A New Team In Brooklyn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Team In Brooklyn?

Please excuse me, but I am relatively new to baseball-fever, so perhaps this question has been discussed before: instead of the Dodgers returning to Brooklyn, could another franchise, one with financial worries, move to Brooklyn just as the Expos moved to Washington? Say the Tampa Bay Devil Rays? Just asking.-Brownie31

Originally posted by Brownie31
    Please excuse me, but I am relatively new to baseball-fever, so perhaps this question has been discussed before: instead of the Dodgers returning to Brooklyn, could another franchise, one with financial worries, move to Brooklyn just as the Expos moved to Washington? Say the Tampa Bay Devil Rays? Just asking.-Brownie31
    MLB, Fred Wilpon and George Steinbrenner would NEVER allow it.....and not necessarily in that order!

Seriously, there are many reasons why it hasn't happened, and why it probably never will. They are just a few!

c.

Comment

You guys can have the Dodgers back after McCourt runs them into the ground.
      http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
        You guys can have the Dodgers back after McCourt runs them into the ground.
        If by running into the ground you mean retaining MLBs best minor league system, restoring Dodger Stadium, NOT firing the organist (like Anaheim did), keeping ticket prices low for working-class fans like me, drawing 4,000,000 fans and winning the pennant (Which we'll do this year) then you're right.

Comment

Elvis...

Ask Ross Porter how he feels about current Los Angeles National League baseball team ownership..

As far as having baseball's best prospects, all well and good. Doesn't mean a thing unless they blossom into major leaguers.

And lastly I don't understand why fans or broadcasters refer to a team they root for or broadcast as "we". It is so nonsensical. Even your beloved Vince Scully (or Red Barger or Mel Allen or Curt Gowday or Lindsey Nelson or Russ Hodges) never referrered to the teams they cover as we. It's always been a no no in NYC sports broadcasting.

But as far as the original post is concerned, no there will never be another team in Brooklyn....as noted George and Fred will see to that (in the same way there will never be another team on Long Island and/or Northern New Jersey)...which is one of the things that made the solime ball's theft of the franchise in 1957 so bad.

Think of this historical fact...every franchise shift in the 1950's involved making a two team city into a one team city (Boston, St. Louis, Philadelphia and New York)....only Brooklyn lost its team completely.

And in later years, every American city that lost a franchise, had one restored although Washington had to wait for a long time (and of cuorse Montreal is not an American city) but Milwaukee lost the Braves and got the Brewers...Seattle lost the Pilots (to Milwaukee) and got the Mariners...Kansas City lost the Athletics and got the Royals...Washington lost the Senators and got the Nationals. Brooklyn, which major league baseball always considered a separate market than New York never got its team back and unfortunately never will.
          Last edited by MATHA531; 02-27-2006, 05:37 AM.

Comment

What A Shame

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
            MLB, Fred Wilpon and George Steinbrenner would NEVER allow it.....and not necessarily in that order!

Seriously, there are many reasons why it hasn't happened, and why it probably never will. They are just a few!

c.
            DODGER DEB: Alas, you are probably right. This just illustrates the stupidity & rotgut of the baseball establishment. Baseball is a wonderful game but it has nearly always had sorry leadership. Anyway, one can always hope!-Brownie31

Comment

In the late 1970's when the Giants were experiencing financial difficulties, there was serious talk about the state of New Jersey building a baseball only stadium in the Meadowlands next to Giants Stadium. However, King George quickly put the kibash on that idea since the Yankees own the territorial rights to northern New Jersey.

The A's have been experiencing the same problem with the Giants in the bay area. They've been exploring the idea of moving the A's to San Jose for years. However, the Giants have been blocking the move because they own the territorial rights.

Comment

King George!

Originally posted by Greenpeach
                In the late 1970's when the Giants were experiencing financial difficulties, there was serious talk about the state of New Jersey building a baseball only stadium in the Meadowlands next to Giants Stadium. However, King George quickly put the kibash on that idea since the Yankees own the territorial rights to northern New Jersey.

