X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Yogi "balk" in '55?

Is this a catcher's balk?
    Attached Files
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

catcher's balk

Actually, if Yogi left his catchers' box BEFORE the ball left the pitcher's hand, it is a balk (charged to the pitcher).
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
      Actually, if Yogi left his catchers' box BEFORE the ball left the pitcher's hand, it is a balk (charged to the pitcher).
      It sure looks like he left the catcher's box early.
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=4RUQflfZ3L4&feature=related

Comment

Of course it was a balk....but they never call it.

Comment

"But Jackie stole home, which is just as good as getting a run..."

Comment

Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
            Of course it was a balk....but they never call it.
            man, i never even knew a catcher could balk! that's why i love this forum, you learn something new everyday!

i can totally hear Yogi saying something like "I always stayed behind the batters box, except when I jumped in front of it" haha

Comment

Originally posted by willisraverchk77 View Post
              man, i never even knew a catcher could balk! that's why i love this forum, you learn something new everyday!

i can totally hear Yogi saying something like "I always stayed behind the batters box, except when I jumped in front of it" haha
              If the catcher leaves his catcher's box BEFORE the pitch is out of the pitcher's hand it is a balk. A misnomer: "catcher's balk"......as even though he caused it, the balk is of course charged to the pitcher.

Comment

misnomer: "catcher's balk"......as even though he caused it, the balk is of course charged to the pitcher.
                That's how it is now, and that's how it was in '55, but there used to be an actual catcher's balk. A rule change after the 1950 season dropped the catcher's balk with the balk now being charged to the pitcher.

Comment

Guess the pic is real, Pete? As a graphic designer, I wondered if perhaps someone used Photoshop to move Yogi forward. (Anymore they can place you or me on the grassy knoll in Dallas!) Just curious. Probably just my being too skeptical. Not trying to be argumentative or disrespect you in any way. Just throwing that out to see that you thought. If that's the real McCoy (and it probably is), then that's a really unique photo. Thanks for sharing it!

Todd

Comment

Well, like a pinhead, I viewed the video....and by golly, Yogi jumped way out front, exactly where your shot showed him! Amazing!

I shoulda looked at the video before showing my skepticism. I'll put some ketchup on my previous post and digest it promptly....

Todd

Comment

The next time someone visits Yogi's museum, please tell him he balked. Yogi is an old man now. How much damage can he do? The Dodgers should have been given two runs: one on the balk and the other because Jackie was safe.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock View Post
                        The next time someone visits Yogi's museum, please tell him he balked. Yogi is an old man now. How much damage can he do? The Dodgers should have been given two runs: one on the balk and the other because Jackie was safe.
                        I actually TOLD Yogi about the catcher's balk at his son's wedding reception years ago...............He and Whitey just laughed.............

Comment

Really, I never knew that a catcher could balk too.

This is really new to me. But indeed, he is really close to the plate on that picture.

What should be the call and the consequences?

Comment

You're confusing two different rules; 4.03a and 7.07.

The catcher may leave the box to catch a pitch, EXCEPT during an intentional walk. However, he can't leave the box and interfere with the batter's swing or his ability to swing at the pitch.

Rule 7.07 applies to what Yogi did.

7.07 If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference and the ball is dead.

Yogi is not, "on or in front of home base", and he never touched the batter, or his bat.

People are confusing 7.07 with 4.03a.

(a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.
                            PENALTY: Balk.
                            Last edited by jbooth; 04-13-2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shlevine42 View Post
                              It sure looks like he left the catcher's box early.
                              http://youtube.com/watch?v=4RUQflfZ3L4&feature=related
                              In the video above, he never stepped on, or in front of home plate, and that is the only issue here.

It's rule 7.07, not 4.03a.

7.07 If, with a runner on third base and trying to score by means of a squeeze play or a steal, the catcher or any other fielder steps on, or in front of home base without possession of the ball, or touches the batter or his bat, the pitcher shall be charged with a balk, the batter shall be awarded first base on the interference and the ball is dead.

Yogi is not, "on or in front of home base", and he never touched the batter, or his bat. Part of the reason that Jackie was safe is due to the fact that Yogi had to stay behind the plate, and it made it hard to get the glove down in front of the plate. I don't know if Jackie should have been called out or not, but Yogi didn't violate any rules.

People are confusing 7.07 with 4.03a.

(a) The catcher shall station himself directly back of the plate. He may leave his position at any time to catch a pitch or make a play except that when the batter is being given an intentional base on balls, the catcher must stand with both feet within the lines of the catcher’s box until the ball leaves the pitcher’s hand.
                              PENALTY: Balk.
                              Last edited by jbooth; 04-13-2008, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X