O'Malley HOF Vet Committee Finalist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O'Malley is a National HERO and Treasure

What is wrong with you (Brooklyn) people? Organize a protest against Walter O'Malley at the HOF? How about organizing a protest against apple pie and motherhood?

O'Malley's contribution to breaking the color barrier would ALONE, without more, assure him a place among the baseball immortals!:bowdown:

Have you noticed that your "team" (the "Brooklyn" Dodgers) is categorized as a team of "Yesteryear" in this blog?? GET OVER IT!!: You are part of the great and storied PAST which is the Dodger organization, but the Dodgers have moved on, and so should you!:noidea

O'Malley was the great visionary who put the team in the city that actually TURNS OUT in great numbers (3,865,753 this year) to see the Dodgers play, even when we have a mediocre (82-80) season. Come visit DODGER stadium in L.A.:cap: any time--just leave your absurd ideas about one of baseball's greatest heroes on the cold East Coast.

Comment

The only thing I will comment on is that your belief that O'Malley had anything to do with breaking the color barrier is completely wrong, it was Branch Rickey.
      sigpic

Comment

Been a Yankee fan all my life and I was around in the 1950s, that great Yankee/Dodgers rivalry and great World Series. Although a Yankee fan I felt the pain that those loyal Brooklyn Dodger fans must have felt when the Bums left for the coast. Loved those Dodger fans, what a shame.

Some behind the scenes info illustrated here. John Cashmore in a telegram begging Walter not to leave. A sad sight.
        Attached Files

Comment

Walter O'Malley and Branch Rickey

Walter O'Malley had been the attorney for the Dodgers since 1942. He played an integral role in the events that led up to the breaking of the color barrier in April of 1947. This in no way denegrates the contributions of the great Branch Rickey. It just wouldn't have happened when it did without BOTH of these great men (and might not have been successful in late '40's Brooklyn, but for the selection of the GREATEST baseball player of all time--Jackie Robinson).

Don't attempt to minimize the role of O'Malley just because he had the good sense to move the Dodger organization.

Comment

O'Malley hated Rickey and Robinson. First he forced Branch out. He later sold off [traded] Jackie to the Giants. The ultimate insult.
            Just how bad a man Walter O'Malley was, has been understated on these threads.
            ---
            Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
            Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The REAL (Los Angeles) Dodgers View Post
              What is wrong with you (Brooklyn) people? Organize a protest against Walter O'Malley at the HOF? How about organizing a protest against apple pie and motherhood?

O'Malley's contribution to breaking the color barrier would ALONE, without more, assure him a place among the baseball immortals!:bowdown:

Have you noticed that your "team" (the "Brooklyn" Dodgers) is categorized as a team of "Yesteryear" in this blog?? GET OVER IT!!: You are part of the great and storied PAST which is the Dodger organization, but the Dodgers have moved on, and so should you!:noidea

O'Malley was the great visionary who put the team in the city that actually TURNS OUT in great numbers (3,865,753 this year) to see the Dodgers play, even when we have a mediocre (82-80) season. Come visit DODGER stadium in L.A.:cap: any time--just leave your absurd ideas about one of baseball's greatest heroes on the cold East Coast.
              NOTHING IS WRONG WITH US! NOTHING!

If you can't respect both loyal and true BROOKLYN DODGER FANS, and OUR DODGERS, then I would strongly suggest that you are in the wrong forum. I believe there is another forum on BBF that would welcome you and your views.

Since you are a new member, I would also be real careful how you describe and refer to US, along with the words and phrases you choose, here on OUR Forum. No one tells US to "get over it...NO ONE! Further, no one tells anything about OUR Team, certainly not someone from lala land, where games begin in the 3rd inning and end in the 7th inning.

FYI, I have sat in the Chavez Ravine many, many times and came away with the same feeling each time.....how little anyone out there really knows about baseball and what was once a real, viable, and loved team!

WE will never forgive...and certainly NOT forget!

c.

Comment

Walter O'Malley had been the attorney for the Dodgers since 1942. He played an integral role in the events that led up to the breaking of the color barrier in April of 1947. This in no way denegrates the contributions of the great Branch Rickey. It just wouldn't have happened when it did without BOTH of these great men (and might not have been successful in late '40's Brooklyn, but for the selection of the GREATEST baseball player of all time--Jackie Robinson).

Don't attempt to minimize the role of O'Malley just because he had the good sense to move the Dodger organization.
                Before you make idiotic comments about O'Malley, I suggest you do a little research into the matter....

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
                  O'Malley hated Rickey and Robinson. First he forced Branch out. He later sold off [traded] Jackie to the Giants. The ultimate insult.
                  Just how bad a man Walter O'Malley was, has been understated on these threads.

