This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dodger Game on WOR-TV

[QUOTE=DODGER DEB;480250]In addition to the two history threads already posted, I thought it appropriate to set up a thread for OUR BROOKLYN DODGER LITERATURE.

I will start by posting this book, written by RED BARBER in 1947, the beginning of OUR incredible 10 year run (1947/1957). There have been many, many books written about OUR BROOKLYN DODGERS, so please include them here on this thread for all to see.

Sorry, but this is a different subject. Understand from members at the other Dodger site (Brooklyn Dodger Memories) that you are the expert on the Dodgers of the 50's. PennPete passed on a query of mine to you, but I never got an answer. Here it is: I recall when watching the Dodgers at home on WOR-TV (circa 1953-56), the opening scenario to the broadcast was as follows: A subjective view of fan walking into the rotunda, getting tickets, walking into the stadium, stopping at a hot dog stand, ordering two hot dogs (by showing two fingers [like a victory sign]), then walking to his seat. An usher wipes off the seat and then the broadcast starts. Nobody on the other site seems to remember this. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
      The new bio of Gil Hodges is out tomorrow:

Gil Hodges: The Brooklyn Bums, the Miracle Mets, and the Extraordinary Life of a Baseball Legend

http://www.amazon.com/Gil-Hodges-Bro...rds=gil+hodges

I don't know anything about the first author listed, Tom Clavin...but I like Danny Peary's work a great deal.
      They teamed up on a Roger Maris bio that came out last year, but I have not read that one.
      I just finished the Maris bio earlier this summer. It was a pretty decent book, lots of research into his family and earlier life to really bring Roger out as a real person, not just some sports legend. Lots of good research into his injuries and ill treatment by the NY media, love of KC and St. Louis, dream of owning a beer distributing business, even some writers later apologizing for their treatment of him in the book.

If these guys teamed up on a Gil Hodges bio, I am going to grab a copy. I imagine it will read as well as the Maris bio, and be just as packed with information too. Like many here, I have also read bios on these guys, but I really liked this team of authors and the job they did on Roger Maris, so I am excited to see how they bring the life of Gil Hodges to me from the pages of this book.
      "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X