X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• musial6
    replied
    Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
    musial 6 you're right, I should have checked, see how the mind starts to go. anyway that makes the choice to go all the way to stl. for game one after finishing the season a little questionable. though you get two at home, the first one is crucial in a short series. which makes the 51 choice really strange. I think dressens anger with labine maybe cost them the pennant. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
    In '46, I think a major consideration was the Dodgers' poor showing in St. Loo that season (3-8), including dropping all four games in a series in July.

Leave a comment:

• dodger dynamo
    replied
    musial 6 you're right, I should have checked, see how the mind starts to go. anyway that makes the choice to go all the way to stl. for game one after finishing the season a little questionable. though you get two at home, the first one is crucial in a short series. which makes the 51 choice really strange. I think dressens anger with labine maybe cost them the pennant. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    Originally posted by musial6 View Post
    Sure, sure, and the '64 Phillies, and the '78 Bosox, BUT only the '51 Dodgers ever blew a lead THAT large AND THAT late.
    .....and then the DODGERS came back to WIN 4 NL pennants in the next 5 years! (don't start me stamping my feet and holding my breath).

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Are you aware that, prior to the playoff, the Giants were 17-4 ON THE ROAD beyond August 11?
    Sadly, YES, but, please don't remind me, musial6.

c.

Leave a comment:

• musial6
    replied
    Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
    CLEM LABINE pitched an absolutely incredible game on October 2nd, whitewashing those Giants 10-0, that they could have had a whole band of spies with cameras, it would not have changed a thing!
    Are you aware that, prior to the playoff, the Giants were 17-4 ON THE ROAD beyond August 11?

Leave a comment:

• musial6
    replied
    Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
    Uh uh uh...the biggest blow job in major league history is a certain team whose name I will not mention with a 7 game lead with 2 weeks left in the season and didn't even get into a playoff......I wonder just who that team was?
    Sure, sure, and the '64 Phillies, and the '78 Bosox, BUT only the '51 Dodgers ever blew a lead THAT large AND THAT late.

Leave a comment:

• musial6
    replied
    The MORE REASONABLE explanation is that there WAS no spy.

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Where was that spy the day before when the Giants couldn't score even one run?
    CLEM LABINE pitched an absolutely incredible game on October 2nd, whitewashing those Giants 10-0, that they could have had a whole band of spies with cameras, it would not have changed a thing!

c.

Leave a comment:

• MATHA531
    replied
    Slice it as you may, given the date when it started, it's still the biggest blow job in ML history.
    Uh uh uh...the biggest blow job in major league history is a certain team whose name I will not mention with a 7 game lead with 2 weeks left in the season and didn't even get into a playoff......I wonder just who that team was?

Leave a comment:

• musial6
    replied
    Originally posted by aqib View Post
    Well Thomson admitted he knew what pitch was coming so I think we can label that an instance where it affected a specific game. This wasn't the standard guy on second relaying stuff it was a camera in the outfield and a buzzer to the dugout.
    Where was that spy the day before when the Giants couldn't score even one run?

Leave a comment:

• musial6
    replied
    Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
    Let's remember: the Giants won 12 of their final 13 games in '51 (and their last 7 in a row!). Pretty easy to "blow" a lead when the Giants refused to lose.............
    Slice it as you may, given the date when it started, it's still the biggest blow job in ML history.

Leave a comment:

• Brian McKenna
    replied
    Originally posted by aqib View Post
    Well Thomson admitted he knew what pitch was coming so I think we can label that an instance where it affected a specific game.
    Please document.

Leave a comment:

• aqib
    replied
    Originally posted by bkmckenna View Post
    Sign stealing is like steroids - no one gives a specific instance where they have unquestionablly affected a specific contest. It's all talked discussed in round-about terms.
    Well Thomson admitted he knew what pitch was coming so I think we can label that an instance where it affected a specific game. This wasn't the standard guy on second relaying stuff it was a camera in the outfield and a buzzer to the dugout.

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    Agreed. Coin flips didn't decide............... Blowing a 13 game lead on August 11, 1951, did.
    Let's remember: the Giants won 12 of their final 13 games in '51 (and their last 7 in a row!). Pretty easy to "blow" a lead when the Giants refused to lose.............

Leave a comment:

• Number 4
    replied
    Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    I think Dressen should have had Branca not throw strikes to Thomson, getting him to either chase or walk. Then they could have pitched to Willie Mays, who had faded down the stretch. Whether Branca should have even been in there, or if Newcombe should have even started the ninth are also debatable.
    I think Branca describes the pitch that Thomson hit as a fastball up and in, out of the strike zone. Branca's intention was to use this pitch as a setup for the next pitch, a breaking ball down and away.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X