Son of Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son of Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna

My name is Greg DiGiovanna and I am the eldest son of Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna, Batboy of the 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers. While reading some of the most recent threads regarding my father, I thought I would post some of my own factual and true historical information about Charlie "The Brow" and his connection to the Dodger Organization.

First, a little about the Charlie DiGiovanna family. Charlie and Shirley DiGiovanna married in 1951 and had three children, Greg (me) the eldest son, Rita, the only daughter and Charlie boy (passed away). Charlie & Shirley lived in Long Is., NY with their three children while Charlie worked for the Brooklyn Dodger Organization.

Charlie started out with the Dodgers as a Turnstile checker as a young boy in the earlier 1940's, when he was offer a job by Leo Durocher while recovering in the hospital from a bout of rheumatic fever, which left his heart permanently damaged.

Charlie quickly became a favorite in the Dodger Clubhouse and was promoted to visiting team batboy at Ebbets Field. After a very short time, Charlie then became the Brooklyn Dodger home team batboy, even traveling with the Dodgers on their road games. Charlie was given the honor of being the batboy for the 1947 National League All Star Team.

Charlie continued to serve as the Brooklyn Dodger home team batboy through the 1956 season, when he was promoted to Assistant Clubhouse Manager. Charlie was the Brooklyn Dodger batboy during their many Pennant and World Series seasons, including the Brooklyn Dodger's first World Series Championship in 1955. Charlie was awarded his very own World Series ring, which I still have in my possession; he also was voted in for a 'one-half ' share of the World Series Championship bonus.

As most of you know by now, part of "The Brow's" job was autographing Dodger Team baseballs, as he is still known to be the most skilled and considered by many to be the best sports autograph forger of all time.

Our family moved to California with the Dodgers in Jan. 1958, when the Brooklyn Dodgers became the L.A. Dodgers, as Charlie remained with the L.A. Dodgers as their Equipment Manager. We settled in Long Beach, Ca, until my father passed away from a heart attack, at the of 28, on Dec. 28, 1958. My father suffered with a heart condition all his life due to his childhood bout with rheumatic fever.

Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna was a generous & hard workingman, who was loved by everyone whom ever got to know him. I could write much more about my beloved father, but this is not the place to do so, I just thought it was time to set the record straight on some facts concerning my father's life.

Please feel free to contact me to hear more about Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna.

P.S. My mother Shirley passed away two years ago, on August 24, 2005, at the age of 72.

Greg DiGiovanna
    Mount Vernon, WA
    [email protected] or [email protected]

Originally posted by Greg_DiGiovanna View Post
    My name is Greg DiGiovanna and I am the eldest son of Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna, Batboy of the 1950's Brooklyn Dodgers. While reading some of the most recent threads regarding my father, I thought I would post some of my own factual and true historical information about Charlie "The Brow" and his connection to the Dodger Organization.

First, a little about the Charlie DiGiovanna family. Charlie and Shirley DiGiovanna married in 1951 and had three children, Greg (me) the eldest son, Rita, the only daughter and Charlie boy (passed away). Charlie & Shirley lived in Long Is., NY with their three children while Charlie worked for the Brooklyn Dodger Organization.

Charlie started out with the Dodgers as a Turnstile checker as a young boy in the earlier 1940's, when he was offer a job by Leo Durocher while recovering in the hospital from a bout of rheumatic fever, which left his heart permanently damaged.

Charlie quickly became a favorite in the Dodger Clubhouse and was promoted to visiting team batboy at Ebbets Field. After a very short time, Charlie then became the Brooklyn Dodger home team batboy, even traveling with the Dodgers on their road games. Charlie was given the honor of being the batboy for the 1947 National League All Star Team.

Charlie continued to serve as the Brooklyn Dodger home team batboy through the 1956 season, when he was promoted to Assistant Clubhouse Manager. Charlie was the Brooklyn Dodger batboy during their many Pennant and World Series seasons, including the Brooklyn Dodger's first World Series Championship in 1955. Charlie was awarded his very own World Series ring, which I still have in my possession; he also was voted in for a 'one-half ' share of the World Series Championship bonus.

