Brooklyn Dodger Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skaukatt View Post
    Sweet jacket - very nice. I'd be proud to walk around with that!

I have seen pictures of originals that had tan or light brown sleeves - not sure why they used brown - had nothing to do with the team colors.

Nice jacket, pete. Wear it with pride, my Friend.

Lou, NY
    Thank you, Lou.............I have a few different Dodger jackets............that's my favorite one.
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Here's a shot of Shotgun Shuba with my wife Linda. She's wearing a rhinestoned Brooklyn satin jacket and George is wearing a very old-time cap.
      Attached Files
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

yes, that green one - what were they thinking?

Still a nice collection of our Dodgers history. Nice to see that there are others like me who still care and think about this team.

Can I even say "our" Dodgers history as I was not even born prior to the theft of the team???? Yet and still, I have so much of an oral history in my brain and my heart, it as if I lived the agony and the ecstacy along with him (my Dad).

Lou, NY

Comment

...great shot of your wife and George, I saw that one on the other board. Looks like it was a nice time for everyone. A reunion, of sorts?

It must have been an honor to be amongst those old time players.

Lou, NY

Comment

Originally posted by skaukatt View Post
            yes, that green one - what were they thinking?

Still a nice collection of our Dodgers history. Nice to see that there are others like me who still care and think about this team.

Can I even say "our" Dodgers history as I was not even born prior to the theft of the team???? Yet and still, I have so much of an oral history in my brain and my heart, it as if I lived the agony and the ecstacy along with him (my Dad).

Lou, NY
            Lou: You are not alone! I think and talk about the Brooklyn Dodgers most every day. I wear my caps, jerseys, jackets all the time. My family is used to me by now. The neighbors are shocked when I am NOT wearing a Brooklyn piece.............lol

Comment

I also re-play all of the Brooklyn seasons on my Strat-O-Matic computer game. I've re-played 1941, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1955, 1956....and am in the process of re-playing the 1953 season as we speak! (don't get me started). lol

Comment

pete,

you are a true champion of our cause!!! I hear ya' loud and clear, my Friend...

How I wish my Dad was here to see this board and others like it - how he would have appreciated the interest that still exists for this team.

Keep the Faith!

Lou, NY

Comment

Brooklyn Dodger caps

This is an article from 1989 in the New York Times: When manufacturers and retailers of old-fashioned baseball caps talk about the soaring demand for their product, they describe the Brooklyn Dodgers' cap as the hottest item going. When they talk about reasons why, the name of a man who was born the year the Dodgers left Brooklyn for Los Angeles almost always comes up.

WHEN manufacturers and retailers of old-fashioned baseball caps talk about the soaring demand for their product, they describe the Brooklyn Dodgers' cap as the hottest item going. When they talk about reasons why, the name of a man who was born the year the Dodgers left Brooklyn for Los Angeles almost always comes up.

Spike Lee, the 32-year-old Brooklyn native who wrote, produced, directed and starred in the critically acclaimed film, ''Do the Right Thing,'' has apparently inspired a trend, according to some retailers, who say black youths are buying Lee's trademark Brooklyn Dodgers caps in large numbers.

''We have sold a great amount of Dodgers caps recently,'' said Peter Capolino, the owner of Mitchell & Ness, a major Philadelphia sporting goods store. ''Spike Lee has made it very popular, and several rap groups are also wearing caps. It's increased our sales tremendously.''

Lee is rarely seen in a film, commercial or interview without either his white Dodgers hat or more recent blue model, and he frequently wears old-style Dodgers jerseys. As Lee's popularity increases, so do the number of Dodgers caps showing up alongside Mets and Yankees hats on the streets of New York.

''Spike Lee was born in Brooklyn, and he believes you can make it anywhere,'' said Corey Pettie, a 19-year-old resident of the Bronx who owns caps of the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants. ''He's trying to tell the youths to remember where they're from, and they relate to that. More young kids are buying the old-time hats than they are the current ones.''

''I'm a fan of Spike Lee's, and I saw him wearing the hats all the time,'' said Kwyn Bader, a 20-year-old student at Columbia University who recently bought his second old Dodgers cap.

