reading that the newsreel footage that's around today includes re-enactments, including a poorly staged one of the route Al took to the ball.

On a side note, I was wondering what the count was when Al stole off Bill Bevens in Game 4. It was 2-1, which had some bearing on the questionable strategy of Yankee Manager Bucky Harris to put Pete Reiser on after the steal.

There's no way that ball was out.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X