O'Malley HOF Vet Committee Finalist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Been a Yankee fan all my life and I was around in the 1950s, that great Yankee/Dodgers rivalry and great World Series. Although a Yankee fan I felt the pain that those loyal Brooklyn Dodger fans must have felt when the Bums left for the coast. Loved those Dodger fans, what a shame.

Some behind the scenes info illustrated here. John Cashmore in a telegram begging Walter not to leave. A sad sight.
    It's nice to have the support of a Yankee fan...and I do thank you, SHOELESSJOE3!

Sadly, John Cashmore (though a very nice man) was as scared of Robert Moses as Robert Wagner was in those days. Boro Prez Cashmore really meant those words he wrote, and tried so hard to be heard, but the Big "O" turned a deaf ear to everything BROOKLYN.

c.

Comment

MATHA531 is the one who has failed to do "a little research"

Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
      Before you make idiotic comments about O'Malley, I suggest you do a little research into the matter....
      I challenge any open-minded member of this forum (and I hope there are at least a few) to look it up: O'Malley was a major positive force for the integration of baseball at a time when few other men had the courage to stand up against the racism which permeated our society (the Dodger organization was fortunate indeed to have two giants such as O'Malley and Rickey at the same time. It took this confluence of greatness to bring about a major and much needed change in our culture).

As to edging out Rickey, that amounts to accusing O'Malley of being the better businessman (which he probably was). And planning to trade Jackie after 10 years in the majors? Keeping in mind that Jackie was the GREATEST man (and sportsman) ever to play the game, the interests of the Dodgers had to come first, which was O'Malley's motivation, not some sort of evil hatred of the greatest player of all time. NEWS FLASH: Player's careers DON"T LAST FOREVER (although I wish Jackie's could have).

:candle:LONG LIVE THE MEMORY OF WALTER O'MALLEY:candle::bowdown: TO THE HALLTO THE HALLTO THE HALL TO THE HALL

(As I mentioned, O'Malley's contribution to the integration of baseball would be enough to assure his inclusion among baseball's immortals. SO WOULD HAVING THE GOOD SENSE TO MOVE THE DODGERS TO A PLACE WHERE THE WEATHER IS DECENT AND THE TEAM IS LOVED, the best city in the U.S.)

P.S. I usually arrive in the bottom of the first and stay until the eighth. That way, I avoid the rush caused by the large number of fans coming in during the 3rd and leaving during the 7th. You folks in Brooklyn should try it. Oh wait........you don't have a team

The Real (Los Angeles) Dodgers

Comment

Originally posted by BeatEmBucs View Post
        May I suggest Barney Dreyfuss for HOF!! The man who brought Honus Wagner to Pittsburgh, built Forbes Field, and was one of the key components in creating the World Series. I found it kinda surprising he isn't in there already. It's sad his son passed away so young, or his family may've been as endeared in Pittsburgh as the Rooney's are. I'm sure Barney has been spinning in his grave over the current state of the Pirates.

As for O'Malley. It would be a great travesty is he gets in. I will definitely join all of you Brooklynites in Cooperstown in booing if the unthinkable happens.
        BeatEmBucs, thanks for your support. Hang in there with the Pirates. The team I root passionately for in the NFL, the Lions, are a prime example that teams can turn around after years of losing seasons. I hope you experience a season with the Pirates in the near future similar to the current season I'm experiencing with the Lions.

I wasn't aware of Barney Dreyfuss. He sounds like someone who definitely belongs in the HOF. I only wish that the Dodgers had an owner like him, Art Rooney, or Dan Rooney, back in the 1950's. Not to mention Charles Ebbets, who went the extra mile to keep the Dodgers in Brooklyn when the team's financial situation was the antithesis of what it was in the 1950's.

IMO, there are a number of owners who belong in the HOF in various Pro Sports. The last individual that ever should even be associated with a Sports HOF, let along being voted into a HOF as a member, is Walter O' Malley. The credibility of the Baseball HOF would be lost forever if O' Malley ever is elected. If there was such a placed called the Greed HOF, Walter O' Malley would have his own wing. In fact, it would be appropriate if the facility was named after him.

Comment

Originally posted by The REAL (Los Angeles) Dodgers View Post
          I challenge any open-minded member of this forum (and I hope there are at least a few) to look it up: O'Malley was a major positive force for the integration of baseball at a time when few other men had the courage to stand up against the racism which permeated our society (the Dodger organization was fortunate indeed to have two giants such as O'Malley and Rickey at the same time. It took this confluence of greatness to bring about a major and much needed change in our culture).
          I think you are greatly overestimating O'Malley's role in integrating the Dodgers. I would guess that his role didn't go beyond voting yes on it at a Dodgers share-holder meeting. I don't know if he supported the move or not. If O'Malley had been team president in 1945, I don't know that he would have signed Robinson.

