O'Malley's Letters on Omalley.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'Malley's Letters on Omalley.com

While looking around the Internet earlier I came across a website called walteromalley.com. The biography is the usual junk and lies about him being a visionary and stuff like that, but there is also a business correspondence section that contains photographs of actual business correspondence between O'Malley and others such as Robert Moses, the publisher of the Brooklyn Eagle, John Cashmore and so forth.

Some of these are interesting in that I never realized that 4th Ave and 17th-20th St. in Brooklyn and Long Island City and Rego Park were also considered for ball parks.

Another interesting letter I found was one from December 17, 1953 with O'Malley mentioning (threatening might be too harsh) Los Angeles to Robert Moses.

I wonder if anyone else has read these letters and what they might make of it.

http://www.walteromalley.com/docu_gallery.php?gallery=1

I remember finding this a couple of years ago. Its production values are very nice, like Dodger Stadium. The historical value of the documents and other information is hard to deny. It's good that they're available.

But the site is very cunning (like The Big O himself) in that it got me to swallow -- for a while -- the idea that Robert Moses was the man responsible.

Comment

Some of those letters do make interesting reading, however, when entering that website, as VI noted, there should be a HUGE red sign that says:

CAUTION - YOU ARE ENTERING A REAL "SPIN ZONE"

c.

Comment

Well everybody should be aware they're only going to put up what they want. I'm sure there's a lot we'll never see or has been destroyed. nothing is going to be posted that makes the big o' look bad. it would be nice for the sake of a factual history to have all correspondance including that originating from la. then let us read it all and let the world decide for itself. let the history chips fall where they may. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
        Last edited by dodger dynamo; 12-08-2007, 06:17 PM.

Comment

There are a great many other letters that have not been 'published' for public consumption, and a number of the letters are blacked out or edited for content. Much of the official city of New York correspondence from Moses to O'Malley is the same: some letters restricted, (cough)*confidential* (cough), blacked out.

The site manager is a very affable and helpful fellow but an employee of the LA Dodgers. he contacted me directly when he learned of my own work regarding O'Malley and the Dodgers move through a still-unknown (to me) third party.

Comment

I recently finished reading most of the correspondence through the end of 1957. Although it's obvious that the L.A. people who maintain the website pick and choose which letters to use and which parts to gray out, there still isn't one letter where O'Malley blames Moses for causing the Dodgers to abandon Brooklyn. At best, O'Malley blames the inertia of NYC politicians, specifically the NYC Board of Estimate, but even to the last, O'Malley was inviting his friend "Bob" to baseball games at Ebbets Field.

He and Moses, for the most part, were always cordial, if not downright friendly in their correspondence and it seemed like both were trying to work out a solution together. At one point, both O'Malley and "Bob" were receptive to the Flushing Meadows site, although O'Malley had a few complaints about it being inconvenient for lack of highways.

Without comparable newspaper reports, it's hard to tell at what point O'Malley went from wanting to stay in Brooklyn to deciding it was hopeless. Perhaps there were a few items of correspondence missing from L.A. promising some more cake or O'M asking for more.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
              Some of those letters do make interesting reading, however, when entering that website, as VI noted, there should be a HUGE red sign that says:

CAUTION - YOU ARE ENTERING A REAL "SPIN ZONE"

c.
              Wasn't the site created by the O'M family to honor dear old Dad.

Copyright © 2003-2007 O'Malley Seidler Partners, LLC. All rights reserved.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoD View Post

Indeed it was, LeoD!

c.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoD View Post

It was created to get the fat man into the HOF, and in that regard it was a success.
                  Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
                  www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

An interesting new development: now, when you enter the search term "Brooklyn Dodgers" in Google, the first result that comes up (in a green box) is walteromalley.com.

This is a sponsored link -- i.e., bought and paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by callingit View Post
                      There are a great many other letters that have not been 'published' for public consumption, and a number of the letters are blacked out or edited for content. Much of the official city of New York correspondence from Moses to O'Malley is the same: some letters restricted, (cough)*confidential* (cough), blacked out.

The site manager is a very affable and helpful fellow but an employee of the LA Dodgers. he contacted me directly when he learned of my own work regarding O'Malley and the Dodgers move through a still-unknown (to me) third party.
                      If you have done work on O'Malley, perhaps you can help me out. There is all this revisionist history out there how O'Malley wasn't really that bad, and it was all Moses' fault. The way I see it, that son of a bitch always planned to move to L.A. Did he make more money doing it? Sure. But Bob Carpenter had the chance to make a lot more money by moving the Phillies to NYC, and his response was, "but this team IS Philadelphia." O'Malley didn't say that, and in moving he stole my childhood from me. I will never, ever forgive him.

Comment

Folks, the move out of Brooklyn, while it had a lot to do with money, also had a lot to do with O'Malley's ego. As long as the Dodgers stayed in Brooklyn, O'Malley could never be "The Man." he would always be overshadowed by Charles Ebbets, Larry MacPhail and his arch enemy Branch Rickey. Any mention of the Brooklyn Dodgers always evokes those men's names, especially Branch Rickey. We all know had the Dodgers remained in Brooklyn and followed the course of the New York Mets, O'Malley would have been just as rich, but would never be 'The Man." In LA he is the father of major league baseball on the west coast. He is revered, a hero, something that he never could have achieved had he remained in NYC. O'Malley worked long and hard to remove Brooklyn from peoples memory banks. Why because even today when Brooklyn is mentioned in almost any context, it evokes memories of the Dodgers, Jackie Robinson and BRANCH RICKEY.

Comment

You mean this letter (1957) was B.S.? Oh my!
                          Attached Files
                          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                          http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

One thing that nags me is how was he planning to build a stadium for $5 million even at 1957 prices? The stadium at Chavez Ravine cost $23 million and they broke ground in 1959.

Comment

That letter wasn't worth the paper it was printed on. O'Malley kept talking out of both sides of his enormous mouth. He wanted his own ballpark, yet kept saying he had $5,000,000 to invest in municipal bonds, that would help build a city owned stadium.His lease on Ebbets Field would not have run out until 1959 and he renewed that option, so there was time to wait had he wanted to. Other teams were showing interest in LA, so that was why O'Malley was running out of time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X