X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSmile
    replied
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    The "B" is the best Ive seen since Cooperstown Ballcap went under. The blue is about right (maybe a touch too light), but the button is blue, and the little 47 logo on the side drives me nuts. I own this cap, and I painted the button white. I don't understand why they cant get these caps 100% accurate!
    Love the shape of the cap...the 'B' looks great. If they made a version without the '47 logo and 'Dodgers' on the back I'd buy one.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    Found this hat at a Lids and it caught my eye...is this the most accurate retail hat to date?
    http://www.lids.com/MLB/Brooklyn-Dodgers/20461625
    The "B" is the best Ive seen since Cooperstown Ballcap went under. The blue is about right (maybe a touch too light), but the button is blue, and the little 47 logo on the side drives me nuts. I own this cap, and I painted the button white. I don't understand why they cant get these caps 100% accurate!

Leave a comment:

• Gehrig27
    replied
    I miss the "Old Boy" series, I really wanted the 1908 Cubs hat but they discontinued the line before I could get one. Speaking of American Needle though, they have a new old style of adjustable hats that look pretty good - even the Dodger hat: http://shop.americanneedle.com/colle...ooklyn-dodgers

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    When I was a boy, I would buy a "Dodger blue" fitted cap for 75 cents and a felt "Brooklyn B" for a quarter at the local "sports store." My mom would iron the B onto the cap and it would last me the summer (beginning to peel off around August). Didn't bother with the blue button on top. The photo of the "latest" Brooklyn cap has this "felt-like" B that looks to be ironed on!! Also no white button on top. My personal "beater" Brooklyn caps have decent Bs and I spray the button white. We do what we can do as old Dodger fanatics.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by Anubis2051 View Post
    Found this hat at a Lids and it caught my eye...is this the most accurate retail hat to date?
    I don't think American Needle makes the "Old Boy" hat anymore, which was the most accurate looking old style hat available. They did a 1922 model, I believe. Cooperstown Ballcap Company did a very accurate 1940s cap, with shade of blue being the only questionable element. They shut down maybe four years ago.

This, with its additional script, doesn't quite make it but the B looks good.

It's probably worth getting as a "beater" since old Roman Pro hats and the like can't be replaced and the latex in the bill begins to get brittle.

Leave a comment:

• Anubis2051
    replied

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    I own so very many Brooklyn Dodger caps, that after a while, I catagorized them thusly: Ones I wear in the foul weather, ones I wear without any other Brooklyn "stuff" (jerseys, jackets, etc.), and special ones that are very close to correct that I wear with my flannel jerseys, or official jackets (in nice weather). It's gotten to a point where even I can see it's a bit silly.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    I'd say the cap in the photos of the actor isn't bad, but too light a blue. Odd to me, considering that they did a better job with the sleeves.

I have never seen a Roman Pro "B" that looked like the above, but I have to accept that it exists. It's the current red Sox "B" with an odd triangle cut out that disregards the shape of the letter.
    It does, I own both those caps. My favorite Brooklyn cap is a 1941 I got from Cooperstown Ballcaps a few years back. The right shade of blue, soft crown, and a bit better with the logo, although not as good as the 1947 we all bought that was too dark in color.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Barrie
    replied
    I'd say the cap in the photos of the actor isn't bad, but too light a blue. Odd to me, considering that they did a better job with the sleeves.

I have never seen a Roman Pro "B" that looked like the above, but I have to accept that it exists. It's the current red Sox "B" with an odd triangle cut out that disregards the shape of the letter.

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    The cap in the poster resembles the current Annco Brooklyn cap, and the old Roman Pro design.

brooklyn_dodgers_1939_57_cooperstown_fitted_cap.jpg
    American Needle version

vintage-roman-pro-brooklyn-dodgers-fitted-cap_2.jpg
    Roman Pro version

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    Originally posted by theAmazingMet View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]122217[/ATTACH]

The cap is definitely not the same one that New Era produces. This looks closer to the cap Pete was trying to get right with the Cooperstown Ballcap Co. The crown looks a tad too high, and the stitching on the "B" is a touch too thick making the diamond cutout seem small. It looks like the "B" is a sewn on patch and not made of stitching either. I dont think its too bad, and would probably buy and wear something like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]122224[/ATTACH]
    Those aren't so bad, but here's the Man himself:

The hat you posted was better than the current mass production repros, but noticeably different from the original Robinson is wearing here.

The cap the actor is wearing in some of the ads closely resembles the current "Red Sox" oriented souvenir cap, though. See?

I wonder what it is about the Brooklyn Dodger's logo that's made it so hard to replicate properly?

The last run of Cooperstown Ballcaps got that logo right at least, but dyed them a shade light. The color is too light here - Lasorda blue, not Brooklyn Blue. Look at Jackie Robinson's picture and compare.

Why is it reproducing this cap mission impossible, even with a big Hollywood budget?

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    42_11.jpg

The cap is definitely not the same one that New Era produces. This looks closer to the cap Pete was trying to get right with the Cooperstown Ballcap Co. The crown looks a tad too high, and the stitching on the "B" is a touch too thick making the diamond cutout seem small. It looks like the "B" is a sewn on patch and not made of stitching either. I dont think its too bad, and would probably buy and wear something like this.

42-movie-photo-2.jpg
    Last edited by theAmazingMet; 04-01-2013, 10:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mongoose
    replied
    I saw the advertisements for the biographical film about Jackie Robinson.

It's great they're doing a film for theatrical release about him. It's long overdue. I hope it does honor and justice to the man and the team.

I couldn't help but notice, though, that the cap the actor wears in the advertisements looks like the bogus, current mainstream repro that gets the logo wrong. It's closest to a 1955 logo, but isn't one of those either. It's basically a Boston Red Sox logo in white on a blue cap. I hope the rest of the movie is more accurate. Details like that can spoil a film for me.

I'm wondering if MLB made them use a current souvenir cap for licensing purposes or something like that. If the costume department did it on their own they weren't paying attention.

Hopefully the filmmakers did a better job on the story.

Leave a comment:

• penncentralpete
    replied
    If you again look at my post (#228) on page 10 of this thread, you will notice that I made the button on the top white. I've actually sprayed buttons white with Krylon paint on a few of my Brooklyn caps that had decent "B"s, but a blue button. Alas, we do what we can...........

Leave a comment:

• theAmazingMet
    replied
    Better late than never. Thanks for your interest, and input!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X