No announcement yet.

Brooklyn Dodger Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a bit of searching on ebay I found one like mine and you are correct. It is a New Era. It is my favorite because of the thick rough feel and the well done logo. The same seller has some Brooklyn hats but the logo is ugly. The Giants "NY" logo and the black and orange were used 1933-1936 and then again in 1947-1949. 49 is when the "NY" changed to the one the Mets copied. Also an ugly logo.
    Sean
    p.s. MEL OTT RULES!

Comment

• We all buy these caps, right?, sometimes even the bad ones, albeit reluctantly, because we can't get any others. Don't they realize if the made a great "authentic" cap we'd buy the daylights out it and give them away as gifts to family and friends. We'd also horde a supply all our own so when one wore out we'd have another! They'd sell loads. The old m and n B is the b I'd choose, the 56 and 57 caps looked different, more like the cap Pete showed above, which I do have, a nice logo for 56-57. the Koufax auto graphed hat if it were really much darker, would be peerrrfect! white cap button is a must.
      battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

• Originally posted by sean138 View Post
        After a bit of searching on ebay I found one like mine and you are correct. It is a New Era. It is my favorite because of the thick rough feel and the well done logo. The same seller has some Brooklyn hats but the logo is ugly. The Giants "NY" logo and the black and orange were used 1933-1936 and then again in 1947-1949. 49 is when the "NY" changed to the one the Mets copied. Also an ugly logo.
        Sean
        Terrible quality photos, but you really get a sense of the thicker wool they used in that line.

I'm with you on the Giants/Mets logo - I think they chose the wrong one. There's something about the original that's much more elegant. Maybe it's the asymmetry.
        Attached Files

Comment

• That B is from some Minor League franchise or something. I know I've seen it somewhere, just not on a Dodgers cap.

Comment

• Check out this post from earlier in the thread - it was used in the 1980s by the Dodgers' farm club in Bakersfield.

That having been said, I wouldn't doubt that the Brooklyn Dodgers might have used it briefly - as this thread demonstrates, they had a lot of variety in their cap logos, and sometimes the ones used very briefly become enshrined as the "official" version.

Comment

• Bumping this thread - I was doing some research on an unrelated topic (Eddie Gaedel), and I stumbled on this game-worn Babe Ruth coach's cap from 1938 that recently went up for auction.

Absolutely stunning. So's the winning bid.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by six4three; 07-25-2008, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• I'm so glad to see this thread still generating some interest. I started this thread a few times in my attempts at finding "the" perfect replica, but alas, it was not possible.

You can tell from the photo that I have just about exhausted all options. The attached photo displays a lineup of all my Dodgers Caps (I posted this in an earlier reply in this thread).

I wear a few that look better than others. I agree with what was said that if only some maker would make a "good and authentic" replica, they would clean up with us Dodgers fans.

Keep the faith,

Lou, NY
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by skaukatt View Post
                  I'm so glad to see this thread still generating some interest. I started this thread a few times in my attempts at finding "the" perfect replica, but alas, it was not possible.

You can tell from the photo that I have just about exhausted all options. The attached photo displays a lineup of all my Dodgers Caps (I posted this in an earlier reply in this thread).

I wear a few that look better than others. I agree with what was said that if only some maker would make a "good and authentic" replica, they would clean up with us Dodgers fans.

Keep the faith,

Lou, NY
                  I have to say, the 2nd and 3rd ones from the left are the cream of that crop. Are they old Roman Pros?

Comment

• Hi Jove23,

Thanks for the reply!

Actually the 2nd from the left is the 1948 version from ballcap.com and the thrid from the left is the 1955 version from ballcap.com, notice that there is NO DIAMOND CUTOUT where the loops of the "B" meet on the spine. These ballcp.com caps would be great if the logo were only accurate which I think they are not - way too large. The caps themselves feel a bit flimsy compared to todays caps which are way firmer and stiffer but the flimsy feel could be more period correct - I just do not know about that.

The Roman Pro cap is #6 in the lineup just to the left of the Babe Ruth style white cap. I bought this cap in the early 1980's along with the Ruth cap.

