Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brooklyn Dodger Caps

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stengel managed the Brooklyns 1934-1936. That's the era that photo is from......
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

    Comment


    • I guess the guy's all got new caps every year with the "new logo" I also would guess if you had a particular hat you felt was lucky from a prevoius season you might wear it. So that can add to the confusion. assuming o'malley didn't want you to turn it in at the end of the season as he once did (from what I've read elsewhere and not on the site) with the 53 nl championship ring. In order to off set the cost of the word championship ring won in 55. Sure sounds like him. Battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

      Comment


      • Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
        Stengel managed the Brooklyns 1934-1936. That's the era that photo is from......
        Thanks. Please tell me that wasn't the standard issue undershirt, or was that just Casey being Casey? :noidea

        Comment


        • Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
          Stengel managed the Brooklyns 1934-1936. That's the era that photo is from......
          So it looks like we have found a photo of a Bklyn Dodger cap with a blue button as opposed to the ubiquitous white button. I guess they wore caps with blue buttons on top up to 1939, which is the date on the back of my cap, which has a blue button.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by EasilyFound View Post
            So it looks like we have found a photo of a Bklyn Dodger cap with a blue button as opposed to the ubiquitous white button. I guess they wore caps with blue buttons on top up to 1939, which is the date on the back of my cap, which has a blue button.
            I own that cap too. I taped off the top and sprayed the button white!!!! LOL. Looks MUCH better..............
            you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
            http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

            Comment


            • I never said the Mets' NY was ugly, only that the previous one is much more elegant and pleasing to my eye.

              It has more historical import to boot - the one the Mets adopted (and, as you note, adapted several times early in their history) had a relatively brief spell on their caps. Just like the Dodgers, to keep this on topic - the official "B" logo enshrined by Major League baseball was barely a blip in the course of Brooklyn Dodger history, overlooking a much more elegant and beautiful logo with decades of history behind it.
              Last edited by six4three; 08-19-2008, 07:33 AM.

              Comment


              • Here's another beautiful 1930s-1940s cap I found at auction (same place as that Babe Ruth cap above).
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • Originally posted by six4three View Post
                  I never said the Mets' NY was ugly, only that the previous one is much more elegant and pleasing to my eye.

                  It has more historical import to boot - the one the Mets adopted (and, as you note, adapted several times early in their history) had a relatively brief spell on their caps. Just like the Dodgers, to keep this on topic - the official "B" logo enshrined by Major League baseball was barely a blip in the course of Brooklyn Dodger history, overlooking a much more elegant and beautiful logo with decades of history behind it.
                  Has anyone else noticed that some of the current Red Sox caps (I say some becuase every team seems to need 15 caps these days) look a lot like the old Brooklyn caps. I saw someone a couple of weeks ago and I thought he was wearing a Dodger cap, from 10 feet away the B was very close and it was a similar shade of blue.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by aqib View Post
                    Has anyone else noticed that some of the current Red Sox caps (I say some becuase every team seems to need 15 caps these days) look a lot like the old Brooklyn caps. I saw someone a couple of weeks ago and I thought he was wearing a Dodger cap, from 10 feet away the B was very close and it was a similar shade of blue.
                    I agree. Not only do MLB teams nowadays have MANY different caps (home, away, batting practice, etc.), but most companies make caps to their own specs, therefore "ruining" the style(s). Although these caps are all "licensed" by MLB, they are NOT all "correct" in style/color. MLB doesn't care, as long as they get their "cut" ($$). Don't ever be fooled by the tag which states "officially licensed by MLB" on caps or jerseys..........this means very little.
                    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                      I agree. Not only do MLB teams nowadays have MANY different caps (home, away, batting practice, etc.), but most companies make caps to their own specs, therefore "ruining" the style(s). Although these caps are all "licensed" by MLB, they are NOT all "correct" in style/color. MLB doesn't care, as long as they get their "cut" ($$). Don't ever be fooled by the tag which states "officially licensed by MLB" on caps or jerseys..........this means very little.
                      As a Jays fan I was ticked off when they changed their caps and (whole uniforms) 3 years after winning the World Series (the jerseys grew on me but I hated the caps) then they had an alternative cap that was tolerable, but a couple of years ago they junked everything, but still bring back the classic stuff for Friday night home games so that they can have throw backs.

                      I get that we need to have 18 different uniform combos to boost marketing revenues but the Boston hat bothered me. The Sox have their own tradition don't try and steal from another one.

                      Comment


                      • Like you all, I am a student of Brooklyn caps. I am convinced that the flanges on the left side of the "B" were "straightened out" a bit by 1955. (Earlier, they were bent over more.) There are no really good reproductions (of the '55 caps) that I have ever found. I do have an excellent 1938 reproduction (by Roman Caps--no longer made). A good '55 pic is found at: http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...31.html#photos

                        Personally, I would like Twins Enterprises to make a '55 "Franchise" cap--with the accurate "B," and with "1955" on the back.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by BornthedaythebumswontheWS View Post
                          Like you all, I am a student of Brooklyn caps. I am convinced that the flanges on the left side of the "B" were "straightened out" a bit by 1955. (Earlier, they were bent over more.) There are no really good reproductions (of the '55 caps) that I have ever found. I do have an excellent 1938 reproduction (by Roman Caps--no longer made). A good '55 pic is found at: http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...31.html#photos

                          Personally, I would like Twins Enterprises to make a '55 "Franchise" cap--with the accurate "B," and with "1955" on the back.
                          In my humble opinion, this cap would be a poor choice to replicate exactly. The Brooklyn Dodgers only played 2 years (1955 and 1956) with no opening (diamond cut-out) in the left hand portion of the "B"..........Many years they wore the caps with the cut out.
                          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                          http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

                          Comment


                          • Good point. I didn't realize that about the two year hiatus (with no "diamond cut-out). Still, with '55 being such a great year--wouldn't it be neat to commemorate it?

                            Comment


                            • I like the Cooperstown Ballcap Co. product. The logos aren't exactly perfect - but weirdly, nobody really does that "B" just right. What makes the Cooperstown Ballcap hats nice is they match the original period product much more closely in construction and materials than anything else out there now. They sit on the head like the older hats did. All in all, the Cooperstown Ballcap product is acceptable. Nothing like the annoying Red Sox caps some companies put out in Royal Blue and White, which are then marketed as Brooklyn Dodger caps.

                              The Cooperstown Ballcap "B" is sort of like a composite between the 1940s and late 50s logo. Only the most hard-core fanatic would know the difference... But, then again, this thread has gotten over 6,000 hits, so maybe demand is stronger than one would think.

                              The Brooklyn Dodgers 1923 Ol'Boy Cooperstown Collection Hat from American Needle is nice. It's got 8 panel construction and is cut to the standard of that period. The "B" is pretty good, too. It isn't melton wool, but it really is a nice cap.

                              There are people that do custom hats... If somebody wanted a perfect one made, it could be done... But would someone pay $100 or more for a perfect Brooklyn Dodgers cap?

                              Would you?


                              "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X