• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robb Schwartz
    replied
    Bob G

Thanks Kramer,

I"d appreciate that. I don't know why I'm so fascinated with such trivia, but I just can't seem to get enough of it. I'll toss out some more names and let's see what happens.

Robb

Leave a comment:

• kramer_47
    replied
    Whatever happened to?

Originally posted by Robb Schwartz
    Thanks Kramer,

The issue of fear was a constant for them. If you read Lefty (Sandy's bio) it was evident that these guys pitched through anything... The legacy is long...Erskine, Spooner, Giallombardo...and on and on.

Thanks for the post!

Robb
    Your welcome Robb.
    I'm going to try and get in touch with my friend Patty and see where Bob is now.

Leave a comment:

• Robb Schwartz
    replied
    Bobby Gi

Thanks Kramer,

The issue of fear was a constant for them. If you read Lefty (Sandy's bio) it was evident that these guys pitched through anything... The legacy is long...Erskine, Spooner, Giallombardo...and on and on.

Thanks for the post!

Robb

Leave a comment:

• kramer_47
    replied
    Whatever happened to?

Hi all,

Although these players eventually made it to LA...they were Brooklyn born and bred. Time permitting...I'd like to find out whatever happened to Bob Giallombardo? Seems he was a highly thought of prospect signed in '56. Pitched 5 games for the Dodgers in '58. Heard he hurt his arm but don't know what happened afterwards. Where is he now?
    About 15 years ago I was involved with a girls fastpitch softball league. One of the other directors was Bob's cousin, in fact I gave him his baseball card, he told me that Bob still lived in Brooklyn. I asked him what had happened to Bob after that short stay with the Dodgers, he said he played a few more years but didn't know why he retired from baseball. You know alot of guys hurt there arms back then and tried to hide it because if they told the team they'd be released, there wasn't the surgery that we have today.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaCajun
    replied
    Hi all,

Although these players eventually made it to LA...they were Brooklyn born and bred. Time permitting...I'd like to find out whatever happened to Bob Giallombardo? Seems he was a highly thought of prospect signed in '56. Pitched 5 games for the Dodgers in '58. Heard he hurt his arm but don't know what happened afterwards. Where is he now?
    Last reference I can find of him is the July 13, 1960 edition of The Sporting News. He's playing for Spokane (Dodgers' AAA team), and the article is titled "Spokane Batterymates Wage 'Battle of Expensive Stogies'." Here's the link: http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...i.stm#articles

Probably not very substantive.

Leave a comment:

• Robb Schwartz
    started a topic Whatever happened to?

Whatever happened to?

Hi all,

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X