If I were to choose a "pick of the litter" my money would be on #4, 5 or 6 from the left - but I only know the logo from photos not the real deal as some can remember. #4 and 5 were given to me by my father - or I just cannot remember where I got them but they are old, perhaps from the 1970's since I know that they have been around for a long long time in my family and I didn't purchase them personally so they must have been my dad's. They are made by New Era and the other, Annco.

If you look at page 4 of this thread you will see all the cap descriptions from when I first posted them.

Thanks again and,

Keep the Faith,

Lou, NY

Comment

• Re: the lack of a "diamond cutout" on the Brooklyn "B"..............I have posted pix here proving there was NO CUTOUT in the '55 nor '56 caps. Check it out.
                      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

• Hello Penncentralpete,

I have seen many photos where the cap logo is perhaps distorted or unclear due to camera angle, lighting etc... that it could appear that there is no cutout but I would agree with you that the '55 and '56 caps appear to have NO CUTOUT.

When I showed my uncle, who practically lived at Ebbets with my late Father, the alleged '55 cap, he laughed at at. He said he never saw a Brooklyn cap with such a logo (solid "B" - from the modern era, that is). But perhaps his memory is faded and is just not recalling it.

So, from correspondence with ballcaps.com about this, they substantiate this '55 cap by using this photo of Johnny Podres as evidence. You can see that the cutout is difficult to observe, if it is there at all. Also, the owner of ballcaps.com told me that she made this cap and took it to LA where Podres was appearing at a book signing or memorabelia show, intending to get his autograph and she claims he said,"How did you get my cap?"

The same claim (can't make out the cutout, and it appears as if it is not there at all) can be made of this photo of the Duke and this alleged 1956 Pee Wee original that was on some auction site. However, here's also a shot of Pee Wee where clearly the cut is visible - looks to be '57?

I just don't know...

Lou, NY
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by skaukatt; 08-04-2008, 06:20 AM.

Comment

• Hi penncentralpete,

You were substantiating the fact that there really was NO CUTOUT on the '55 and '56 cap - I then would have to agree with you as evidenced by my submitted photos as well. You and my photos have convinced me.

Sorry for my confusion!!!

So, I guess there really was NO CUTOUT on the '55 -6 season caps. I do maintain, however, that the ballcaps.com logo is way too large. Which is a shame.

What do you think?

Lou, NY
                          Last edited by skaukatt; 08-04-2008, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• It's also worth remembering that the Dodgers' cap logos were very inconsistent, and varied from year to year and even player to player....

Comment

• ...without a doubt, just check out just about any team photo, even the '55 Champs team photo, or group shot over the years of the team.

Lou, NY

Comment

• Originally posted by skaukatt View Post
                                Hi penncentralpete,

You were substantiating the fact that there really was NO CUTOUT on the '55 and '56 cap - I then would have to agree with you as evidenced by my submitted photos as well. You and my photos have convinced me.

Sorry for my confusion!!!

So, I guess there really was NO CUTOUT on the '55 -6 season caps. I do maintain, however, that the ballcaps.com logo is way too large. Which is a shame.

What do you think?

Lou, NY
                                Hello Lou in NY: How are you? The Dodgers returned to the "cutout" (in the "B") in '57. There was NO cutout in the "B" in '55 nor '56. I hesitate to re-post all of the many photos to prove this fact. If you are feeling energetic, you can peruse all of my posted photos from the past showing the solid B. This post is typed with all due respect to other members' fathers, uncles, grandfathers, etc. who do not believe this fact, working from memory alone. I do not want to appear didactic on this subject, but (once again) it's a proven fact. BTW, yes, I agree that ballcap.com got the solid "B" correct for the '55 and '56 caps, but the "B" is much too large. Their color blue might be "off" a bit as well. As time marches on, these Brooklyn caps will only become stranger and stranger (incorrect). Sad, but probably true.
                                Last edited by penncentralpete; 08-04-2008, 01:17 PM.
                                you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                                http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X