Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooklyn Dodger Caps

Friends:

As part of setting up my new (moved) law office, I have dedicated the vestibule to OUR Brooklyn Dodgers. It is incredible what a topic of conversation our beloved Bums are. A true icebreaker with clients.

Among my memorabilia, I want to collect the various caps worn by the team over the years. I have seen quite a variety on various websites---such as green and white, white and blue, blue and white, striped, windowpaned.

Does anybody have a chronology of the varying headgear? I know the familiar Royal Blue with White "B" dates between 1939 and 1957 (I'm wearing it as I type), but the listings have gaps in dates, there are Home and Road variations, etc.

One particular cap is White with a Royal Blue "B." I like the look of it, sort of an inverse of the classic cap, but I have no idea when it was worn and who might have worn it.

Somebody in my circle, being considerate, but not a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, brought me a hat from the West Coast National League Franchise: "It's the same team." "No. No it's not, thanks anyway," and I very politely refused to display it among the others. I guess it'll make a good potholder or some such thing. My poor friend got an impromptu history lesson, and gets it now, I think.

Any help on this would be very appreciated!
    Spirit of '55:cap:

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Baseball Uniforms book

Hello Spirit.

An outstanding resource is Marc Okkonen's "Baseball Uniforms of the 20th Century" (ISBN 0 8069 8491 0). This book offers year-by-year color illustrations of each team's uniforms, including caps. It's also useful for dating the exact year that photos were taken.

I also recommend www.dugout-memories.com to purchase very fine vintage cap, jersey, pennant, jacket, and reproductions by Mitchell & Ness, as well as other nostalgic items.

You're right about these items being conversation starters. My English teaching office in Japan is decorated with them. I'm loinin 'em about dem Bums.

All the Best,

Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post

Somebody in my circle, being considerate, but not a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, brought me a hat from the West Coast National League Franchise: "It's the same team." "No. No it's not, thanks anyway," and I very politely refused to display it among the others. I guess it'll make a good potholder or some such thing. My poor friend got an impromptu history lesson, and gets it now, I think.

Any help on this would be very appreciated!
      That reminds me of 2 stories:

1) After the Browns announced they were moving to Baltimore before the agreement to leave the name in Cleveland, my brother wanted to get me a Balitmore Browns shirt and wondered why I wouldn't root for that team, contending its the same team. I would write what I said to him but Dodger Deb wouldn't appreciate the language.

2) When team Canada's hockey team lost in 98 to the Chech Republic (I lived in Canada for a while and have Canadian citizenship) this girl I was involved with went on a trip to Europe and said she thought of buying me a Chech Republic jersey. I asked her why she thought I would want one and she said "why not they won." I was like "you don't understand me at all" we didn't last very long after that

Comment

A great site for historic Ballcaps is http://www.ballcap.com/ There is allot of Brooklyn Dodgers caps, they are very well made caps and are historically accurate. I have a 1910 NY Highlanders cap and love it, I want to pick up a Dodger's cap as soon as I can!
        39 AL Pennants • 26 World Series titles
        2003 • 2001 • 2000 • 1999•1998 • 1996 •1981 • 1978 •1977 • 1976 • 1964 • 1963 •1962 • 1961 • 1960 •1958•1957 • 1956 • 1955 • 1953 • 1952 • 1951 • 1950 • 1949•1947 • 1943 • 1942 • 1941•1939 • 1938 • 1937 • 1936•1932 • 1928 • 1927 • 1926 •1923 • 1922 • 1921

:bowdown:1•3•4•5•7•8•8•9•10•15 16•23•32•37•42•44•49 & soon 2•6•20•21•51•42

Comment

Friends:

Struggling as I've been with health problems, last night was sleepless. I did manage to make lemonade out of some very sour lemons, spending most of the night (between bouts of discomfort) researching the different ballcaps used by the proto-Dodger Bridegrooms, Superbas, and Robins, as well as our Dodgers.

What a history! Each successive cap says something new about the team, where it was psychologically, and how it related to the fans and to the other teams of the time. By the way, does anybody know the story behind 1937's green livery? It was the only time the Dodgers abandoned the celestial colors of blue and white. I was unable to pin down why.

