O'Malley HOF Vet Committee Finalist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    leo d I, have heard that story about loes and the stadiums peculiarity with the sun and the glare. there was probably more truth in the things that billy said, than anyone thought. maybe he an had insight they didn't, at least in the case with the ground ball in the sun that appears to be true. thanks for the story, I enjoyed hearing it again. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
    Whaaaaaaaaaa?
    ---
    Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
    Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeoD View Post
      We talked about Billy recently on the ERSKINE REFLECTS ON ROBINSON thread, and recalled that Loes once complained that he lost a ground ball hit by Vic Raschi in the sun!

But he wasn't kidding. According to Erskine:

"Ebbets Field faced northeast when you stood at home plate, and the sun was blocked by the outfield stands, making it a dream for the hitter. For the pitcher, however, it was a disadvantage.

"Late in the afternoon, at about the 7th inning or so, the sun would peek through those I beams from the upper deck and would send a piercing ray of light right into the infielders' eyes. For those minutes when this happened, I was literally throwing blind. The hitter had an advantage, and it was dangerous at times."

The incident took place in the 7th inning of Game 6 of the '52 Series, played on October 6th. The Raschi high hopper bounced in such a way it caught the piercing ray of light and blinded Billy when he reached for the high bouncer.

Late afternoon on an October day in New York...sun...shadows...

Maybe in this instance Loes wasn't "spacey" after all.

shlevine42

Harking back to some real fun times, thanks for adding what use to be a familiar sig to your sig, LeoD!

c.

Comment

I think billy basked in his image, just as yogi basks in his statements. maybe some of billy's off the wall stuff was to gain attention, If you read some of his quotes there's an odd off kilter thruth in them. I once heard that bavasi was offering billy a new contract and billy was balking at it and he said, billy you won 13 games and your salary was 13,000. thats a thousand a game. well, billy signed, late in the season billy had won his 13th game and requested a ticket back to brooklyn and whomever he spoke to said, billy we've still got some games left and billy replied, I got paid to win 13 games and I just did that, so I'm going home. crazy or crafty? battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.
        Last edited by dodger dynamo; 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I think billy basked in his image, just as yogi basks in his statements. maybe some of billy's off the wall stuff was to gain attention, If you read some of his quotes there's an odd off kilter thruth in them. I once heard that bavasi was offering billy a new contract and billy was balking at it and he said, billy you won 13 games and your salary was 13,000. thats a thousand a game. well, billy signed, late in the season billy had won his 13th game and requested a ticket back to brooklyn and whomever he spoke to said, billy we've still got some games left and billy replied, I got paid to win 13 games and I just did that, so I'm going home. crazy or crafty? battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.
          That clarifies it, dd. :-)
          ---
          Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
            [/B]

Harking back to some real fun times, thanks for adding what use to be a familiar sig to your sig, LeoD!

c.
            Your welcome, is he not with us anymore?

Comment

Neither..................Weird

Comment

leo d, could be, could be. I heard he also used to sit half way behind a wall when the manager was going through his pre game lecture. the other players looked back and could only see half of him. maybe it was his way of letting them know he wasn't all there. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

I received the following reply via email from Marty Markowitz:

"I completely understand your position...I was 12 when our beloved Dodgers relocated to LALA Land.........I will review the possibility of forwarding a letter to the Veterans Committee expressing the viewpoint of Brooklyn..........thanks for bringing this to my attention......marty"

Comment

Originally posted by Matty View Post
                    I received the following reply via email from Marty Markowitz:

"I completely understand your position...I was 12 when our beloved Dodgers relocated to LALA Land.........I will review the possibility of forwarding a letter to the Veterans Committee expressing the viewpoint of Brooklyn..........thanks for bringing this to my attention......marty"
                    This is very nice.
                    ---
                    Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

You heard it here first:

Though we don't want it to happen, O'Malley will be elected to the Hall of Fame some day.

Comment

Well, you know they say --it happens

Comment

much as we detest it, we really don't get to vote. so yes, it will probably happen someday and it's just another insult that will be added to the injury. If it happens before gil gets in I'm really gonna be upset. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

I received the letter below from Marty Markowitz today (I was bc'd). It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it does sorta raise an interesting question. Would you be more willing to accept O'Malley in the HOF if Gil Hodges also got in? Personally, I wouldn't. I'd just want Hodges in, but I guess you can't have everything.
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is appalling... a great example of "back room politics," indicative of how things are done in Amerika.
                              Mr. Petrosky is disgraceful, as is anyone that would acquiesce to this.
                              Last edited by Ralph Zig Tyko; 11-17-2007, 03:11 PM.
                              ---
                              Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matty View Post
                                I received the letter below from Marty Markowitz today (I was bc'd). It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but it does sorta raise an interesting question. Would you be more willing to accept O'Malley in the HOF if Gil Hodges also got in? Personally, I wouldn't. I'd just want Hodges in, but I guess you can't have everything.
                                THIS is Marty...being Marty!

Having dealt with him on several occasions, I can tell you he never misses a chance to make political points....never!

Many thanks to you, Matty for your efforts, and to all OUR loyal DODGER fans who also took the time to write or email.

c.
                                Last edited by DODGER DEB; 11-17-2007, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X