The A's have been experiencing the same problem with the Giants in the bay area. They've been exploring the idea of moving the A's to San Jose for years. However, the Giants have been blocking the move because they own the territorial rights.
                Greenpeach: You are so right about "King George"! The whole concept of territorial rights smacks of 18th & 19th Century colonialism. Baseball's leadership is as stupid & rotten today as in the days of the original Charles Comiskey. Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by MATHA531
                  Elvis...

1. Ask Ross Porter how he feels about current Los Angeles National League baseball team ownership..

2. As far as having baseball's best prospects, all well and good. Doesn't mean a thing unless they blossom into major leaguers.

3. And lastly I don't understand why fans or broadcasters refer to a team they root for or broadcast as "we". It is so nonsensical. Even your beloved Vince Scully (or Red Barger or Mel Allen or Curt Gowday or Lindsey Nelson or Russ Hodges) never referrered to the teams they cover as we. It's always been a no no in NYC sports broadcasting.
                  1. No argument there. I liked Ross - grew up with him. Bad move by the McCourts h

2. No agument there. But, I'd rather have a stacked and well run farm system then not.

3. Many fans have always used we rather than they - It's just a part of the culture for me.

As for broadcasters doing so, I think it's comical and annoying. Broadcasters are supposed to be objective in my opinion, especially in a market like this that has many transplanted local viewers that still root for their old teams. Here in LA we've been "raised" by broadcasters who are very objective - Vin, Chick Hearn, Bob Miller, Dick Enberg, Don Drysdale - These guys never said "we" and it's pretty much expected that LA broadcasters should follow that tradition of professionalism. When my friend and I first heard the guys who do the White Sox games last year on WGN we laughed our heads off - It's very strange to hear that openly biased a sports broadcast, at least here in these parts.
                  Last edited by Elvis; 02-28-2006, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                    If by running into the ground you mean retaining MLBs best minor league system, restoring Dodger Stadium, NOT firing the organist (like Anaheim did), keeping ticket prices low for working-class fans like me, drawing 4,000,000 fans and winning the pennant (Which we'll do this year) then you're right.
                    What does an organist have to do with the team overall?

Take away the pavilion seats, the prices at Chavez Ravine are nothing special and those new seat were overpriced and horrible views. Well, I guess if you want to see the backside of a base coach, those new seats are just fine.

Don't count your chickens before thay hatch! They'll have to play 162 games this season and granted, some of the players picked up in the offseason ought to help; quite frankly, since they play in the poorest division in baseball, a pickup of some 10 or 15 games just may get them into the post season, but I really doubt a WS appearence.

Elvis, sometimes you ought to take off those Dodgerblue colored glasses.

Also be honest, has the club been run as smoothly and as professionally as it was under the O'Malleys? Ask most Dodger fans would concur with me that they have not and last season their whole billboard and marketing plan was in reaction to Arte Moreno's and the Angels reverting back to their original name by using the "This is LA Baseball" and "The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles" lines. Would the O'Malleys or even FOX have been so petty as calling the Angels when they played at the Ravine as "The Angels of Anaheim" as opposed to the "Los Angeles Angels" or "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" and showing their scores as "ANA" instead of "LAA?"

Elvis, my guess is that you are not old enough to remember those days and your blind loyalty is almost comical at times to those of whom that actually remember the Dodger as being clearly one of the best run franchise in all of sports. That day is almost two decades ago and sorry to say (to you that is) that many feel that the club some 30 miles down the Santa Ana Freeway is a much better run organization top to bottom.

Oh yeah, we did not have to steal a franchise away like you guys did! Just ask the people here in this particular forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Elvis9045
                      As for broadcasters doing so, I think it's comical and annoying. Broadcasters are supposed to be objective in my opinion, especially in a market like this that has many transplanted local viewers that still root for their old teams. Here in LA we've been "raised" by broadcasters who are very objective - Vin, Chick Hearn, Bob Miller, Dick Enberg, Don Drysdale - These guys never said "we" and it's pretty much expected that LA broadcasters should follow that tradition of professionalism. When my friend and I first heard the guys who do the White Sox games last year on WGN we laughed our heads off - It's very strange to hear that openly biased a sports broadcast, at least here in these parts.
                      I actually will follow you in line here. I can't believe those Chicago guys expecting their announcer to be homers and saying those guys are the best in the business.

