No announcement yet.

Brooklyn Dodger Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that settles it. I guess it's up to us to make the only authentic Brooklyn Dodger cap!

Who's got some start-up capital?

Comment

Brooklyn Dodger BLUE

Which is authentic? Has time blurred our ability to select the TRUE Brooklyn Dodger BLUE?????
      Attached Files
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Friends:

My vote is for the bottom picture, but lighting and photo quality can throw you. However, the material seems heavier with a coarser hand, and that's generally a sign of better quality.

Am I right, pray tell?
        Spirit of '55:cap:

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post
          Friends:

My vote is for the bottom picture, but lighting and photo quality can throw you. However, the material seems heavier with a coarser hand, and that's generally a sign of better quality.

Am I right, pray tell?
          I don't know if you're "right", but the bottom picture is of a wool cap with a leather headband...............and cost $48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It appears to be a dark, indigo blue in person (on my big head). p.s. I got it half-price ($24) because it was returned to the Cooperstown Cap Co.
          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
            I don't know if you're "right", but the bottom picture is of a wool cap with a leather headband...............and cost $48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It appears to be a dark, indigo blue in person (on my big head). p.s. I got it half-price ($24) because it was returned to the Cooperstown Cap Co.
            Yikes, 48 smackers!

It seems to me like they got the color right. However, I don't think they got the B right. Again, I refer to the Bobby Morgan picture (large picture, click on the link):

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/bobbymorgan.jpg

I would wager that this is the best replica of the B (as far as the font goes) that the aforementioned cap is shooting for:

Soo, all we need to do is get the color of the first and the B of the second and voila! I can finally stop feeling guilty for shelling out 30 bucks for the sham hat I bought!

Comment

years ago I got a picture of the duke kneeling in ebbets field, the dodger blue, is darker blue, in the 80's I agonized that the repros were lighter, now on the 54 and 55 base ball cards, the blue is lighter, still not as light as the "other" team now uses. so it's possible that the dodgers used darker colors in the late 40's as I remember my cap was and lighter in mid 50's when I got a new one. I think the 3 distinct B's I recall are in this order, the one similar to the koufax autographed hat, it looks very much like the one durocher wore in whistling in brooklyn. These were darker. by the early 50's the B had changed but the hat was still a dark color. Then in 56 and 57 you see yet a different B with a slighty lighter shading than the 54-55 hats. usually on repros, If the B is correct on the hats it's a 56/57 cap. There is a white cap from the 30's with a blue B it has one blue stripe about an inch and a half on either side of the B from bottom to button this blue B has the rounded circles and looks like B number one only in blue. I'm sure there are a lot of other variations but these three seem the most familiar and authentic to me. now it could be just an old guy's eyes playing tricks on him also after being in the sun there's no doubt they fade some. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
              Last edited by dodger dynamo; 04-12-2008, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                Not authentic, there is no white button.
                Also, the B looks too thick, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                  years ago I got a picture of the duke kneeling in ebbets field, the dodger blue, is darker blue, in the 80's I agonized that the repros were lighter, now on the 54 and 55 base ball cards, the blue is lighter, still not as light as the "other" team now uses. so it's possible that the dodgers used darker colors in the late 40's as I remember my cap was and lighter in mid 50's when I got a new one. I think the 3 distinct B's I recall are in this order, the one similar to the koufax autographed hat, it looks very much like the one durocher wore in whistling in brooklyn. These were darker. by the early 50's the B had changed but the hat was still a dark color. Then in 56 and 57 you see yet a different B with a slighty lighter shading than the 54-55 hats. usually on repros, If the B is correct on the hats it's a 56/57 cap. There is a white cap from the 30's with a blue B it has one blue stripe about an inch and a half on either side of the B from bottom to button this blue B has the rounded circles and looks like B number one only in blue. I'm sure there are a lot of other variations but these three seem the most familiar and authentic to me. now it could be just an old guy's eyes playing tricks on him also after being in the sun there's no doubt they fade some. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo
                  I don't recall their ever wearing a darker blue, but I don't remember the 40s. They didn't wear it in the 50s, however.

Comment

Great question, and one that I have asked here twice but never really got a definitive answer. Here are links to my original posts regarding which of today's replicas are closest to the real deal.