Although the Lee phenomenon has been most evident in New York, it has spread to cities across the country. Steven Valeri, product manager for Roman Pro, a company in Brockton, Mass., that has a contract with Major League Baseball to manufacture old-fashioned caps, said Lee is a main reason why Brooklyn Dodger caps are his company's top sellers.

''Of the 57 caps we sell to retailers, the two Brooklyn Dodgers caps are numbers one and two,'' Valeri said. ''We've made hats for Spike Lee's movies, and we've received a lot of visibility from that. Lee's effect on the hats is seen in all of our main markets.''

Comment

Friends:

I must be wearing Spike Lee's lid! Okay, so the pure white hat isn't authentic; I'll wear it anyway in honor of our Boys of Summer who are truly the guys in the white hats.

I think my family considers me quite mad when it comes to the Bums; I was born in 1960, so I missed them entirely, and MAYBE there was an unbroken brick of Ebbets Field still lying around on Sullivan Place. Maybe.

But, racing in on 50 with my parents aging, my memories of living in Brooklyn almost 40 years old, having to "Press 1 for English," being bombarded by Britney Spears, Columbine, Nine-Eleven, a faltering economy, illegal immigration, and the overwhelming rudeness and uncouthness of modern America, the Brooklyn Dodgers represent a kinder, gentler America where people of all shades of skin and opinion didn't much mind sitting shoulder to shoulder in a ballpark without a revolving restaurant to watch a team that might lose. But there was always next year!

So I watch the old games on tape and disc, buy prepackaged memorabilia, bid on ebay for torn ticket stubs, wear replica hats, absorb Brooklyn Dodger history and trivia, and talk to others who remember and those who don't:

"Nice Boston Red Sox hat? BROOKLYN Dodgers? The Dodgers were in BROOKLYN? When? They were the archenemies of who? The Yankees? Now THAT I like! Wait! The GIANTS were in New York too? Oh, wow. I didn't know that!"

Doing my best at keeping the Spirit of '55 alive. :candle:
                    Last edited by Spirit of '55; 04-27-2008, 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling
                    Spirit of '55:cap:

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Comment

• ...very nicely put, Spirit of '55.

i was born in '61 and like you, missed them completely. As I have stated before, the Dodgers that I came to know where from the rich oral history that was instilled in me by my Father, my Grandmother, and his brothers (my uncles). They lived and breathed it and as luck would have it, I was the beneficiary of those memories which I treasure.

I cannot think of that team without thinking of my late Father and vice versa. I hang the '55 team photo over my desk at work. I am constantly reminded of those by gone days that you speak of.

As you said, "keeping the spirit alive" is how I see it.

Nice post,

Lou, NY

Comment

• My first Brooklyn Dodger game was when my dad and his brother (Uncle Herman) took me to Ebbets Field in 1954 (I was 7 going on 8). Duke Snider homered against Lew Burdette and that was it! I was a Duke/Dodger fan from that moment to this very minute! My uncle bought me a Dodgers' cap ($1.00) and I haven't found another that close to the real thing since!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                          Hi Guys: Right now I think we are at a dead end. The old Roman Pro caps (no longer in business) were the closest thing to a REAL Brooklyn cap. The other versions of very old Brooklyn caps are all we have as far as good replicas go. I am talking about the 1932 two-tone blue cap, the 1937 green cap, and the 1938 "Babe" cap (also the blue cap with white ribbing and a red "B"). As far as the '50's cap (blue with the white "B"), they are awful.
                          Mitchell and Ness also used to make some excellent caps, true to the period, but they've abandoned that market in favor of making modern designs....

Comment

• Originally posted by six4three View Post
                            Mitchell and Ness also used to make some excellent caps, true to the period, but they've abandoned that market in favor of making modern designs....
                            Yes.......the key words here are "USED TO"....................

Comment

• Originally posted by six4three View Post
                              Even with Cooperstown replicas they tend to put the thick letters on the caps. Not only with the Brooklyn caps, but also with the Pirates pill box cap. An outrage.

Comment

• Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                                Yes.......the key words here are "USED TO"....................
                                Yeah, it's been about six or eight years. I still buy every one in my size when they hit eBay....

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X