This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonypug
    Games one and two of the 1949 World Series were played in Yankee Stadium.
    You're right. Thanks for that correction, Tonypug. I took the info from the caption on the website which is obviously in error. :o

After my initial error I thought it must be game 5 of the 49 Series because that was the first time Newcombe pitched in a a World Series game at Ebbetts Field. Since then I've been told by someone more knowlegable than myself that the photo is from earlier than that. Can anybody here clear this up? I'd sure like to get it right.
    zman
    Last edited by zman; 03-25-2006, 11:15 AM.

Comment

"I've made more money than I have expected to, but I am putting all of it, and more, too, into the new plant for the Brooklyn fans. Of course, it's one thing to have a fine ball club and win a pennant, but to my mind, there is something more important than that about a ball club. I believe the fan should be taken care of. A club should find a suitable home for its patrons. This home should be in a location that is healthy, should be safe, and it should be convenient."

Dodger's owner Charles Ebbets

(Photo and quote from mapsites.net)

Comment

It's a world of opposites. Much has been written about how the greed of Walter O'Malley led to the removal of the Dodgers franchise from Brooklyn. Less has been said about how Charles Ebbets incurred a huge personal debt to purchase the club and keep them in Brooklyn when a move to Baltimore loomed as a possibility and once again to erect a state-of-the-art ballpark for the fans of Brooklyn. Here's a link to an interesting SABR biography of Charles Hercules Ebbets.

http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?...d=877&pid=3973

Comment

Soccer

Of course, Ebbets Field is renowned for baseball history and has a fine gridiron history also (witness the 1923 Notre Dame-Army game). However, Ebbets Field also has an important place in US soccer history. In November, 1925 Ebbets Field was the site of the first ever international soccer match on US soil when the USA defeated Canada 6-1. One website gave the date of November 9th while another said November 28th. If anyone knows the actual date please say so. Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
            Of course, Ebbets Field is renowned for baseball history and has a fine gridiron history also (witness the 1923 Notre Dame-Army game). However, Ebbets Field also has an important place in US soccer history. In November, 1925 Ebbets Field was the site of the first ever international soccer match on US soil when the USA defeated Canada 6-1. One website gave the date of November 9th while another said November 28th. If anyone knows the actual date please say so. Brownie31
            Great post, Brownie 31. Good timing too. I'm beginning to feel funny about hogging this thread considering I'm among those who know the least about the subject. The Brooklyn faithful have already seen most all of the photos I've posted here but I think if we can gather them into a single thread along with articles and remembrances about Ebbets Field, it makes it convenient for others who want to immerse themselves in the subject. I hope posts like yours and PaulMcCall's will encourage everyone to contribute.
            zman
            Last edited by zman; 03-23-2006, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zman
              Great post, Brownie 31. Good timing too. I'm beginning to feel funny about hogging this thread considering I'm among those who know the least about the subject. The Brooklyn faithful have already seen most all of the photos I've posted here but I think if we can gather them into a single thread along with articles and remembrances about Ebbets Field, it makes it convenient for others who want to immerse themselves in the subject. I hope posts like yours and PaulMcCall's will encourage everyone to contribute.
              No problem, zman! You keep posting all those wonderful photos and stories about OUR Ebbets Field.

That's what this thread is for....to have them all in one place for anyone to see and read about.

c.

Comment

Ebbet's closing in 1960

Some of you may have already seen this but I thought those who haven't might like to read it. It on Ebbet's closing in 1960 in The Sporting News.

http://http://www.ajclay.com/BBF_PDF/ebett.pdf

http://http://www.ajclay.com/BBF_PDF/ebbett2.pdf
                runningshoes
                Saw Yaz launch one in '78
                Last edited by runningshoes; 03-23-2006, 05:48 AM.
                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                  No problem, zman! You keep posting all those wonderful photos and stories about OUR Ebbets Field.

That's what this thread is for....to have them all in one place for anyone to see and read about.

c.
                  Thank you, Dodger Deb. I get a lot of pleasure out of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by zman
                    zman: Thanks very much. This is by far my favorite part of baseball-fever. All of you are great! Brownie31

Comment

Opening Day 1913

April 5, 1913

Apil 6, 1913
                      runningshoes
                      Saw Yaz launch one in '78
                      Last edited by runningshoes; 03-23-2006, 07:55 AM.
                      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Wow! That's great stuff, runningshoes53. I especially like that photo of Bill Dahlen with the stands in the background.

Comment

Are WE to assume that the pinstripers (though they got the larger space) didn't have a ballpark back then and simply played in the streets of Da Bronx?

c.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                            Are WE to assume that the pinstripers (though they got the larger space) didn't have a ballpark back then and simply played in the streets of Da Bronx?

c.
                            The Yanks were the lowly tenants of the Giants at the Polo Grounds. Definitely the low man on the Gotham baseball scene! Brownie31

Comment

(ebay)
                              zman
                              Last edited by zman; 03-25-2006, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Can anyone confirm if this is Ray Caldwell and the inaugural exhibition game against the Yankees of April 5, 1913? It was quite an opener. Nap Rucker beat the newly named Yankees, 3–2 and the first home run was hit by Casey Stengel, who legged out an inside-the-park homer. An appropriate thriller of a game to open Ebbets Field when you consider the many thrills to come.

(ebay)
                                zman
                                Last edited by zman; 03-23-2006, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X