Gil Hodges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gil Hodges

Like everyone else, I too strongly favor Gil Hodges being elected to the Hall of Fame in 2007. However, the fact that Hodges with all of his accomplishments has not already been a member of the HOF for many years is yet another indictment of the low & shabby schweinhund that make up the MLB establishment. The man was the star firstbaseman on 7 pennant winners & 2 World Champions in addition to having managed a World Series winner with a team that had previously existed strictly as the punchline of jokes on TV shows. He is also widely remembered as a decent & honorable person. The same crowd that snubs Hodges keeps a major league team out of a wonderful market like Brooklyn. Brownie31

We just had this debate.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=38547

He's borderline at best.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Gil Hodges

Originally posted by runningshoes53
      We just had this debate.

He's borderline at best.
      If Gil Hodges is borderline, what is Bruce Sutter? The debate will continue until Hodges gets in! Brownie31

Comment

He may well get. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it if he does.

I agree Sutter was borderline. I've never agreed with the voting process and Hodges may well ride it's inherint flaws into Cooperstown.
        "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
        Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Gil Hodges

He may well get. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it if he does.

I agree Sutter was borderline. I've never agreed with the voting process and Hodges may well ride it's inherint flaws into Cooperstown.
          What don't you like about the voting process.
          Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

We just had this debate.

He's borderline at best.
            And that's why I've come to believe that the highest honor a ballplayer can receive is to be enshrined in the hearts and minds of his fans. If it pleases the H.O.F to believe it is the final arbiter of greatness, so be it. The heart considers a wider scope of information. Its judgement isn't restricted by statistical measurement nor is it's judgement skewed by consensus of opinion. Election into the The Hall of Fame is a great honor but not the greatest. The memory of Gil Hodges resides in a far holier shrine.

Comment

Originally posted by kramer_47
              What don't you like about the voting process.
              For starters, the writers should have to justify who they pick, and for that matter, they should also have to justify who they don't pick.

Too complicated, too time consuming?.......too bad.

I read Bob Elliot's article in the Toronto Sun this past election: He doesn't have a clue..and he gets a vote..can he be the only one?
              Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Gil Hodges

For starters, the writers should have to justify who they pick, and for that matter, they should also have to justify who they don't pick.

Too complicated, too time consuming?.......too bad.

I read Bob Elliot's article in the Toronto Sun this past election: He doesn't have a clue..and he gets a vote..can he be the only one?
                See alot of these guys don't have a clue, maybe they let their prejudices towards certain players and cities get in the way of good judgement. Then you got the veterans committee most have big egos and feel they're in the exclusive club and want no one else in their club. What other method should be used to elect the worthy to the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by kramer_47
                  See alot of these guys don't have a clue, maybe they let their prejudices towards certain players and cities get in the way of good judgement. Then you got the veterans committee most have big egos and feel they're in the exclusive club and want no one else in their club. What other method should be used to elect the worthy to the HOF.
                  There's no perfect way to do it, but If I have to choose between the lesser of the two evils, I'll go with former players and managers making the call.

I don't necessarily think Hall members should comprise the committee 100%. They're could be a split with maybe 20 to 25% of the committee coming from the ranks of the many to keep the few honest.
                  Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Gil Hodges

There's no perfect way to do it, but If I have to choose between the lesser of the two evils, I'll go with former players and managers making the call.

I don't necessarily think Hall members should comprise the committee 100%. They're could be a split with maybe 20 to 25% of the committee coming from the ranks of the many to keep the few honest.
                    Some of these HOFers are so arrogant I think they will have to change it. I think your suggestion of former players mixed with some writers,annoucers
                    and some HOFers is good for the initial ballot. Then have a different group of similar people for the veterans committee.

Comment

Here is GIL'S Bowman 1949 Card....

From an eBay listing.

c.

Comment

Borderline? Huh?

We just had this debate.

He's borderline at best.
                        You mean "borderline at best" like this HoF inductee?
                        http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ho...oerr_Bobby.htm

Doerr: 14 seasons/.288 BA/223 HR/1247 RBI - 10 All-Star appearances
                        Hodges: 18 seasons/.273 BA/370 HR/1274 RBI - 8 All-Star appearances, 3-time Gold Glover, '69 MLB Manager of the Year

According to their teammates, both were great guys, great family men, and true "ballplayers". I would say that their stats are comparable. Hodges certainly had more post season success, but that may be due to Boston having to compete with the Yankees.

If Gil Hodges makes the HoF next year through election by the Vets Committee, it will not be due to the "inherent flaws" of the voting process, but simply because the Committee members finally came to their senses and gave recognition to a player that has earned it many times over.
                        "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

We just had this debate.

He's borderline at best.

Hodges: 18 seasons/.273 BA/370 HR/1274 RBI - 8 All-Star appearances, 3-time Gold Glover, '69 MLB Manager of the Year

According to their teammates, both were great guys, great family men, and true "ballplayers". I would say that their stats are comparable. Hodges certainly had more post season success, but that may be due to Boston having to compete with the Yankees.

If Gil Hodges makes the HoF next year through election by the Vets Committee, it will not be due to the "inherent flaws" of the voting process, but simply because the Committee members finally came to their senses and gave recognition to a player that has earned it many times over.
                          "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

Comment

Originally posted by bhss89

Sorry, but you're assuming I wear my heart on my sleeve like a lot of baseball fans, but you would be wrong. I don't care if he played for the Red Sox; if he didn't earn it, he doesn't belong.

Two wrongs don't make a right and if being a great a guy and a great family man wrote tickets to the hall of fame, construction permits would be inundating the desks of city planners in Cooperstown.
                            Last edited by runningshoes; 03-03-2006, 05:52 PM.
                            Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Sorry, but you're assuming I wear my heart on my sleeve like a lot of baseball fans, but you would be wrong. I don't care if he played for the Red Sox; if he didn't earn it, he doesn't belong.

Two wrongs don't make a right and if being a great a guy and a great family man wrote tickets to the hall of fame, construction permits would be inundating the desks of city planners in Cooperstown.
                              Thanks for making my point for me: Players like Doerr (BoSox or not) don't belong in the HoF if players like Hodges are not inducted. I chose Doerr because I assumed your avatar makes you a BoSox fan. What type of BoSox fan, I've no idea. I don't blindly think that every decent Dodger from the past should be inducted simply because I bleed Dodger Blue; but Gil Hodges, for what he did on the field and as a manager, belongs in the HoF. I included the comments about the two players' personalities only because of what I read about Doerr and because I recently met some of Hodges' relatives and heard first-hand accounts of the way he interacted with family, friends, and fans. I don't remember saying the Gil Hodges belongs in the HoF because he was a nice guy. His statistics and performance with the '69 Amazin' Mets warrant his induction alone. The fact that he wasn't an ass like so many other HoFers (and some who think they should be in) is simply icing on the cake.
                              If Doerr being in the HoF is a "wrong", then inducting Hodges in '07 wouldn't be committing another "wrong", but rather "righting a wrong committed in the past".
                              And of course, you know as a passionate fan and student of the game, the list of non-deserving players that are in the HoF goes on and on . . .

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X