I think Robinson would have played for the Giants in 1957, if he had anything left in the tank, just to spite O'Malley and Alston. I think Stoneham would have made it worth his while to do so. I doubt if he would have followed either team to California, though.

Comment

Originally posted by D6+ View Post
                    One thing for sure, the other candidates are going to need to be promoted, in a positive sense, as much as possible.
                    May I suggest Barney Dreyfuss for HOF!! The man who brought Honus Wagner to Pittsburgh, built Forbes Field, and was one of the key components in creating the World Series. I found it kinda surprising he isn't in there already. It's sad his son passed away so young, or his family may've been as endeared in Pittsburgh as the Rooney's are. I'm sure Barney has been spinning in his grave over the current state of the Pirates.

As for O'Malley. It would be a great travesty is he gets in. I will definitely join all of you Brooklynites in Cooperstown in booing if the unthinkable happens.
                    LETS GO BUCS!!

Comment

Originally posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
                      May I suggest Barney Dreyfuss for HOF!! The man who brought Honus Wagner to Pittsburgh, built Forbes Field, and was one of the key components in creating the World Series. I found it kinda surprising he isn't in there already. It's sad his son passed away so young, or his family may've been as endeared in Pittsburgh as the Rooney's are. I'm sure Barney has been spinning in his grave over the current state of the Pirates.

As for O'Malley. It would be a great travesty is he gets in. I will definitely join all of you Brooklynites in Cooperstown in booing if the unthinkable happens.
                      Thank you, BeatEmBucs! WE appreciate your support and would love to have you join US! If you have never seen BROOKLYN DODGER FANS in action, you are in for a real treat....and sooo much fun!

I have been to both Forbes Field and Three Rivers Stadium, and think that Pittsburgh is still a good city for MLB. Perhaps a grassroots movement by all Pirates fans would shake up the organization and restore it.

c.

Comment

The Dodgers that are categorized as a team of " Yesteryear" have over 3x as many posts as the imposter team. This speaks volumes!

You have a better chance winning the California state lottery 3 straight weeks than a true Brooklyn Dodgers fan going into IMPOSTER stadium wearing an LA cap. The only way I would even consider going into IMPOSTER stadium at all is if the opposition is a Brooklyn MLB team.

Comment

Originally posted by D6+ View Post
                          The Dodgers that are categorized as a team of " Yesteryear" have over 3x as many posts as the imposter team. This speaks volumes!

You have a better chance winning the California state lottery 3 straight weeks than a true Brooklyn Dodgers fan going into IMPOSTER stadium wearing an LA cap. The only way I would even consider going into IMPOSTER stadium at all is if the opposition is a Brooklyn MLB team.
                          Excellent points, D6+!

And, if you don't already know, I was in the Ravine many times to attend Old Timer's Days from 1971-1985, with my sister DEBS, just so OUR Players would have loyal fans there who actually knew who they were and supported them. That was the only reason reason WE put ourselves through the agony of sitting in that place.

c.

Comment

branch rickey, jackie robinson and a.b happy chandler broke the color barrier. o'malley wasn't even in the picture for that. instead of talking about apple pie and mother hood, it should have been scrooge and the grinch, even the grinch gave what he took back! better yet, mr. potter! that fits. no baseball hall of fame for o'malley, angels may also figure in the dodgers future to. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                              branch rickey, jackie robinson and a.b happy chandler broke the color barrier. o'malley wasn't even in the picture for that. instead of talking about apple pie and mother hood, it should have been scrooge and the grinch, even the grinch gave what he took back! better yet, mr. potter! that fits. no baseball hall of fame for o'malley, angels may also figure in the dodgers future to. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                              More excellent points, dyamo!

c.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
                                Been a Yankee fan all my life and I was around in the 1950s, that great Yankee/Dodgers rivalry and great World Series. Although a Yankee fan I felt the pain that those loyal Brooklyn Dodger fans must have felt when the Bums left for the coast. Loved those Dodger fans, what a shame.

Some behind the scenes info illustrated here. John Cashmore in a telegram begging Walter not to leave. A sad sight.

SHOELESSJOE3, thank you for your support.

Unfortunately, by the time John Cashmore sent this telegram, Walter O' Malley long made up his mind that he was going to hijack the Dodgers out of Brooklyn. The only thing that could have possibly kept the Dodgers in Brooklyn at that point, was if the Los Angeles City Council didn't approve the proposal that LA officials Kenneth Hahn and Roslalind Wyman helped put together. Once the LA City Council approved the proposal, within a day the 68 year history of the Dodgers was only a memory.
                                Last edited by D6+; 11-10-2007, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X