Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Furillo's Broken Nose

>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Last edited by whoisonit; 05-08-2008, 03:12 AM.

I don't recall the busted beak, but I do recall Monte Irvin's stepping on Carl's hand, breaking a knuckle in the process--Labor Day weekend, '53.

Comment

I recalled that Roger Kahn mentioned this in The Boys of Summer. He called it "a Roman nose that had been broken many times."

However, the incident you may well be thinking of came in July 1948. AP sportswriter Joe Reichler reported on July 21 that "the joy of Brooklyn's victory was dampened somewhat by an injury to Centerfielder Carl Furillo in batting practice. Furillo's nose was broken when he was hit by a line drive from the bat of Coach Ray Blades."

Thanks to Google News for narrowing down the time and www.probaseballarchive (amazing source) for the exact info.

Comment

Originally posted by whoisonit View Post
        I'm looking for a piece of information on Carl Furillo and I hope one of you can help me out.

Some time between 1947 and 1952 Carl Furillo broke his nose. He was treated at the long gone St. Catherine's Hospital in Brooklyn. I don't know if it was during the season, or in the off season. (Did he live in Brooklyn ?)

If anybody know's anything about this injury, ( or even remembers St. Catherine's !) please let me know, however slight your info is.

Thanks a million.
        Are you talking about the St. Catherine's Hospital on Bushwick Avenue between Maujer and Stagg Streets? I don't remember Skoonj ever living in that part of Brooklyn, but he might have in the late 40's. As for him having a broken nose.....I can't say that I remember that.

I do remember his broken hand in September 1953, when he was leading the NL in batting. Depsite not playing, he did, infact win the NL Batting title with a .344 average.

c.

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          Last edited by whoisonit; 05-08-2008, 03:11 AM.

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>>
            Last edited by whoisonit; 05-08-2008, 03:11 AM.

Comment

A 4.5 mile drive, according to Mapquest. Surely there must have been closer good hospitals, unless Carl lived in Southside.
              Attached Files

Comment

Yes, thats the one. Did you live near Maujer ?

I recalled instantly when I read the other post, that a bat was involved. So this July '48 injury was treated at St. Catherines. How far from Ebbets Field was it ?
                I lived not to far from St. Catherine's.

OUR Dodgers always used Long Island College Hospital in Downtown Brooklyn for any player injuries, which was much closer to OUR Ebbets Field. Truthfully, this is the first time I've ever heard of them using St. Catherine's.

c.

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>
                  Last edited by whoisonit; 05-08-2008, 03:10 AM.

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>
                    Last edited by whoisonit; 05-08-2008, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Hi Dodger Deb, I've been waiting for you to show up before I did a brief follow up on what you said here.

I did a bit more research and some interviewing of figures from the old St Catherines.

St Catherines was considered more of a "boutique" hospital. It was smaller, more intimate and often served those who had an interest, for various reasons, of more personalised care. Furillo and his nose were not the only notables to seek out St Catherines for this reason.

Since the nose was broken at such a crucial point in the season, it's then logical why it was treated & monitered from St Catherines.

Thought you may find this of interest.

btw - if you lived close to St Catherine's, were you also in the vicinity of St. Nicholas Church on Olive & Devoe ?

That info is interesting, whoisinit.

Let me add......there was an annex of St. Catherine's (a smaller more private hospital), used mostly for maternity, and for other more specialized cases I am told, that was located on the corner of Richardson and Humboldt Streets. They were considered one hospital. It may have been at this annex where Carl was treated.

And, yes, I certainly know of St. Nicholas RC Church. It was our family parish.

c.

Comment

Wow, Humboldt Street! My Aunt Sophie lived on Humboldt Street. I distinctly remember watching the 4th game of the 1956 World Series on her brand-new TV set on Sunday, October 7th. The Yanks spanked Oisk that day and won, 6-2. I was ten years old and ate liverwurst on saltine crackers. Funny how I cannot remember last Monday, but I vividly remember Sunday, October 7, 1956 on Humboldt Street!
                        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                        http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

>>>>>>>>>>>
                          Last edited by whoisonit; 05-08-2008, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X