I know that in later years, O'Malley tried to play up his role in the Robinson signing, but I suspect his interest was only piqued when Rickey broke it down into how much money Negros would spend at Ebbets Field, if a black man played for the Dodgers.
          Last edited by EdTarbusz; 11-09-2007, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
            Excellent points, D6+!

And, if you don't already know, I was in the Ravine many times to attend Old Timer's Days from 1971-1985, with my sister DEBS, just so OUR Players would have loyal fans there who actually knew who they were and supported them. That was the only reason reason WE put ourselves through the agony of sitting in that place.

c.
            Thanks, DODGER DEB.

I completely understand why you and your sister DEBS went to that stadium during that 15 year period. I'm 1000% confident that none of you wore an LA cap. There's no Brooklyn Dodgers past or present that I'm aware of who has more passion for the Dodgers as you do.

If I was around during the days that the Dodgers fielded a team, I would have likely wanted to go to the Old Timers Day events, in order to support the Dodgers players who deserved recognition. Much like you did. I can well imagine how difficult it was for each of you to be in IMPOSTER stadium.

Even viewing that stadium on TV has become much more difficult over the years, as I've grown to understand the events that took place that lead to the Dodgers being hijacked out of Brooklyn. When you are a child or even a teen, it's much more difficult to truly understand something of this magnitude.

Comment

Originally posted by D6+ View Post
              Thanks, DODGER DEB.

I completely understand why you and your sister DEBS went to that stadium during that 15 year period. I'm 1000% confident that none of you wore an LA cap. There's no Brooklyn Dodgers past or present that I'm aware of who has more passion for the Dodgers as you do.

If I was around during the days that the Dodgers fielded a team, I would have likely wanted to go to the Old Timers Day events, in order to support the Dodgers players who deserved recognition. Much like you did. I can well imagine how difficult it was for each of you to be in IMPOSTER stadium.

Even viewing that stadium on TV has become much more difficult over the years, as I've grown to understand the events that took place that lead to the Dodgers being hijacked out of Brooklyn. When you are a child or even a teen, it's much more difficult to truly understand something of this magnitude.
              NEVER, NEVER would wear one of those hats!

As a matter of fact, the first few years all they gave OUR players were those hats, until WE made such an issue out of it, they were finally replaced with hats with OUR "B" on them.

c.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                branch rickey, jackie robinson and a.b happy chandler broke the color barrier. o'malley wasn't even in the picture for that. instead of talking about apple pie and mother hood, it should have been scrooge and the grinch, even the grinch gave what he took back! better yet, mr. potter! that fits. no baseball hall of fame for o'malley, angels may also figure in the dodgers future to. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                Well said, dodger dynamo.

As for the Angels, they are a legit franchise. The only legit MLB franchise in the Los Angeles Metro area.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
                  NEVER, NEVER would wear one of those hats!

As a matter of fact, the first few years all they gave OUR players were those hats, until WE made such an issue out of it, they were finally replaced with hats with OUR "B" on them.

c.

Very good job with that.

Its bad enough that Walter O' Malley took the Dodgers out of Brooklyn. Its that much more compounded when he gave Brooklyn Dodgers players, who never played a game in Los Angeles, an LA cap. If that isn't the definition of IMPOSTER, I'm not sure what is.

Comment

you can have all the tributes to o'malley you want, I'm sure in germany and russia they secretly hold celebrations to. what gets me is when the move happened he wanted to eradicate all that was brooklyn from the dodgers, then when convenient point out the ties there. o'malley only started to rebuild his image after he realized our collective brooklyn memory would not fade. were talking about more than the dodgers here, we love the brooklyn dodgers and people( all other dodger fans ) should not confuse loyalty to a team to the man who once owned them. o'malley would steal the team from you and move it if the price were right. all of the la fans should realize that. o'malley was wrong for moving a beloved supported team with a great history and a bright future, the whole nl market in ny. he was wrong! as the mets success attest. the angels are gaining because they are a home grown product with it's own history, and they have finally become winners. gene autry was great. the dodgers do not belong in la and o'malley did the deal. he devastated the national league baseball landscape in new york. he'd do it to the fans in la if the money was somewhere else. everyone needs to remember that, so be sure you know what your praising before you do it. for these transgressions he should not be allowed into the hof. the fans in brooklyn weren't just robbed they were mugged. the o'malley mugging. the black sox scandal and the o'malley mugging of brooklyn the two biggest baseball catastrophes in 20th century baseball. both were done in the name of money. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Originally posted by The REAL (Los Angeles) Dodgers View Post

As to edging out Rickey, that amounts to accusing O'Malley of being the better businessman (which he probably was). And planning to trade Jackie after 10 years in the majors? Keeping in mind that Jackie was the GREATEST man (and sportsman) ever to play the game, the interests of the Dodgers had to come first, which was O'Malley's motivation, not some sort of evil hatred of the greatest player of all time. NEWS FLASH: Player's careers DON"T LAST FOREVER (although I wish Jackie's could have).

