Game 7, 1956

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game 7, 1956

I was always under the impression that Newcombe's poor effort in game 7 cost the Dodgers the series that year. In looking at the boxscore, I am not quite so sure. Newk was yanked in the top of the 5th when Elston Howard hit a gargantuan homer to right to make it 5-0 New York. This was not a good effort by any means, but Roger Craig really stunk up the joint giving up 4 more runs in relief in the 7th. Why didn't they keep Bessent in? He was mowing the Yanks down. Anyway, my hypothesis is that the dodgers poor hitting that day really doomed them. Keep in mind the fact that they scored 1 run in the last three games of the Series, 5 in the last 6! Was Johnny Kucks that overpowering? The Dodger batters, except for Gil and maybe Duke, could have put up more of a fight in that game and in the Series as a whole.
    sigpic

they should have kept bessent in and got ed roe buck ready. I belive labine pitched the day before. however I think to really beat the yanks you need a good lefty, no johnny podres or preacher roe. koufax really wasn't that kind of pitcher yet. I always thought that for some reason lefties were better at beating the yanks. If there's a game seven I'm pitching the lefty. newcombe gave up the five runs, but when you see the final score, part of you believes it was all newk, we know it wasn't, but a part of us believes it and shotgun your right, it wasn't all newk fault. 5 runs is something the brooklyn dodgers were capable of over coming, especially off johnny kucks. well alston was managing and I was never happy with him. even when they won in 55, I thought they could have managed themselves to the series victory. I'm from the old school, if the pitchers getting people out and this is the world series game seven, no tomorrow, he stay's in until he gets hit pretty good or the games over.

Comment

all i can remember (i was 10) is when skowron hit the grand slam off craig in the yankees' 7th, my father turned off the television. i went to bed that night wearing both my baseball glove and my brooklyn cap. when my mother came in to tuck me in she kept saying over and over in a whisper and with tears in her eyes:: "the dumb dodgers.....the dumb dodgers.....the dumb dodgers.....". i was too young to think alston had made any bad decisions. that winter was when newcombe really got ripped.......as a choke (unfairly, i think to this day).
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

fifty-one years later, my hindsight is almost 20/20. alston couldn't leave bessent in that game trailing by five runs in the 6th inning..........he had to pinch-hit for him (mitchell grounded out).
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

pete when he pinch hit for bessent do you know how many outs there were or if any body was on base?. it's been along time and I really can't remember. I still think craig was a bad choice. even though we won game six, I think the yanks were pretty confidant after game five. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
            pete when he pinch hit for bessent do you know how many outs there were or if any body was on base?. it's been along time and I really can't remember. I still think craig was a bad choice. even though we won game six, I think the yanks were pretty confidant after game five. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo.
            alston pinch-hit mitchell to lead off the dodger inning, down, 5-0.

Comment

In hind sight down five runs and if I recall there really was no better pinch hitter on the bench than mitchell. I think after mitchell, maybe I put koufax in with instructions to scare them. even if I only use him for a couple of batters so even if he was wild he would acomplish the job. If he had his control, then we might have pulled it off. I wish we had had podres for game 7. crazy strategy? I think the brooks were still trying to get over being no hit. I think when vern bickford of the boston braves did it was the only other time it had ever happened before to the 48-56 dodgers. I know their professionals and not supposed to let something like that get them down, but I think it did. I'm glad they won game 6. I'm still wishing they had that great seasoned lefty for game 7. a few years later and sandy would have left them crying. battlin bake the dodger dynamo

Comment

In retrospect, you of course could never lead off an inning, 5 runs down, with a pitcher. That was cloudy thinking by me. Why did the dodgers hit so poorly though?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun Shuba View Post
                  In retrospect, you of course could never lead off an inning, 5 runs down, with a pitcher. That was cloudy thinking by me. Why did the dodgers hit so poorly though?
                  who knows? kucks only struck out ONE (walked 3). duke had two of the three dodgers' hits that afternoon. the brooks were in a hitting slump, scoring 3 runs in the final four games.

Comment

now, I know newks reputation, but was he sick or hurt up to game seven?. I think after 26 wins I might have pitched him in game 3. don't know when the last regular game he pitched was, so I'm giving him the first two to recover. now in game 3 up two games to none he might have relaxed as the pressure was off. if he gets one win against the yanks, then he knows he can beat them. if newcombe wins game three and the yanks beat labine in game six then we have a confidant newk in game 7. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                    Last edited by dodger dynamo; 11-18-2007, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X