Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of the Jackie Robinson rotunda at Citi Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mandrake View Post
    I am more upset about the name CITI field. Citicorp lays off tens of thousands of people, but can find the $$$ to name a stadium. Disgusting.
    In fact, CITI remains in a huge $$$ mess and there are whispers that they could go the way of Bear Stearns...but they can name a stadium!!!! (Maybe another Enron Park?)

For the record I am 46. Several years ago I came across a 'profile test' where you answered questions and you were judged to be a Brooklyn Dodger fan, A NY Giants fan, or a NY Yankee fan. I was 'judged' a NY Giants fan with this blurb :"insufferable while winning, invisible while losing". I did not think I am like that, but that was the 'result'.

I am a diehard Ranger fan. Always will be. I have travelled around the US to watch them. I could not care less about the Knicks.

I grew up a NY Jets fan, married a Giants fan and after seeing how much better behaved the Giants crowd is and how terrible the Jets crowd had become, I now lean to the Giants. I could not imagine taking my kids to a Jets game under any circumstance. They are a vulgar and disgusting group of drunks.
    Citi is too big to go the way of Bear. Bear may have been in the top tier of investment banks but it was at the lower end of the top tier. Also it was an investment bank and didn't house nearly 10% of all American deposits.

As for the name rights, yeah I don't get why big name companies spend the money on those. Its one thing when it was 3Com, because fewer people know who they were at the time. Regarding why they can spend $20 million on naming rights while firing people its considered marketing so its out of that budget.

Lastly, I only went to one Giants game because you have to walk on water twice to get seats. The Jets fans are a little rowdier at the stadium, because its a younger crowd. But the changing allegences due to your wife requires you to turn in your guy card

Comment

Yes, I veered off topic. I know that everyone is selling the names to stadiums, and the sellers constantly change (what is the name of Candlestick today?) but Citicorp has no right to spend millions while firing 17,000 workers.
      Of course it has the right. It has the legal obligation to continue its marketing practices, to protect its shareholders (and the remaining employees).

Citi isn't doing this out of some civic responsibility, or even ego - they're doing it because it's advertising, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by six4three View Post
        Of course it has the right. It has the legal obligation to continue its marketing practices, to protect its shareholders (and the remaining employees).

Citi isn't doing this out of some civic responsibility, or even ego - they're doing it because it's advertising, plain and simple.
        Well, what did Enron have in mind when then named the Atros park?
        It has become difficult to keep track of the names of stadiums.

As far as Citicorp, the public may think they are too big to fail, but they are in some very serious waters. Scary, nearly 1929 waters. The only thing keeping them afloat are huge infusions of cash from Abu Dhabi, China and a few other foreign nations. I don't want to go "Wall St" here (you can search the web for yourself); I just have a problem with thousands of AMERICANS losing their jobs while Citi gets their name on a new stadium for a while.
        Would you get upset if it is eventually called " People's Republic of China Stadium" someday?

Comment

Well, what did Enron have in mind when then named the Atros park?
          It has become difficult to keep track of the names of stadiums.

As far as Citicorp, the public may think they are too big to fail, but they are in some very serious waters. Scary, nearly 1929 waters. The only thing keeping them afloat are huge infusions of cash from Abu Dhabi, China and a few other foreign nations. I don't want to go "Wall St" here (you can search the web for yourself); I just have a problem with thousands of AMERICANS losing their jobs while Citi gets their name on a new stadium for a while.
          Would you get upset if it is eventually called " People's Republic of China Stadium" someday?
          While I appreciate where all of you are coming from, regarding the corporate sponsors of our nations Baseball ballparks, can we all please return to the topic of this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

c.

Comment

Does anyone know what Jackie Robinson's post retirement/move allegences were? Did he become a Mets fan or was he still rooting for the Dodgers?

Comment

Originally posted by Yankeebiscuitfan View Post
              I was wondering how you guys look at the Jackie Robinson rotunda at Citi Field.

At one hand I think it is a good thing that he will be honored permanently. But at the other hand I have a weird feeling about this.

He was never a Mets player. What I read lately, the Mets were inaugurated as the Giants' replacement. So there is absolutely no tie with Jackie Robinson.

So what do you think about this?
              I like the idea. The connection isn't to the Mets, it's to the city and the National League.
              Visit www.statonebaseball.com to learn why traditional statistics are ultimately flawed...and why P/E Averages are not!

Comment

Will this Rotunda have marble similar to the Italian marble that Ebbets Field had?

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
                  Will this Rotunda have marble similar to the Italian marble that Ebbets Field had?
                  No. The Wilpons said Ebbets Field never had marble floors in the rotunda. They said Ebbets Field had terrazzo, so Citi Field will have terrazzo.

Comment

If the Mets HAD to copy another ballpark, can anyone think of a better park to emulate then Ebbets Field?
                    Baseball. The official sport of god.

Comment

• As great a player as Jackie was for the Dodgers he was never a Met, in 1956 he quit rather then go to the Giants. There is no way the Rotunda at the new Mets stadium should be named for Jackie, there is only one player truly connected to the Dodgers and Mets and it's Gil Hodges and the Rotunda should be named after him. Fred Wilpon like so many others today is just trying to be politically correct in picking Jackie Robinson Rotunda.
                      Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

• Let's face it...

Shea was basically demolished so the Wilpons could make more money. Shea didn't have enough room for luxury boxes, yet too much regular seating: this easy availability made selling season tickets more difficult. The Wilpons wanted a new stadium that would solve these problems. So they raided the public treasury for hundreds of millions of dollars in order to build a more profitable (for them) structure that would exclude the peasants.

This was the central reason behind the whole enterprise. The business about "honoring" Jackie Robinson comes off like a weird moral fig leaf to cover the brazen greediness of the maneuver...

Wilpon now gets to pose as some sort of humanitarian for swiping $800,000,000.00 of public money that would've been better spent almost anywhere else.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

• Originally posted by Spirit of '55 View Post
                          Friends: .......
                          The quotation of dry facts means very little. Did facts alone bring baseball back to Brooklyn (in the form of the Cyclones), and did facts make Citi Field resemble Ebbets Field?

No. These acts were the products of the human heart and memory (and profit motive, too).

And lest we forget: Facts are wonderful things. They can vanish in the twinkling of an eye.
                          A beautiful quotation.

Comment

• What do I think of the JRR?

It is one of the most beautiful public spaces in NYC. And while I havent been to all MLB stadiums it seems that it would take a lot to overmatch this architectural/historical/commemorative masterpiece.

And being in the stadium of NYC's National League team, I couldn't think of a better person to devote it to.
                            :lightbulb:Definition of a homerun: When the baseball gets hit to a DISTANCE that the fielder cannot get it into homeplate before the batter rounds the bases.

Associated Press -- Citi Field's smaller dimensions helped opponents more than the New York Mets.
                            Thanks Sandy Alderson.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X