No announcement yet.

Brooklyn Dodger Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...man, that uncut "B" really escaped me all these years. I did see these pics before but always attributed not seeing the cut out on the angle at which the photo was taken or, sun glare.

Also, I asked my uncle about it but his memory did not recall an uncut "B" but as we know, memories fade. He claims to have an original cap the he purchased at Gerry Cosby's in NYC in 1953. He and my Father went to the store to purchase caps, he bought the Dodger cap and my Father, who had Dodger caps already, purchased a St. Louis Cardinal's cap since he absolutely adored Stan "The Man" Musial. he also had a three fingered Stan Musial glove that he wore during his own ball playing days.

As a side note to that, I don't know if anyone here would remember an old Brooklyn sandlot team called the Mustangs, but my Father and his brothers played for the Mustangs throughout the 1940's and early 1950's. From what my Dad told me, there were many italian social clubs back in the old neighborhood of the north side of Brooklyn, one of which was the Mustangs. They had a baseball team and played other clubs in various leagues during the period. How I wish I had that glove!

Lou, NY

Comment

Originally posted by skaukatt View Post
      penncentratpete,

That would be the same as my Roman Pro, right? When did you purchase that cap?

As I said, mine was purchased in the early 1980's at the then Roosevelt Raceway Flea Market on Long Island from a female cap vendor. At the time I bought a few of them. One I wore while playing softball, the other is unworn and only worn when stepping out the other two, one is part of a tribute with a framed picture of the 1955 Champs and the other I gave (holding) to/for my 8 year old daughter to carry on the legacy to the next gen.

Lou, NY
      Hi Lou: The picture of my Roman Pro cap was taken long ago. I wish it was still in that shape. I wore it all the time from the late '70's (when I bought it thru the mail) and now it is in very rough shape. It has turned purple and is very dirty. I attempted to wash it many times, but still is pretty bad!
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

pete,

Do you think it is the same as my own Roman Pro that I submitted here? It looks very very close if not exactly like it.

Lou, NY

Comment

...man, that uncut "B" really escaped me all these years. I did see these pics before but always attributed not seeing the cut out on the angle at which the photo was taken or, sun glare.

Also, I asked my uncle about it but his memory did not recall an uncut "B" but as we know, memories fade. He claims to have an original cap the he purchased at Gerry Cosby's in NYC in 1953. He and my Father went to the store to purchase caps, he bought the Dodger cap and my Father, who had Dodger caps already, purchased a St. Louis Cardinal's cap since he absolutely adored Stan "The Man" Musial. he also had a three fingered Stan Musial glove that he wore during his own ball playing days.

As a side note to that, I don't know if anyone here would remember an old Brooklyn sandlot team called the Mustangs, but my Father and his brothers played for the Mustangs throughout the 1940's and early 1950's. From what my Dad told me, there were many italian social clubs back in the old neighborhood of the north side of Brooklyn, one of which was the Mustangs. They had a baseball team and played other clubs in various leagues during the period. How I wish I had that glove!

Lou, NY
          Hey Lou: You mean this ol' thing????? lol
          Attached Files
          you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

pete,

Do you think it is the same as my own Roman Pro that I submitted here? It looks very very close if not exactly like it.

Lou, NY
            Lou: Like I said, I bought it many years ago thru the mail from Roman Pro. 1970's.................was GREAT for about 20 years, then it got really dirty and purplish..........I should have done what you did (buy a FEW), but who knew???? I thought I would always be able to purchase a great replica Brooklyn cap whenever I wanted more........boy was I wrong!

Comment

I like this one, but it was from BEFORE the scripted "Dodgers" on the front of the home jerseys......
              Attached Files

Comment

I also like this cap, but it too was from BEFORE the team had "Dodgers" scripted across the jersey.
                Attached Files

Comment

...you're a regular riot!!!

That looks very similar to my own old Sonnett shown here:

Is yours a Musial?

Lou, NY
                  Attached Files

Comment

pete,

Those two caps you posted, how close to the originals in terms of logos and colors?

i have seen these offered but I always passed on the buying opportunity. These, I guess were from the uniforms prior to 1936?

Lou, NY

Comment

It's a four-finger Musial. I own a few old gloves. One from the '30's. I collect (to WEAR) old caps, uniforms, etc. (jackets, too). Here's an old-time Dodger jacket (with leather sleeves).........
                      Attached Files

Comment

pete,

Those two caps you posted, how close to the originals in terms of logos and colors?

i have seen these offered but I always passed on the buying opportunity. These, I guess were from the uniforms prior to 1936?

Lou, NY
                        How close these caps are to the originals is anybody's guess (all the old pictures are black and white). Here's 2 more from waaaay back.....
                        Attached Files

Comment

two more..........
                          Attached Files

Comment

Sweet jacket - very nice. I'd be proud to walk around with that!

I have seen pictures of originals that had tan or light brown sleeves - not sure why they used brown - had nothing to do with the team colors.

Nice jacket, pete. Wear it with pride, my Friend.

Lou, NY

Comment

......and two more..........
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nice caps, too. My only white Dodgers cap is that Roman Pro purchased at the same time as the blue ones form the same vendor at that flea mkt.

Lou, NY

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X