:candle:LONG LIVE THE MEMORY OF WALTER O'MALLEY:candle::bowdown: TO THE HALLTO THE HALLTO THE HALL TO THE HALL

(As I mentioned, O'Malley's contribution to the integration of baseball would be enough to assure his inclusion among baseball's immortals. SO WOULD HAVING THE GOOD SENSE TO MOVE THE DODGERS TO A PLACE WHERE THE WEATHER IS DECENT AND THE TEAM IS LOVED, the best city in the U.S.)

P.S. I usually arrive in the bottom of the first and stay until the eighth. That way, I avoid the rush caused by the large number of fans coming in during the 3rd and leaving during the 7th. You folks in Brooklyn should try it. Oh wait........you don't have a team

The Real (Los Angeles) Dodgers
                      First of all, you suddenly burst into this forum as a brand new member of the forum....I don't for one second believe that....I think you have simply adopted a different screen name and have been lurking here for a while.

And for you to say I haven't done any research is a total indication of your own ignorance...I know far more about Brooklyn Dodger history and the treachery that sub human piece of slime pulled than you ever will.

Oh incidentally, what subway train do you take to get the Chavez Ravine Stadium when your car is indisposed?????? You mean there is no subway or other public transportation that runs to Chavez Ravine Stadium? My goodness gracious, that certainly must do a lot for the smog conditions the city of Angels faces much of the year.

I don't begrude LA getting major league baseball but to call the slime ball a visionary.....if he were a true visionary he would have sold the team to local interests and started an expansion team there or at the very least, and while this would have hurt too but we would have gotten over it, he should have left the name and traditions, colors and logo of the team in Brooklyn the way Art Modell had the decency to do in Cleveland, called his team the Hollywood Stars or something and then in 1962 when expansion came to the National League, the Brooklyn Dodgers could have been reborn as an expansion team and while there would be a 4 year break in their record book, the records and everything associated with the Brooklyn Dodgers would be in this area where it belonged.

There is no reason whatsoever to believe that had the Dodgers remained in the New York area, their revenue stream would have been as good if not better than what the imposter franchise playing in Los Angeles has been able to achieve. And of course to show his true love for the fans of lalaland, the first thing he did was to take the games of his team off of free television whereas in Brooklyn, every home game and 2/3 of the road games were on free television. Did you know that? Did you know he deliberately did not put water fountains into Chavez Ravine Stadium all the better to sell carbonated drinks and beer to his fan thus again increasing his revenues at the expense of simple human decency. Of course, as noted the latest Forbes magazine ranking of the value of the various major league teams places the New York Mets as a more valuable franchise than the imposter franchise playing on the left coast.

So go back to the forum of the imposter organization on the left coast where I am sure you have posted under a different name and trumpet the "accomplishments" of that sub human slime ball....but you don't have a clue what you're talking about.
                      Last edited by MATHA531; 11-10-2007, 01:01 AM.

Comment

oh, and by the way, others would disagree, but we still have a team the brooklyn dodgers and some day maybe sooner than everyone thinks or believes they may be In brooklyn again. no one really knows who's actually posting under these pseudo names, so don't be surprised someday by what you might find out. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                          branch rickey, jackie robinson and a.b happy chandler broke the color barrier. o'malley wasn't even in the picture for that. instead of talking about apple pie and mother hood, it should have been scrooge and the grinch, even the grinch gave what he took back! better yet, mr. potter! that fits. no baseball hall of fame for o'malley, angels may also figure in the dodgers future to. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...nson,%20Jackie

Sometimes its good to do some research.

Comment

Great job, LeoD.
                            ---
                            Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
                            Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Let's hope the people who could extend O'Malley this honor have very long memories and clearly remember the terrible, unnecessry, heart breaking act he was responsible for. What he did was clearly based on greed. People like this should have no place in the HOF.
                              http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko View Post
                                Great job, LeoD.
                                Thank you.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X