As most of you know by now, part of "The Brow's" job was autographing Dodger Team baseballs, as he is still known to be the most skilled and considered by many to be the best sports autograph forger of all time.

Our family moved to California with the Dodgers in Jan. 1958, when the Brooklyn Dodgers became the L.A. Dodgers, as Charlie remained with the L.A. Dodgers as their Equipment Manager. We settled in Long Beach, Ca, until my father passed away from a heart attack, at the of 28, on Dec. 28, 1958. My father suffered with a heart condition all his life due to his childhood bout with rheumatic fever.

Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna was a generous & hard workingman, who was loved by everyone whom ever got to know him. I could write much more about my beloved father, but this is not the place to do so, I just thought it was time to set the record straight on some facts concerning my father's life.

Please feel free to contact me to hear more about Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna.

P.S. My mother Shirley passed away two years ago, on August 24, 2005, at the age of 72.

Greg DiGiovanna
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Your Father dying at age 28, is even sadder then reported here many times, that Charlie died at age 31, in 1961.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_DiGiovanna View Post

Greg DiGiovanna
      Mount Vernon, WA
      Thank you so much for joining US on OUR Forum, Greg. A warm welcome to you.

Most everything you stated is much like I remembered it, at least since around 1951. My recollection of your Dad's passing was always before 1961 and closer to Campy's accident in 1958 because I remember how sad WE felt at losing yet another member of OUR family, after just losing OUR Team. I also remember it being very cold with snow on the ground when WE went to his wake and funeral.

Your Dad was a wonderful human being, kind, and funny.....and, yes, very hard-working. My sister DEBS, and I were at OUR Ebbets Field everyday, and your Dad always treated US great.

You are kost welcome to join in any of OUR discussions, and perhaps add more memories of your Dad.

c.

Comment

49th anniversary of Charlie "the Brow" DiGiovanna's passing

Dec. 28, 2007 marks the 49th anniversary of Charlie "The Brow" DiGiovanna's passing. On this day, I remember, like it was yesterday, losing my father to a major heart attack while we were all sleeping in our home in Long Beach, CA . Charlie suffered all his life with a severe heart condition, from having contracted rhuematic fever as a child. His scarred heart never stopped "The Brow" from always giving his all at whatever he attempted and he always lived life to the fullest, sharing himself unselfishly with everyone who crossed his path. I still struggle during this time of year, having lost my dad just three days after Christmas when I was only eight years old, but the wonderful memories he left us with have always kept me above the water line of life. God bless all of you "Dodger Blues" who have help kept his memory alive all these years.

Greg DiGiovanna, Eldest Son of the Charlie "The Brow"

Comment

thanks greg for telling us the real story. I'm so glad you took the time to share the info. your dad was much loved by all of us. we all still remember even after all these years. he was a unique part of the brooklyn dodger team and image. best wishes for you and your family now and in the new year. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

p.s there's a book called brooklyns dodgers, the bums, the borough and the best of base ball by carl e. prince. there's a lot of erroneous info in it, for instance the part about your dad not moving with the team. thanks so much for clearing it up. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
              thanks greg for telling us the real story. I'm so glad you took the time to share the info. your dad was much loved by all of us. we all still remember even after all these years. he was a unique part of the brooklyn dodger team and image. best wishes for you and your family now and in the new year. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
              Thanks dynamo, it's always bugged me when I read all the mis-information about my father, and I thought this was a great forum to clear some things up about my dad and our family. Dodger Blue, through & through...

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                p.s there's a book called brooklyns dodgers, the bums, the borough and the best of base ball by carl e. prince. there's a lot of erroneous info in it, for instance the part about your dad not moving with the team. thanks so much for clearing it up. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                Yes, I know that there is lots of mis-information out there about my dad & our family, and that's why I decided to join this forum, and especially during this week, and on this day in particualr, the anniversary of Charlie "The Brow"s passing, to clear up some things.
                God bless...
                Last edited by Greg_DiGiovanna; 12-29-2007, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X