Brooklyn Dodger Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
    Not authentic, there is no white button.
    Ralph:

I missed that at first glance. Good call!

Spirit of '55:cap:

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
      I think that I have seen a photo of Babe Ruth as a Dodgers' coach, wearing a cap like that.
      I think I've seen the same picture, but it's a different had that Ruth is wearing. His has Bule piping on it. I have a replica of that hat, but don't like it because the white material gives the hat a poor fit. I have the 1950s blue Brooklyn hat and that one fits fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian McKenna View Post
        Friends:

What a fascinating database. It looks like there were far more nominal variations in OUR DODGERS' uniforms in the late 40s and 50s than we notice in the photos.

Still unanswered: Why GREEN in 1937? Whose idea was that? If it had been '57, I'd understand---the Color of Money, that is, Wallet O'Money.

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post
          Ralph:

I missed that at first glance. Good call!

I actually spray-painted my button white (Krylon flat white) on mine after taping off the rest of the cap! I own MANY Brooklyn Dodger caps....(most the 1937-1957 blue variation)..........all the various companies and their various styles (all claiming authenticity). I have a room full of them (along with Brooklyn jerseys, jackets, etc.). The best I ever saw were the Roman Pro and the McCauliffe.............. these are no longer in production, sadly.
          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
          http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
            Not authentic, there is no white button.
            Thank god, i was going to buy it, glad I didn't now. I am going to get an authentic one.
            MySpace Codes

Comment

Friends:

This is the White "franchise" cap. I like the look, but it's missing the blue button on top. Any way to match that shade? Maybe I'll spray paint mine, too.

Gawd, that sounded awful!
              Attached Files

Comment

Friends:

This is the White "franchise" cap. I like the look, but it's missing the blue button on top. Any way to match that shade? Maybe I'll spray paint mine, too.

Gawd, that sounded awful!
                LOL.......go for it!!!
                you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

Hello again,

I THINK I've figured out that there were two different hat styles, one with the B that most of the caps have now, and the B like in the Koufax hat. Examples:

"Koufax" B (Don't shoot me for calling it a Koufax B, it's just a frame of reference!):

The "modern" B (again, it's a misnomer but it's a frame of reference):

So, I wonder: Which was worn when? Does anyone here remember the switch? Why am I ranting on and on about this?

Oh, and why does it seem that their hats are darker than the hats sold today?

Comment

/

Oh, and why does it seem that their hats are darker than the hats sold today?[/QUOTE]

.......because they WERE darker than the ones sold today!! The "replica" B caps use the LA blue (much lighter). My family has home movies of the Dodgers at Ebbets field. The caps were a darker blue in Brooklyn than the "Lasorda blue" of Chavez Ravine.

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                      /

Oh, and why does it seem that their hats are darker than the hats sold today?
                      .......because they WERE darker than the ones sold today!! The "replica" B caps use the LA blue (much lighter). My family has home movies of the Dodgers at Ebbets field. The caps were a darker blue in Brooklyn than the "Lasorda blue" of Chavez Ravine.[/QUOTE]

dark Dodger blue........
                      Attached Files

Comment

That's not Koufax in that picture with Reese, Robinson, and Stanky; it is Spider Jorgenson. The picture is 1947 vintage, long before Koufax made his appearance in that hat or any other one, although he may have worn one that year while playing on the neighborhood vacant lot.

Comment

Originally posted by strummer View Post
                          That's not Koufax in that picture with Reese, Robinson, and Stanky; it is Spider Jorgenson. The picture is 1947 vintage, long before Koufax made his appearance in that hat or any other one, although he may have worn one that year while playing on the neighborhood vacant lot.
                          Well yeah, I know that. I was just saying "Koufax" because the best picture of that style of B I could find was a cap signed by Koufax.

And pete, if you could get those old home movies digitized and placed on youtube or somewhere a little more private, that would be awesome for us youngin's who only got to read about Ebbets Field!

But back to the topic at hand, what's the best matched color for TRUE Blue instead of the Dodgerganger Blue? We should make reproduction Dodger caps (good ones) and sell enough of them to buy back the franchise.

I can dream, can't I?

Comment

A Darker Blue

Friends:

Today in the mail I received an "authentic" reproduction pennant celebrating the Miracle on Flatbush Avenue. It was a MUCH darker blue than any of my Brooklyn caps, really a step above indigo. From what I've seen, this indigo is the proper shade for Brooklyn Dodger Blue.

(I also received a T-shirt reading "Brooklyn 55" in logoscript and red numbering. It will become my favorite shirt after it's broken in.)

Any thoughts on Brooklyn Dodger Indigo?

Comment

Friends:

Today in the mail I received an "authentic" reproduction pennant celebrating the Miracle on Flatbush Avenue. It was a MUCH darker blue than any of my Brooklyn caps, really a step above indigo. From what I've seen, this indigo is the proper shade for Brooklyn Dodger Blue.

(I also received a T-shirt reading "Brooklyn 55" in logoscript and red numbering. It will become my favorite shirt after it's broken in.)

Any thoughts on Brooklyn Dodger Indigo?

Hello: Hope you're getting your proper rest. Next, I would put in my 2 cents on "Dodger Blue". My older brother has the home movies of the Brooklyn Dodgers and I don't think I can get copies to post here.........HOWEVER.......I will state (again)......."Lasorda blue" from the west coast is NOT our original blue! Our original blue is very much darker than the west coast "variety". Don't allow time and the many money-hungry companies cloud your eyes........"Brooklyn Blue" is (was) darker than what we are offered by the various companies of today! Pictures ain't gonna really prove it, as pictures appear differently on everyone's PC. Dodger Blue was DARKER (and more beautiful) than what's offered today as "throwback" caps, etc. I've been actively searching for over 40 years for the "perfect" Brooklyn cap..............I'm CLOSE (many times).....but no cigar......either the color is correct and then the "B" isn't, and visa-versa. I'm gonna keep searchin'....................

Comment

:cap:A good way to confirm authenticity would be to campare an "authentic" reproduction to the actual thing and, as penncentralpete has stated, "Pictures ain't gonna really prove it, as pictures appear differently on everyone's PC. Dodger Blue was DARKER (and more beautiful) than what's offered today as "throwback" caps".:cap:

:cap:However, there is at least one authentic cap that I know of on display at the BROOKLYN BASEBALL GALLERY/BROOKLYN DODGERS BASEBALL HALL OF FAME in KeySpan Park, Coney Island. In the photo is Joe Hatten's son Don along with Bil Phifer during a visit to KeySpan Park last summer. And in the background is the AUTHENTIC cap in the display.:cap:

:cap:This is not to make any comparisons between the "authentic" reproduction caps on Don and Bil and the AUTHENTIC cap in the display (even though the one on display does look darker), but to suggest to anyone who may have access to the KeySpan Park display to make their comparison up close and personal.:cap:
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X