No announcement yet.

O'Malley's Letters on Omalley.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been stated many times in many places, that the city of Los Angeles was represented by a delegation at the 1956 WS. When OMalley looked down from his royal vantage point, he saw LA city officials meeting with the owners of the Washington Senators. That was the last straw, as LA pulled their ace card and Walter had to commit or lose LA. Goodbye Brooklyn; hello LA Dodgers, SF Giants, and Minnesota Twins.

Comment

What many people don't remember, but O'Malley knew was no one could go into LA without buying the rights from Phil Wrigley. O'Malley knew that Wrigley wouldn't sell to an american league team. He also knew that the pressure would have been tremendous on Wrigley to allow a major league team to move to LA. The time was right to make his move. What upsets me is that O'Malley is hailed as the man who brought major league baseball to LA. It was going to happen with or without O'Malley, it was time for it to happen.
      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

Was Walter looking as far back as 1946?
        Attached Files
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
          Was Walter looking as far back as 1946?
          Yes, as far as leaving Ebbets Field, and Maybe Brooklyn. Once O'Malley found out how much it would cost to renovate Ebbets Field, Ebbets Field was doomed. Don't forget it was just a few years before that the St. Louis Browns were going to move to LA, but were stopped by WWII, Don't think that wasn't in the back of O'Malley's mind.

Comment

Was this the beginning of the end-game Walter was playing?
            Attached Files
            you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
            http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Re: the Prager letter. Remember that by then O'Malley was a part-owner. Did he act on his own or with others? Hard to say. Rickey handled the baseball and didn't worry quite so much about the business end, near as I can tell.

I think we can and should distinguish between wanting to replace Ebbets Field and wanting to move out of Brooklyn. Not because they are entirely separate, but a case can be made for a new stadium. Remember that Ebbets Field was landlocked and couldn't easily expand. Renovating it probably would not have been possible in an off-season. So, say what one will about O'Malley, and as wonderful a place as Ebbets Field was, it also had its problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Green View Post
                Re: the Prager letter. Remember that by then O'Malley was a part-owner. Did he act on his own or with others? Hard to say. Rickey handled the baseball and didn't worry quite so much about the business end, near as I can tell.

I think we can and should distinguish between wanting to replace Ebbets Field and wanting to move out of Brooklyn. Not because they are entirely separate, but a case can be made for a new stadium. Remember that Ebbets Field was landlocked and couldn't easily expand. Renovating it probably would not have been possible in an off-season. So, say what one will about O'Malley, and as wonderful a place as Ebbets Field was, it also had its problems.
                Needing a new stadium and moving, no doubt started as two seperate issues, but became one and the same. While a case could be made for a new stadium, had it been cleaned up and maintained properly, it could have lasted, I don't know, maybe as long as Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. But let us not forget, escaping the large shadow of Branch Rickey was as big a reason for the move to LA as was getting a new stadium, which would have happened eventually.

Comment

I will concede that these writings do have some measure of historical value. But then, so do the memoirs of Benedict Arnold:

http://books.google.com/books?id=oo1...age&q=&f=false

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X