X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• penncentralpete
    replied
    Originally posted by aqib View Post
    I have no idea how, but I guess the HBO Documentary softened the perceptions of him and he is now in the Hall. I hope you guys do go and protest and boo, it would be well deserved.
    next summer, i will attend the HOF ceremonies. my BIG MOUTH will not stop! what an outrage. if i'm not arrested by the time they announce BOOOOOOOY kuhn, i'll BOO the heck out of that one, too!

Leave a comment:

• D6+
    replied
    Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Today's election of O'Malley to the Hall Of Fame must belike swallowing Cyanide to a true Brooklyn fan.
    I feel the revulsion all the way down the NJ Turnpike in Philadelphia. Brooklyn fans, you have my sympathies.

-phillies fiend 55

Thanks, philliesfiend55. You summed up the situation extremely well.

In 1957, if the Dodgers were owned by then Phillies owner Ruliph Carpenter, the franchise never would have been hijacked out of Brooklyn.

Leave a comment:

• philliesfiend55
    replied
    Today's election of O'Malley to the Hall Of Fame must belike swallowing Cyanide to a true Brooklyn fan.
    I feel the revulsion all the way down the NJ Turnpike in Philadelphia. Brooklyn fans, you have my sympathies.

-phillies fiend 55

Leave a comment:

• aqib
    replied
    Well it happened

I have no idea how, but I guess the HBO Documentary softened the perceptions of him and he is now in the Hall. I hope you guys do go and protest and boo, it would be well deserved.

Leave a comment:

• shotten1947
    replied
    Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
    [/B]

Truer words were never spoken, shotten1947. Thank you for stating them, once again, to remind everyone who visits US.

BTW, welcome to OUR forum, a very unique place here on BBF. WE always enjoy adding to OUR numbers.

c.
    Thank you for the welcome, hopefully I can contribute something to the forum. People need to know the truth about O'Malley.

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    Billy Loes

Originally posted by tonypug View Post
    That is a great picture, I haven't seen one before. The Mets thought that Loes was going to pitch for them in 1962. In fact Loes rode on the Mets float in the 1961 Macys Thansgiving day parade. Then in typical Loes fashion he never showed up for spring training. Billy always marched to a different drummer.
    thank you robert. here's another:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dodger dynamo
    replied
    how did the salary deal work with the mets draftees?. same as players traded or on an individual basis, like usual. or was there a rule as to a standard salarly for expansion teams?. what happens if you refuse to go?, the season starts and then you've got another team who wants to sign you does the expansion team have a right of first refusal even though their roster is filled? not up on mets or expansion rules especially at the time. maybe billy wanted more money? battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Zig Tyko
    replied
    tonypug

A smart man, Billy Loes. Those 1962 Mets were not a pretty picture.
    Here's a link to a post I wrote on my blog, a while back:
    http://pushpull.wordpress.com/2007/0...-way-reposted/

Leave a comment:

• tonypug
    replied
    Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
    Billy Loes:
    That is a great picture, I haven't seen one before. The Mets thought that Loes was going to pitch for them in 1962. In fact Loes rode on the Mets float in the 1961 Macys Thansgiving day parade. Then in typical Loes fashion he never showed up for spring training. Billy always marched to a different drummer.

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    Billy Loes

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    billy loes retired at the end of 61. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
    Billy Loes:
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Originally posted by shotten1947 View Post
    After the move to LA was announced, things weren't moving fast enough to suit O'Malley. There was a problem getting the okay to getting the Chavez Ravine property. There were people in LA who questioned whether what they were doing was legal. O'Malley then announced in the newspapers that if things weren't settled tohis satisfaction, the Dodgers just might have to play in Brooklyn in 1958. After a couple of days of O'Malley's bluster, he was actually told by National League President Warren Giles, to shut up. Giles told O'Malley that he made the move and he would just have to deal with his problems. The fact is he knew as early as 1955 that LA was where he wanted to go but in typical O'Malley fashion he was going to squeeze out as much blood as he could,and it didn't matter how much he hurt other people.

Truer words were never spoken, shotten1947. Thank you for stating them, once again, to remind everyone who visits US.

BTW, welcome to OUR forum, a very unique place here on BBF. WE always enjoy adding to OUR numbers.

c.

Leave a comment:

• shotten1947
    replied
    Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    I think he would have made up some elaborate story about how he rested the dodgers from the clutches of unscrupulous politicians and that he found a way to move back to new york. or another city that would have taken him, however that large market in la was the only option to him with out that, I think he would have said ok both cities are on to me, but I can look like a hero in new york if I come back and twist it so it looks like I squashed the deal, also the only nl team in ny would have been sweet deal, especially after a defeat. unless another site could be found in a hurry. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
    After the move to LA was announced, things weren't moving fast enough to suit O'Malley. There was a problem getting the okay to getting the Chavez Ravine property. There were people in LA who questioned whether what they were doing was legal. O'Malley then announced in the newspapers that if things weren't settled tohis satisfaction, the Dodgers just might have to play in Brooklyn in 1958. After a couple of days of O'Malley's bluster, he was actually told by National League President Warren Giles, to shut up. Giles told O'Malley that he made the move and he would just have to deal with his problems. The fact is he knew as early as 1955 that LA was where he wanted to go but in typical O'Malley fashion he was going to squeeze out as much blood as he could,and it didn't matter how much he hurt other people.

Leave a comment:

• dodger dynamo
    replied
    I think he would have made up some elaborate story about how he rested the dodgers from the clutches of unscrupulous politicians and that he found a way to move back to new york. or another city that would have taken him, however that large market in la was the only option to him with out that, I think he would have said ok both cities are on to me, but I can look like a hero in new york if I come back and twist it so it looks like I squashed the deal, also the only nl team in ny would have been sweet deal, especially after a defeat. unless another site could be found in a hurry. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Leave a comment:

• aqib
    replied
    Also keep in mind HE did select Chavez Ravine. Even according to Mayor Hahn's son they flew over LA in a helicopter and he saw Chavez Ravine and said that was the spot he wanted to build. I am curious what he would have done had the ballot issue for the new stadium. Would he have had to move back or fine another city to take him.

Leave a comment:

• dodger dynamo
    replied
    now, if people were still on the land when the dodger deal was made, o'malley would have had buzzie down there personally packing peoples bags, because we know what he was capable of. you see we from brooklyn know who we were dealing with. it just so happened that had already been done for him by the la officials, before he was in the picture. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X