Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaykay
    Okay, I'll bite.
    As everyone knows, Carl Furillo threw right-handed. In the trick photograph posted by Dodger Deb (uncredited, I might add), the player wearing #6 will throw left-handed when he catches the forthcoming ball, leading me to believe that we are not looking at Carl Furillo. In addition, the player in the photo does not have the facial appearance of Carl Furillo, and - if you were to ask me - I would claim that the signature arguably reads Al Gionfriddo, rather than Carl Furillo. Of course, the facial appearance does not suggest Gionfriddo either, and Gionfriddo did not wear #6 for Brooklyn. Therefore, we have a plethora of conundrums to unravel, should anyone wish to go further with one of the most challenging mysteries to appear on this forum in many a moon.
    Any takers?
    I hadn't even noticed the cast. I've also never checked pictures for whether they threw or caught lefty-righty, so good looking out.

I'm sure there must be a story, because I hadn't even noticed the cast before. How does one catch with one's throwing right hand and wear a cast on one's catching left hand? How do you throw the ball back? I remember when I was 11 or so at PS 181 in Brooklyn, a kid did this by fielding the ball, dropping the "lefty" glove from his right hand and throwing the ball with his right hand, when the "lefty" glove was the only spare one available.

As to the face, I won't pretend to know Carl Furillo anywhere as well as you folks, but from the various pictures I'm seeing of him here and Deb's long shot in the original post, it looks like the same person's face.

Thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Mattingly; 03-10-2006, 11:38 AM.
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
    Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
    THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
    Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

As you said, Mattingly, others here would know better than me but it sure looks like Furillo to me. It's almost certainly not Gionfriddo because Game 7 of the 1947 World Series was his last big league appearance and the numbers on the front of the Dodgers uniform didn't appear until 1952. I found a slightly larger copy of the same photo but I still couldn't tell for sure if that's a cast on the left hand and forearm. The left hand looks very large and square which suggests it might be a cast. Also, the left hand and forearm appear lighter in color than the face. I don't think a shadow cast by the bill of his cap can account for the face being darker than the left hand and forearm given the angle of the light which can be discerned by the shadow cast by his other arm. I'll bet somebody with an 8x10 print could tell for sure.
      Last edited by zman; 03-10-2006, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling that Carl is looking down at us from heaven just shaking his head and laughing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mattingly
          I hadn't even noticed the cast. I've also never checked pictures for whether they threw or caught lefty-righty, so good looking out.

I'm sure there must be a story, because I hadn't even noticed the cast before. How does one catch with one's throwing right hand and wear a cast on one's catching left hand? How do you throw the ball back? I remember when I was 11 or so at PS 181 in Brooklyn, a kid did this by fielding the ball, dropping the "lefty" glove from his right hand and throwing the ball with his right hand, when the "lefty" glove was the only spare one available.

As to the face, I won't pretend to know Carl Furillo anywhere as well as you folks, but from the various pictures I'm seeing of him here and Deb's long shot in the original post, it looks like the same person's face.

Thoughts on this?
          I read recently, but forgot where, that Furillo wanted to keep his fielding in shape before the 1953 series while recovering from the broken hand. Thus he caught with his right hand. I don't know whether this picture was posed or not or if he could throw the ball. But I remember his 2-run homer in the
          9th inning of the 6th game to tie the score.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X