Dodger Rookies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dodger Rookies

In the seven year period covering the seasons from 1947 through 1953, five products of Brooklyn's minor league organization were named the National League's "Rookie of The Year"- Jackie Robinson in 1947, Don Newcombe in 1949, Sam Jethroe who was sold to the Braves in 1950, Joe Black in 1952 and Junior Gilliam in 1953.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

they were all branch rickey finds. well, his scouts helped to. yet, for some reason except for robinson, most of the dodger players don't really mention him much. I think o'malley put the fear of priasing rickey too much in them. It is amazing though how many great players he found, how many of them won the r.o.y and many of those core players he signed were still playing 10 yrs. later. just phenomenal. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Its also interesting to note that each of the above mentioned players came out of the Negro Leagues. You make an interesting point dodger dynamo, other then Robinson and Carl Furillo no Dodger has to my knowledge publicly knocked O'Malley. Furillo was blackballed from baseball for his troubles, and Robinson was never ever offered a job in baseball as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by tonypug View Post
        In the seven year period covering the seasons from 1947 through 1953, five products of Brooklyn's minor league organization were named the National League's "Rookie of The Year"- Jackie Robinson in 1947, Don Newcombe in 1949, Sam Jethroe who was sold to the Braves in 1950, Joe Black in 1952 and Junior Gilliam in 1953.
        here they all are:
        Attached Files
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

I even heard something by george shuba, where he blamed moses mostly for the move. I think if they could stand back they might see it a little different. they were probably too involved in the whole mess. what would rickey have done with the team in the 50's, more r.o.y players and a bigger better brooklyn dynasty. the man was a genious at knowing talent. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo. we need to shout about the mahatma more. cheap yes, but a baseball man. where is branch rickey when you need him. luck is the residue of design. o'malley's luck was benifiting from rickey's design.

Comment

Here is an interesting trivia question I once heard:

Which Dodger rookie had the most RBIs in 1947?

Ans: Spider Jorgensen had 67. (Jackie had 48)

Comment

Originally posted by Matty View Post

hi matty: that is interesting. jackie scored 125 runs in '47. spider scored 57. i always considered spider a fine player (good nickname, too). jorgy was a needed platoon guy.
              you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

And just think Roberto Clemente came through the Dodgers farm system as well, during this time.

Comment

rookies

And just think Roberto Clemente came through the Dodgers farm system as well, during this time.
                  i sometimes daydream about a dodger outfield with clemente in it. then i realize, roberto came up in 1955. he had a mediocre rookie season. it wasn't until '56 that clemente began to show his abilities, and in '57, actually slumped. roberto really "took off" starting in 1958 and after. my point is that he would have starred for the WRONG team anyway (if you get my drift).

Comment

Clemente

here's a very young Roberto....
                    Attached Files

Comment

Roberto

here'side of Clemente's rookie card. sorry for the poor scan....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Spiderman

Originally posted by Matty View Post

here's the Spiderman.....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Pete, thanks for showing the back of the Clemente card. As you can see from his Montreal stats, he was used very sparingly in an attempt to hide him and sneak him through the draft. Then along came Branch Rickey.

Comment

Pete, thanks for showing the back of the Clemente card. As you can see from his Montreal stats, he was used very sparingly in an attempt to hide him and sneak him through the draft. Then along came Branch Rickey.
                            yes, the dodgers tried to "hide" roberto, once listing him as a PITCHER. this, obviously fooled no one.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X