Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are these two former Dodgers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who are these two former Dodgers?

    There is no sound, and it's a quick video taken from the 1930's.
    Anyone take a guess?
    http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/clip/541015_001.do
    Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

  • #2
    I've see that thin, pointy-nosed Dodger before -- the one it mostly focused on. But I can't place him. Almost looks like Pee Wee Reese, but that destroys the "1930s" caption because Reese debuted in 1940



    As for the other guy, no clue.

    Comment


    • #3
      That is NOT Pee Wee!

      c.

      Comment


      • #4
        While I am not positive, the player on the left side looks like GOODY ROSEN.

        The player on the right side looks very familiar, but I can't lace him.

        c.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
          While I am not positive, the player on the left side looks like GOODY ROSEN.

          The player on the right side looks very familiar, but I can't lace him.

          c.
          Here's "Goody" in 1945:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by AutographCollector; 02-18-2008, 12:17 PM.
          Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

          Comment


          • #6
            Now that I look at the video and this pic... the guy in the short clip has a huge nose, as compared to the pic of Goody he has a small nose. Also the pic shows a slight unibrow... the short video clip doesn't appear to have a uni.

            BUT... I may be wrong.
            Click here to see my autographed 8x10 collection

            Comment


            • #7
              I was wearing that hat today. It's their green hat from 1937. If you can find a 1937 team picture you will be off to a good start.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                Help Brooklyn Dodgers ?

                I saw a TV show once about the great jackie Robinson and I remember hearign that in a team photo one of the Dodgers turn their head in protest of Robinson being on that team. Do anyone know his name and what year that took place?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sd14 View Post
                  I saw a TV show once about the great jackie Robinson and I remember hearign that in a team photo one of the Dodgers turn their head in protest of Robinson being on that team. Do anyone know his name and what year that took place?
                  That was Dixie Walker in, I believe, 1947.

                  c.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here are stills

                    I captured and trimmed pictures from the clip (sorry, Thoughtequity).

                    My guesses to follow.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Our man on the left looks like Heinie Manush:

                      http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/manushheinie.shtml
                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        And for #2, what do you think about his outfield mate in 1937? (Heinie was with Brooklyn just briefly in '38.)

                        That would be Roger Kahn's grandfather's favorite player, Johnny Cooney.

                        Great clue with the caps, Shotgun Shuba!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by VIBaseball; 02-18-2008, 08:05 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by VIBaseball View Post
                          And for #2, what do you think about his outfield mate in 1937? (Heinie was with Brooklyn just briefly in '38.)

                          That would be Roger Kahn's grandfather's favorite player, Johnny Cooney.

                          Great clue with the caps, Shotgun Shuba!

                          Good old Johnny Cooney, a good-hitting pitcher who went on to become a journeyman outfielder, part of the trade that brought Leo the Lip to Brooklyn.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            One of my favorite pieces of trivia is about Cooney. Dude had well over 3300 major league at-bats with just two lifetime homers, but they were hit on consecutive days in 1939!
                            Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Incidentally, Johnny had a great glove. Stengel thought it ranked with DiMag and Terry Moore,

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X