Brooklyn Dodgers influence in the 21st Century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooklyn Dodgers influence in the 21st Century

Just thought that some of the BROOKLYN faithful might find this amusing.

Driving in to work this (Monday, March 24th) morning, I was listening to WBIG 100.3 FM, a Washington, DC area classic rock station.

Announcer: "Oh Gosh, it's time to change computer passwords again and I've run out of 1955 BROOKLYN DODGERS! Well, maybe I could use Los Angeles Dodgers.....NEVER!"
    "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Cool. I hear people say Brooklyn Dodgers quotes and idioms every day.
    MySpace Codes

Comment

My mother grew up in Bay Ridge and is now a teacher in Fairfax County, Virginia. One of the younger male teachers, upon realizing that she is from "New York" (as a lot of people here in the DC area say), asked her if her family rooted for the Yankees or the Mets when she was a kid.

She says that he seemed completely flummoxed when she pushed her glasses down her nose, glared at him, and told him that everyone she knew rooted for the DODGERS.
      I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

More of Same...

Friends:

It is AMAZING how many times I hear or read references to the Brooklyn Dodgers. Curiously, I DID NOT hear many references at all growing up in Brooklyn and Long Island. I also hear a lot of talk about the Dodgers returning to Brooklyn. This seems to be a recent and growing phenomenon.

Any thoughts on why?

Spirit of '55:cap:

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post
          I also hear a lot of talk about the Dodgers returning to Brooklyn. This seems to be a recent and growing phenomenon.

Any thoughts on why?

people talking (seriously) about the la team's return to brooklyn are probably also talking about gas returning to 30 cents a gallon next year and the 1940s motion picture decency code being put back into place. because all three of those things have the same chance of ever happening. 0%
          Last edited by willisraverchk77; 03-29-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by willisraverchk77 View Post
            people talking (seriously) about the la team's return to brooklyn are probably also talking about gas returning to 30 cents a gallon next year and the 1940s motion picture decency code being put back into place. because all three of those things have the same chance of ever happening. 0%
            Dear Willis:

Thirty cent a gallon gas is possible if we develop alternative fuels.

The Motion Picture Decency Code was enforced by the biggest pack of perverts on the planet, so who needs it anyway?

The Dodgers coming home to Brooklyn---just a change of ownership, my friend, that's all it would take. Or even just a change of mind by the current ownership. After all, Wallet O' Money kidnapped our team regardless of fan reaction.

I bet even some Los Angelenos would applaud our team. One team---two homes. Why not? As long as the cap has a B on it.

"Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

Comment

The Dodgers coming home to Brooklyn---just a change of ownership, my friend, that's all it would take. Or even just a change of mind by the current ownership. After all, Wallet O' Money kidnapped our team regardless of fan reaction.

I bet even some Los Angelenos would applaud our team. One team---two homes. Why not? As long as the cap has a B on it.

yeah, but you forgot the most important thing--it makes zero sense.

lets put it this way, it would be "right" to give the entire united states of america back to the native americans and all of us to go back to europe or wherever. but there's no logic to it, just as there's no logic to one of the most sucessful teams in baseball who are making money hand over fist, and going to draw 4 million fans to move? move why? move into what stadium? move approved by what commissioner? :noidea you might as well suggest moving the yankees.

the LA team should never have existed in its present form, o'money was wrong to move the team out of the NY area, but you can't put the genie back in the bottle.
              Last edited by willisraverchk77; 03-29-2008, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aa3rt View Post
                Just thought that some of the BROOKLYN faithful might find this amusing.

Driving in to work this (Monday, March 24th) morning, I was listening to WBIG 100.3 FM, a Washington, DC area classic rock station.

Announcer: "Oh Gosh, it's time to change computer passwords again and I've run out of 1955 BROOKLYN DODGERS! Well, maybe I could use Los Angeles Dodgers.....NEVER!"
                Dear Willis:

Thirty cent a gallon gas is possible if we develop alternative fuels.

The Motion Picture Decency Code was enforced by the biggest pack of perverts on the planet, so who needs it anyway?

By golly, you've got it...let them play half the season in lalaland and half the season in Brooklyn...then everybody could be happy (or peeved).

Comment

O Ye of little faith...

Friends:

Two sets of thoughts:

First thought: Moving the Dodgers back to Brooklyn makes sense IF the ownership could make a solid effort to connect with Brooklyn, and, for that matter, all BROOKLYN fans.

Second thought: My thought on the "Brooklyn and Los Angeles Dodgers" is that three options exist:

(1) The team can play as LA in the west and Brooklyn in the east;

(2) The team drops the city and just becomes "The Dodgers"; or,

(3) The team players can wear either Los Angeles or Brooklyn livery at their discretion---Easy issue to solve. LA owns all the licenses (so every time we buy any Brooklyn Dodgers paraphenalia, we're supporting LA!), so providing Brooklyn gear should not be too difficult.

It would be a unique idea, anyway. Still, I like my first thought best.

Comment

Even if the Dodgers would get a new owner who wants to move the team back to Brooklyn, this will never happen. Don't you need a unanimous voting for that by the other owners? Big Stein or otherwise his idiotic son Hank will never agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
                      Even if the Dodgers would get a new owner who wants to move the team back to Brooklyn, this will never happen. Don't you need a unanimous voting for that by the other owners? Big Stein or otherwise his idiotic son Hank will never agree with this.
                      You need the approval of at least three-quarters of the teams in your league AND at least one-half of the teams in the other league. Also, the current rules say that no "area" may have more than two franchises (makes me wonder if this was put in specially for New York City). I don't know how they define "area."

The Expos' move to DC was not a unanimous vote (Angelos being the only one to vote against it), but obviously it went through anyway.
                      I will not assimilate into the Angelos Collective. Resistance is not futile.

Comment

Fred Wilpon might object, too.

Comment

Friends:

Fred Wilpon is a Brooklyn Dodgers fan. At least I'm sure he wouldn't object. As for the rest---Anything is achievable with enough ingenuity and a enough MAC-10s

Hey, don't look at me! It worked in Godfather III, didn't it?

Damn! We should have put a horse's head in O'Malley's bed! Who knew?

Comment

Those west-coast dudes only drew 115,300 last night for an exhibition game................I don't think they're thinking about returning to the borough of churches any time soon..............
                            you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                            http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                              Those west-coast dudes only drew 115,300 last night for an exhibition game...............
                              No doubt, they came in the 3rd inning and left by the 6th inning, as usual.....a tale of loyal and true baseball fans!

c.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X