Anyway, what came of this is a beautiful 8.5 x 11 three-panel display piece that I created on the computer, showing each cap, discussing its history, and summarizing the life of our Brooklyn team (with logos and graphics). As soon as I can, I'm planning on having each panel laminated and framed in tryptych, and hanging that alongside my growing cap collection.

If anybody knows anything about any particular cap (like the white cap with blue B that was the alternate headgear to the usual blue cap with white B in 1939), please let me know. Your contributions will add to the display, and even though only my law clients will see it, you will be immortalized and profoundly thanked by me.

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Comment

Look at this ugly one. IMO it has NOTHING to do with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

This B is so ugly.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
              Look at this ugly one. IMO it has NOTHING to do with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

This B is so ugly.
              Yankeebiscuitfan & Friends:

Wow, ugh! That's definitely an inauthentic knock-off to be sold in places like darkest Indiana and the Amazon.com Basin. The B IS uggg-lyyy. THAT ONE will not make my collection. I promise.

I happen to like this one, but I have NO IDEA if it was actually ever used by the team in 1939---Does anyone know?

http://www.amazon.com/Brooklyn-Dodge...281090&sr=1-11

Last edited by Spirit of '55; 03-23-2008, 07:08 AM. Reason: Insert link

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post
                Yankeebiscuitfan & Friends:

Wow, ugh! That's definitely an inauthentic knock-off to be sold in places like darkest Indiana and the Amazon.com Basin. The B IS uggg-lyyy. THAT ONE will not make my collection. I promise.

I happen to like this one, but I have NO IDEA if it was actually ever used by the team in 1939---Does anyone know?

http://www.amazon.com/Brooklyn-Dodge...281090&sr=1-11

I think that I have seen a photo of Babe Ruth as a Dodgers' coach, wearing a cap like that.
                Last edited by Yankeebiscuitfan; 03-23-2008, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Hello folks,

I wanted to get your take on what the DEFINITIVE Brooklyn Dodger cap is. I was reading the Gene Hermanski sticky and a debate sprung up there about which cap most accurately reflects the real thing worn by the players. The cap I recently got from the Cooperstown Collection is nice, but then I look at pictures of the players' caps and go, "Ehhh, something's not right here."

What do you guys think?

Comment

Hey Jove23, put a pic of the cap on, and someone will decide.
                    MySpace Codes

Comment

Does this cap look authentic to you guys...
                      MySpace Codes

Comment

I found this cool cap online too...

a 1917-1922 Dodgers cap
                        MySpace Codes

Comment

Originally posted by stejay View Post
                          Hey Jove23, put a pic of the cap on, and someone will decide.
                          Alright.

http://www.baseballtoddsdugout.com/bobbymorgan.jpg

This link is to a fairly large picture of Dodger Bobby Morgan. You can make out the styling of the B.

The cap I and many others have is like the first one you posted, stejay. I found this one, which I think is an almost exact replica (but what do I know) signed by some guy named Sandy Koufax:

To my untrained eyes, at least, the B looks spot on, but the color of the hat itself is too light.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Friends:

It's very hard to decide what's "definitive." Just look at the "classic" uniform of the late 40s and 50s:

In different photos of different players at different times, and perhaps in different seasons, the B appears thicker or thinner, and the color (in the old color photos) could be anything in the bright dark blue family. Uniforms seemed either pristine white or a light ecru. Or are my eyes playing tricks?

Does anybody know what company was officially licensed by the team to produce player clothing? They might have records identifying the authentic colors and shapes used.

I would suspect that some of the knock-off caps sold as Brooklyn hats nowadays are LA hats with a different device. Western Dodger Blue isn't Eastern Dodger Blue. What does the West Coast Franchise care about authenticity? They themselves are not the "authentic" Dodgers.

Comment

Originally posted by stejay View Post
                              Does this cap look authentic to you guys...
                              Not authentic, there is no white button.
                              ---
                              Pushing on the doors of life marked "pull."
                              Visit my blogsigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X