All I can say that Vinnie and Enberg went on to network work and we rarely see Chicago guys do that. Most national guys seem to come out of NY, then LA and St Louis. There must be some reason for that.

BTW, LA guys are that fond of Marv Albert's style since we were brought up of Chick Hearn who actually would chastise the LAkers when they were playing poorly. Maybe it is good that Chick has since passed on to see this abombination of a "Laker" (I use quotes because these guys wearing the purple and gold cannot really be called the Lakers) team play ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesteve32
                        What does an organist have to do with the team overall?

It has to do with my enjoyment of a day at the ballpark.

Take away the pavilion seats, the prices at Chavez Ravine are nothing special

Yeah, like you can get a seat behind home plate every game for $6 in Anaheim or anywhere else.

and those new seat were overpriced and horrible views. Well, I guess if you want to see the backside of a base coach, those new seats are just fine.

I wont sit in those new seats they're installing right now so I can't say.

Don't count your chickens before thay hatch! They'll have to play 162 games this season and granted, some of the players picked up in the offseason ought to help; quite frankly, since they play in the poorest division in baseball, a pickup of some 10 or 15 games just may get them into the post season, but I really doubt a WS appearence.

World Series 2006. It's in the bag.

Elvis, sometimes you ought to take off those Dodgerblue colored glasses.

Naa, I like it just fine. Everythings full of optimism, tranquility and joy with these glasses.

Also be honest, has the club been run as smoothly and as professionally as it was under the O'Malleys? Ask most Dodger fans would concur with me that they have not and last season their whole billboard and marketing plan was in reaction to Arte Moreno's and the Angels reverting back to their original name by using the "This is LA Baseball" and "The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles" lines. Would the O'Malleys or even FOX have been so petty as calling the Angels when they played at the Ravine as "The Angels of Anaheim" as opposed to the "Los Angeles Angels" or "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" and showing their scores as "ANA" instead of "LAA?"

I look to the future, not the past

Elvis, my guess is that you are not old enough to remember those days

That's true, you're much older than me. and probably always will be.

and your blind loyalty is almost comical at times

That's nice

to those of whom that actually remember the Dodger as being clearly one of the best run franchise in all of sports. That day is almost two decades ago and sorry to say (to you that is) that many feel that the club some 30 miles down the Santa Ana Freeway is a much better run organization top to bottom.

What "many feel" is of no intrest to me - only what I feel, and I feel McCourt is running the club just fine these days. I really don't pay any attention to the OC team except when they're playing Los Angeles.

Oh yeah, we did not have to steal a franchise away like you guys did! Just ask the people here in this particular forum.

Not even the people in this forum blame Angelinos for stealing the Dodgers and neither do you, so I'm not sure why you would say "I" stole the team. Did some housewife in Marin County steal the Giants?
                        ------- --------- ----------
                        Last edited by Elvis; 03-01-2006, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I have never even visited the New York area, but it would seem to me that the scenario to get Brooklyn a team would be to lure the Mets there with a new state of the art ballpark. Whether that's realistic with regards to traffic, willingness to build a stadium, etc., I don't know, but I don't think the Mets have ever been excited about Shea Stadium. :atthepc

Comment

[QUOTE=Elvis9045]If by running into the ground you mean retaining MLBs best minor league system, restoring Dodger Stadium, NOT firing the organist (like Anaheim did), keeping ticket prices low for working-class fans like me, drawing 4,000,000 fans and winning the pennant (Which we'll do this year) then you're right. [/QUOTE

One of the greatest posts ever on BF. Go Elvis!
                            "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

While the information you are providing would be useful to fans of that "west coast group", it is not relevant to the topic of THIS thread on this BROOKLYN DODGERS FORUM....A NEW TEAM in BROOKLYN.

I would suggest that WE return to the topic of THIS thread.

c.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X