Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembering OUR CAMPY....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If he hadn't had that accident, he probably would have lived longer and more than likely would have continued in base ball in a much more visible way than he did. he was such a nice guy. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
      If he hadn't had that accident, he probably would have lived longer and more than likely would have continued in base ball in a much more visible way than he did. he was such a nice guy. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
      I still think he's one of the three greatest catchers ever. People always say Bench, Berra, Cochrane, Dickey, or possibly Fisk. Campanella was 26 when he came to the majors, and that included about a 12 year career in the negro leagues. Rob Neer of ESPN wrote an article in May of 2004, in which he said Campanella was overrated, and didn't hit his last 3 seasons. I have to disagree, as I feel Campy was one of the most complete catchers, in that he was a powerful hitter, and a smart fielder.

      I like Yogi Berra, but Yogi was not a good defensive catcher when he came up tot he majors, as has been noted. Great lousy-pitch hitter, but I think Campy was more techically sound behind the plate. Berra also had the fortune of being on the dominant Yankee teams in the 1950s.

      Comment


      • #18
        I agree, you give campy a full career, four years before 48 and at least two or three after the accident and wow! what would his numbers have been?. In my opinion. campy was thee best. now of course I'm a dodger fan, but If you look at it logically, campy put up great numbers in a shortened career. he won the r.o.y award, three mvp's. he caught an outstanding game. how many all stars were on that team and campy still stood out. just great. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
          I agree, you give campy a full career, four years before 48 and at least two or three after the accident and wow! what would his numbers have been?. In my opinion. campy was thee best. now of course I'm a dodger fan, but If you look at it logically, campy put up great numbers in a shortened career. he won the r.o.y award, three mvp's. he caught an outstanding game. how many all stars were on that team and campy still stood out. just great. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
          i will agree with almost everything you've said above, dynamo, except campanella was not R.O.Y. (rookie of the year). roy's first season (1948), richie ashburn of the phillies won that honor. just keeping you on your toes!
          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
          http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

          Comment


          • #20
            1948 rookie of the year

            Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
            i will agree with almost everything you've said above, dynamo, except campanella was not R.O.Y. (rookie of the year). roy's first season (1948), richie ashburn of the phillies won that honor. just keeping you on your toes!
            According to mlb.com, Alvin Dark of the Boston Braves won the Rookie of the Year in 1948 (I thought it was Campanella, also, so I looked it up). Campanella was MVP in 1951, 1953 and 1955.

            Comment


            • #21
              you see, I'm mostly going from memory here so it's verrry fallible after 50-60 yrs. especially if you haven't kept up on it the way so many have in the forum. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
              Last edited by dodger dynamo; 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Rookie of the Year

                Originally posted by disgrig View Post
                According to mlb.com, Alvin Dark of the Boston Braves won the Rookie of the Year in 1948 (I thought it was Campanella, also, so I looked it up). Campanella was MVP in 1951, 1953 and 1955.
                disgig: yes, the basball writers of america honored alvin dark the award. the sporting news honored richie ashburn. you are right, the "official" winner would be "blacky"
                you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                  you see, I'm mostly going from memory here so it's verrry fallible after 50-60 yrs. especially if you haven't kept up on it the way so many have in the forum. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                  I mis-remembered it just the other day also, when I told a co-worker that Campanella was the rookie of the year in 1948.

                  Comment

                  Ad Widget

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X