Remembering CARL FURILLO....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering CARL FURILLO....

Today, March 8th, would have been CARL FURILLO'S 84th birthday! WE remember him with nothing but good memories!

Skoonj was such an important part of OUR DODGERS. WE never could have won all WE did without his bat or his arm.

If anyone has any special stories about Skoonj, please share them with US!

From Baseball Almanac.

c.
    Last edited by DODGER DEB; 03-08-2006, 05:35 PM.

A Good Man

Carl "Skoonj" Furillo was not only a rock solid, dependable player, but he was also a rock solid, dependable man-a true blue collar hero. He will also be long remembered and honored for not taking anything off Leo Durocher! One question: The lead character on the old 1980s hit, Hill Street Blues, was named Frank Furillo. Steven Bochco, the producer, was born in 1943 and grew up in New York during Furillo's heyday. Could this have been a tribute to Skoonj? Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
      Carl "Skoonj" Furillo was not only a rock solid, dependable player, but he was also a rock solid, dependable man-a true blue collar hero. He will also be long remembered and honored for not taking anything off Leo Durocher! One question: The lead character on the old 1980s hit, Hill Street Blues, was named Frank Furillo. Steven Bochco, the producer, was born in 1943 and grew up in New York during Furillo's heyday. Could this have been a tribute to Skoonj? Brownie31
      I never thought about that! You could be right, Brownie31!

c.

Comment

HAPPY B-DAY, SKOONJ! :gt

Last edited by Mattingly; 03-08-2006, 09:26 AM.
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
        Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
        THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

THIS is how WE remembered SKOONJ in 2005, here on OUR Forum....

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...225#post262225

I also need to correct an oversight on my part. Today, March 8th would also have been the 84th birthday of AL GIONFRIDDO, OUR hero of one game during the 1947 World Series with that incredible catch.

c.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
            Today, March 8th, would have been CARL FURILLO'S 84th birthday! WE remember him with nothing but good memories!

Skoonj was such an important part of OUR DODGERS. WE never could have won all WE did without his bat or his arm.

If anyone has any special stories about Skoonj, please share them with US!

c.

Okay, I'll bite.
            As everyone knows, Carl Furillo threw right-handed. In the trick photograph posted by Dodger Deb (uncredited, I might add), the player wearing #6 will throw left-handed when he catches the forthcoming ball, leading me to believe that we are not looking at Carl Furillo. In addition, the player in the photo does not have the facial appearance of Carl Furillo, and - if you were to ask me - I would claim that the signature arguably reads Al Gionfriddo, rather than Carl Furillo. Of course, the facial appearance does not suggest Gionfriddo either, and Gionfriddo did not wear #6 for Brooklyn. Therefore, we have a plethora of conundrums to unravel, should anyone wish to go further with one of the most challenging mysteries to appear on this forum in many a moon.
            Any takers?
            pb::

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay
              Okay, I'll bite.
              As everyone knows, Carl Furillo threw right-handed. In the trick photograph posted by Dodger Deb (uncredited, I might add), the player wearing #6 will throw left-handed when he catches the forthcoming ball, leading me to believe that we are not looking at Carl Furillo. In addition, the player in the photo does not have the facial appearance of Carl Furillo, and - if you were to ask me - I would claim that the signature arguably reads Al Gionfriddo, rather than Carl Furillo. Of course, the facial appearance does not suggest Gionfriddo either, and Gionfriddo did not wear #6 for Brooklyn. Therefore, we have a plethora of conundrums to unravel, should anyone wish to go further with one of the most challenging mysteries to appear on this forum in many a moon.
              Any takers?

YOU are right, jaykay, I neglected to credit the source...it was our own Baseball Almanac.

As for the righthand/lefthand thing.....could that be the 1953 cast on Carl's lefthand, complements of Leo?

Other than that possibility the photo looks OK to me, albeit a posed shot. I don't think Gionfriddo was as tall as Carl. As for facial appearance, other than both of them being Italian, they each had distinct features.

Noting the signature...it sure looks like Furillo's.

As for unraveling your conundrum further, let's see if any other loyal and true BROOKLYN fan could "solve the puzzle".

c.
              Last edited by DODGER DEB; 03-08-2006, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Carl was one of the nicest Dodgers I ever met. I told the story where Carl signed both my yearbooks when I had bought only one ticket, great guy.
                Attached Files
                Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

"No suit for you!"

(photo from ebbetsfield.com)
                  Last edited by zman; 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM.

Comment

I remember reading a story about that photo but I can't remember who's glove he borrowed for that photo. It was obviously a gag.
                    Anyone know who he got the glove from?

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                      Today, March 8th would also have been the 84th birthday of AL GIONFRIDDO, OUR hero of one game during the 1947 World Series with that incredible catch.
                      c.

"Swing -- and belted to deep left-center. Back goes Gionfriddo. Back, back, back, back, back, back. He makes a one-handed catch against the bullpen. Whoaaahhhh, doctor."

(photo from grandstandsports.com)

Comment

Originally posted by kramer_47
                        I told the story where Carl signed both my yearbooks when I had bought only one ticket, great guy.
                        Well, I've never heard it. A good story bears repeated tellings. (hint, hint)

Comment

Originally posted by zman
                          Well, I've never heard it. A good story bears repeated tellings. (hint, hint)
                          I heard Carl was going to be signing autographs and auctioning some of his memorabilia for charity at a church near Flatbush Ave in 1983 so I decided to go to this show. I grabbed 2 yearbooks the 1954 and 1956 and I headed for the show, I don't know why I brought 2 yearbooks because I only wanted 1 autograph. When I got there I bought 1 ticket for $3 and waited on line to meet Carl. When I got up to Carl I looked for his picture in the 1954 yearbook and there was Carl hugging O'Malley I said you don't want to sign this one and he said "why not" and tried to grab it I said no and handed him the 1956 which he signed. Then he demanded I give him the 1954 to sign, which he signed for free, he got a good laugh when he saw why I wouldn't give it to him. For those that don't know O'Malley released Carl in 1960 while he was injured, after 15 years with the Dodgers, that shows you what a bum O'Malley was. The players in those days didn't make alot of money so Carl went on to be a construction worker on the World Trade Center and a police officer back home in Reading Pa because he was basically blackballed from baseball by O'Malley. I originally met Carl at Ebbets field through Gil Hodges and he was always nice to me so what he did on that day in 1983 was no surprise.
                          Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

Thanks, Kramer47. That's hilarious how he reacted to the photo of him and O'Malley. Makes me smile to think of him laughing it off. Some witers make it sound like he was dark and bitter in his old age but your story gives me hope that he worked his way through the disappointments and gained some measure of enjoyment and contentment in his life.
                            Last edited by zman; 03-10-2006, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Furillo was simply a class act and a childhood favorite of mine.
                              Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X