Robins/dodgers question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robins/dodgers question

Looking for any information anyone may have regarding if teams even had rings in those days? Or what this may be

Originally posted by Mrkoontz View Post
    Looking for any information anyone may have regarding if teams even had rings in those days? Or what this may be
    Frank Allen (whose name is on the ring) was a pitcher for Brooklyn starting with the 1912 season and continuing through 1914 (the year that is on the ring). 1914 was the first season that Wilbert Robinson was the team's manager, and the press began calling the team the Robins, sometimes, but also still the Superbas and Dodgers. Team nicknames were mostly informal then, like "Bronx Bombers" is now for the Yankees. Allen apparently left the team late in the season to sign with Pittsburgh in the Federal League, and stayed with Pittsburgh through the 1915 season.

Rings are usually given to players at the end of a season, or later. If rings such as the one in the photograph had been given to the players when the 1914 season had ended, it would seem odd that a ring would have been given to Allen, who had jumped to the outlaw Federal League. Also, it seems unlikely that the Robins nickname would be on a ring made at that time, since that was just one of three unofficial names for the club that were used in the press. "Brooklyn Baseball Club" would be the most probable name.

I do not have any definitive information about this ring, but I think it is most likely that it was made years later, perhaps to celebrate a milestone in Robinson's managerial career with Brooklyn. (He continued to manage them through the 1931 season.) Perhaps after 10 or 15 seasons, or at the conclusion of Robinson's managerial career, the rings were made for players who appeared at an Old Timers' gathering at Ebbets Field that honored Robinson. You can browse the archives of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle to look for such an event.

Comment

I hadn’t thought of the old timers possibility thank you so much, he didn’t jump to federal league until after national league season ended.l will dig further in the archives you recommended, thanks again

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X