Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no triangular cutout in the "B":
    Attached Files
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Wow! I am so surprised that there was no cutout on those cap logos! Those photos seem to prove it. If that is the case then the 1955 ballcap.com cap logo comes pretty darn close, although the color of my cap is a darker blue than any replicas of today and is darker than ballcap's 1957 or 1948 versions. I am not sure how that stacks up to originals.

Keep this thread going, I've een waiting to discuss this for years here!!!

Lou, NY

Comment

Hey Lou: You and I BOTH. This is important (to me). Some fans would say: "who cares?", but I really do. I sort of like that photo of the '48 cap myself. I just ordered one from ballcap.com. They said they would give me a break on the price ($36 instead of $48) because I am a repeat customer, and have not been satisfied with my earlier purchases. I will now own so darn many Brooklyn caps..........each one just a little bit "off"..........
        you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

While we're on the subject of authentic replication of Brooklyn caps, let me interject another thing........................if Mitchell & Ness are gonna charge $250-$275 for a Brooklyn road jersey (gray, with "Brooklyn" in script across the front and the number 4 on the back), why not make it with a ZIPPER? The "real" ones had zippers...........

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
            While we're on the subject of authentic replication of Brooklyn caps, let me interject another thing........................if Mitchell & Ness are gonna charge $250-$275 for a Brooklyn road jersey (gray, with "Brooklyn" in script across the front and the number 4 on the back), why not make it with a ZIPPER? The "real" ones had zippers...........
            Oh, and STOP advertising them as Duke Snider jerseys.........it's a Dolph Camilli jersey!!!! Sheeeesh........

Comment

May I recommend Cooperstown Ball Cap Company. They aims to pleeze!!
              http://pushpull.wordpress.com/2007/0...-soft-mine-is/
              Last edited by Ralph Zig Tyko; 04-24-2008, 12:52 PM.
              ---
              Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
              Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Ok sorry for the size of these, I hope it doesn't scerw anyone up but here are my Dodger caps. Like penncentralpete, I too have a bunch, each one slightly off. Here is the best I can do at depicting and describing.

#1. the 1957 version from ballcap.com
                #2 the 1948 version from ballcap.com
                #3 the 1955 version from ballcap.com NO CUTOUT
                #4 1970's New Era
                #5 1970's Annco
                #6 1980's Roman Pro
                #7 1980's Roman Pro 1938 style
                #8 All caps for color comparison

So here goes...(I will post #6-8 in the next post) with some comments...

Lou, NY
                Attached Files

Comment

#6 1980's Roman Pro
                  #7 1980's Roman Pro White 1938 Babe Ruth style
                  #8 All caps for color comparison

So, that is my collection and evidence of my attempts to find a cap that is close to the original. As penncentralpete says, each one seems a bit off in its own way. I really don't think any of them is an exact replica of, say, a 1955 cap.

OK, so now I want to hear from the old timers... which one is the closest to the original? My original post dealt with purchasing a cap that closely represented the cap from the 1955 Championship season, which one of these is closest?

Can anyone tell me why it is so hard for such companies as Cooperstown Cap Co. to replicate the original??? Is there some copyright law that exists? Youknow, there is a bar in Brooklyn that is called, the Brooklyn Dodger and there was a court battle brought by the idiots in LA because the bar was using the name Brookly Dodger (our name). That is why I would not be surprised to find out that there is some law that prevents the exact duplication of OUR Dodger "B" logo.

Can you believe that I was not even born before Ebbets was torn down but because of my Father and his oral history, this team means so much to me? I am not even ashamed to say that in the NY area, there was reapeated the other night the program, The Brooklyn Dodgers, The Ghosts of Flatbush and I was in tears. I think only Brooklyn fans and their decendants can really understand how this team affected its fans and their offspring. To me, this team IS my Dad.

Anyway, enough of my tounge in cheek sentiment, which cap is the closest?

I am so thrilled that finally this subject is being addressed by the group.

Lou, NY
                  Attached Files

Comment

To me, it's obvious. The Roman Pro cap is the closest to my old eyes. Too bad they are out of business nowadays. I own that Roman Pro Dodger cap, but it has been through the wars and is in terrible shape. I tried washing it, etc..................but to no avail. BTW, while I'm on the floor here......one of my earlier posts complaining about the Brooklyn jersey with buttons....I stand corrected. The Brooklyn road jerseys in 1945 DID have buttons. Earlier years had zippers.

Comment

Wow, Lou.......you mean I'm not the only "quack" with NUMEROUS Brooklyn caps? I have jerseys, jackets, undershirts (for uniforms), tee's......you name it! BTW, Lou: your caps look to be in excellent shape! I wear mine constantly, and they are a bit WORN (like me).

Comment

Hi Pete,

Yes, I am a quack when it comes to the Brooklyn Dodgers - thanks to my Dad.

Thanks, Pete, all of my caps are in mint condition. The Roman Pro model was worn during two years of softball seasons but I have an unworn cap in my collection as well.

I was never able to find just the right copy of the logo - still not sure why that is when cap makers are able to solidly replicate other teams' logos without issue, so I kept purchasing caps without any luck.

I had high hopes for ballcap.com but even though their caps are made per order and not mass produced and are quality caps compared to the other offerings these days, they still fail, in my opinion, when it comes to authenticity (based upon period photo comparisons) - why is that?

You know, I'll share this story as well. In 1971, my Father wrote to the then Director of Public Relations of the LA club asking him to make a Brooklyn cap for him. Well, needless to say, he dismissed my Father as a "quack" and said that there exists no such cap any longer and that the Dodgers were an LA team since 1958. Well, my Dad persisted and after a series of letters back and forth from NY to LA and back, one day, in the mail, arrived a cap from LA with a Brooklyn Dodger "B" on it. I remember tracing the logo and I still have that tracing buried in a box in the basement of my mothers house. It did resemble the Roman Pro version. But, I mention this as an example of the type of fan that my Father and his 5 other brothers were when it concerned THEIR BROOKLYN Dodgers. My uncle, his brother, tells me that it was a Bakersfield Dodgers cap, the farm club.

Was there a Bakersfield Dodgers team and was their caps exact replicas or "extras" from the days of Brooklyn??? Are there any photos of this farm club around today???

Anyone care to comment???

Lou, NY

Comment

Bakersfield Dodgers

In 1968, the Bakersfield Bears switched affiliations from the Philadelphia Phillies to the Los Angeles Dodgers and took the Dodgers nickname. In 1976, Bakersfield and Visalia dropped out of the California League and the Dodgers switched affiliates to Lodi. In 1984, the Bakersfield Mariners switched affiliations from the Seattle Mariners to the Dodgers and again took the Dodgers nickname. In 1995 the Dodgers switched affiliates to the San Bernardino Spirit and Bakersfield became a co-op team known as the Bakersfield Blaze.

Comment

I apologize for the lousy pix, but here is evidence:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Excellent! Great shots. I do have to say that those "B: logos do not look like the "B" that was on my Dad's cap in 1971.

I wonder how close to the Brooklyn "B", those Bakersfield caps were.

Can anyone make a comparison and comment.

Great work, Pete.

Lou

Comment

I think the 1938 B, although in the wrong color, is the best match to the B that we all know and love.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X