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=64472

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=48422

All I can tell you is that none of todays current replica offerings match any of the "B" styles that I have seen in the many, many historical photos of players in their caps. I purchased 3 caps from that Bbllcap.com and each one does not match any period photo of a Dodgers cap exactly. They are extremely well made - you pay a premium for that - but alas, they do not look like the "B" on the caps on player photos.

I have come to two conclusions, one, that if you want a current replica that matches identically to the various types of "B" styles worn on the original caps (and there were a few styles over their Brooklyn history) the best you could do is come close with some of the replicas offered today. You really need to have a good eye and be selective.

My 1957 replica from ballcaps.com is perhaps the closest thing to the real deal although, in my opinion, the "B" is way too big as compared to the period photos.

On an interesting note, and I have been unable to substantiate this, I ordered the 1955 (Championship Year) cap and when it arrived I was horrified! Of course, there are no photos of ballcap.com's Dodgers caps, only drawings, so prior to placing my order, I asked for a photo. I received a photo of a cap with a "B" that looke dpretty good. When the cap arrived, the "B" had NO diamond cutout that should be present on the spine of the logo at the midpoint where the upper and lower loops of the "B" meet!!! I was beside myself to say the least. When I called ballcap.com I was told that the 1955 Dodgers "B" cap logo had no such cutout. I was sent a picture of Johnny Podres in a cap that resembled mine but from the angle you could not make out whether or not there was a diamond cutout on Podres' cap. I was also told that the same cap was made and brought to LA when Podres was siging at a baseball convention. When Podres was presented the cap for autograph, he exclaimed, "How did you get my cap?" "It's exactly like the one I wore." - and this with NO DIAMOND CUTOUT!!!

Now, I ask, does anyone remember a 1955 original cap, let alone any rendition of the post 1939 Dodgers "B" cap logo that did not include the diamond cutout? I cannot find photographic evidence to suggest it. So I have this cap that is made with perfection, but in my opinion is historically incorrect.

And two, I believe that there is a copyright infringement policy on that original style 1940-1957 style(s) "B" placed perhaps by the Dodgers organization - I'm probably wrong but... why else would it be so impossible to find an exact match? I do not see this difficulty with other team caps from either today or yesteryear.

Now about the color of the blue cap itself, that's another matter for discussion...

I do wish that someone would jump in here and talk about this.

Lou, NY
                    Last edited by skaukatt; 04-24-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Hello Lou and all: I thought I was the only fanatic, raving about the faux throwback caps of the Brooklyn Dodgers!!! I'm glad I have company! I will attempt to round up some photos of the oldtime Brooklyn caps......and YES, there was a season that the Diamond cutout in the "B" did NOT exist! All of today's caps are way off in color and also the size and thickness of the "B"............terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                        Hello Lou and all: I thought I was the only fanatic, raving about the faux throwback caps of the Brooklyn Dodgers!!! I'm glad I have company! I will attempt to round up some photos of the oldtime Brooklyn caps......and YES, there was a season that the Diamond cutout in the "B" did NOT exist! All of today's caps are way off in color and also the size and thickness of the "B"............terrible.
                        That is what I have said before too. I don't like that at all. Eventhough that cap comes closest to the original it is still not. No cap at that time had that kind of lettering on it. That is something they "invented" in 1995-1996.

I still have a Brooklyn Dodgers cap made by the Roman Cap Co. I bought it in 1990/1991 and it is quite worn off now. I want to buy a new one, but so far I can not find something that comes close to that quality. Furthermore, even American Needle put those thick B's on their caps.
                        Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 04-24-2008, 11:24 AM.

Comment

interesting Brooklyn caps

here are some Brooklyn caps WITHOUT the triangular cut-out in the "B":
                          Attached Files

Comment

more pix of Brooklyn caps without the "cutout":
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I have found my photos of the ballcap.com caps. The first photo is their 1955 replica that does not have the diamond cutout.

The second is the photo they sent me depicting a 1955 cap (a totally different logo that turned out to be ballcap.com's 1948 cap)

The third is the photo of Johnny Podres from 1955 that seems to depict no diamond cutout and the cap from ballcap.com. that was made for him to autograph.

The last photo is allegedly a real cap belonging to Pee Wee that looks like the cap he is wearing in the photo of him Jackie and Duke posted earlier in this thread.

I will post a photo of my ballcap.com 1957 version later as I cannot find it at the moment.

Let me know what you all think...

Lou, NY
                              Attached Files

Comment

no triangular cutout in the "B":
                                Attached Files

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X