Buzzy Bavasi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    If actions speak louder than words then Campanis didn't deserve the brickbats thrown his way. I remember watching that interview and Campanis sounded a little confused. I think that Ted Koppell seemed like he thought the same and tried to help Campanis out, but to no avail. I still believe that if Jackie Robinson had still been alive in 1988, he would have come to Campanis's defense. It's difficult for me to beliebve that a racist would have been willing to help out Jackie Robinson right from the start. Even the most tolerant of the Dodgers didn't seem to really accept him until after the 1947 season.
    Those are two seperate things. Its like parents who love it when their kids have minorities as friends but would disown their children if they ever dated a minority. Lots of owners loved having black players but would never hire them to coach. Now it would be one thing if he made those comments in the 50s but he said them in the 80s. There is probably more behind the scenes that we don't know. It takes a lot to get Peter O'Malley to fire you.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
      What exactly did Bavasi do? Because whoever "Uncle Sam" is, he attributed Campanis's comments erroneously to Bavasi. Campanis made those comments in a national interview, not Bavasi. I watched that interview, it was on 20/20 I believe. So that certainly doesn't make Bavasi a bigot, just very unfortunately misattributed, typical of the great majority of blogs.
      I remember watching that interview also, and I think it was around 20 years ago. Wasn't that on Ted Koppel's Nightline show?

Anyway, RIP, Mr Bavasi.

Patrick Burns/The New York Times
      From left, Brooklyn Dodgers General Manager Buzzie Bavasi with Pee Wee Reese,
      Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella after signing them to contracts before the 1953 season.

Buzzie Bavasi, a Dodgers Innovator, Dies at 93
      Buzzie Bavasi, the general manager of the Dodgers during their glory years in Brooklyn and their first decade in Los Angeles, and a baseball executive for nearly a half-century, died Thursday in San Diego, where he lived. He was 93.

His death was announced by the Seattle Mariners. Bavasi’s son Bill is executive vice president and general manager of the team.

In his years with the Dodgers, San Diego Padres and California Angels, Bavasi was enmeshed in enormous change. He championed the acceptance of black players in organized baseball, helped take major league baseball to California, put together an expansion team in San Diego and saw power shift from management to the players with the arrival of free agency.

In his 18 years with the Dodgers, from 1951 to 1968, Bavasi’s clubs won eight National League pennants and four World Series championships, including the team’s only one in Brooklyn, in 1955, against the Yankees, building teams with the likes of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Jackie Robinson, Don Newcombe, Gil Hodges, Duke Snider, Pee Wee Reese, Roy Campanella and Maury Wills.

He was born Emil Joseph Bavasi in Manhattan, though he was not Emil for long. His sister Iola nicknamed him Buzzie because, he said, he was “always buzzing around.”

He started out in baseball in 1939 when the National League president, Ford Frick, whose son had roomed with Bavasi at DePauw University, recommended him for an office boy’s job with the Dodgers, then being run by Larry MacPhail. Soon, Bavasi was involved in his first deal — or non-deal, as it turned out.

Bavasi, who had been a catcher of no great distinction for DePauw, was in a scouting meeting in which a right-handed pitcher for Purdue, whom he once played against, had been mentioned as a good prospect.

“That night I got out my scrapbook,” Bavasi recalled in “Off the Record” (Contemporary Books, 1987), written with John Strege. “I looked up the box score of that Purdue game. DePauw had won and I had gotten three hits. So I took the box score into the office the next day. Larry MacPhail was prepared to pay this pitcher a bonus of $1,500. When he read the box score, he tore the contract up. Larry turned to me and said, ‘If you can get three hits off him, we don’t want him.’ ”
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
      Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
      THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
      Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

I spent the better part of a day with him many years ago when he ran a bunch of us through drills at a Dodger tryout. A couple of guys working with him were real drill sergeants. They never got close to us; they just barked out orders or criticism. Bavasi, however, would make the rounds in the field or the dugout of the squad that was batting and shoot the breeze with you. Even though he was spending the day looking at people who had virtually no chance of being signed, he seemed to enjoy his work.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun Shuba View Post
          My sources are telling me that Buzzy Bavasi died today at the age of 93. That is a big loss to Brooklyn fans everywhere.
          R.I.P. the baseball world will never forget you!
          http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Q_Zerpnj63I/Sa...flbot-qUQb.jpg

Comment

You, Musial6 said that a bigot is someone who is intolerant to other peoples views and opinions. You are welcome to your belief that Bavasi was a bigot, but you are very much mistaken. You my friend, have been led on by a person who is more than a bigot. He is a dis-respectful person, who does not care if he drags a decent, and caring man through the mud. This is a man who helped bring down the color barrier. I am not blaming you, you are just going by what you heard. It is this unclesam guy I have the beef with.
            MySpace Codes

Comment

There is no doubt that Race has evolved in MLB, as it has in society in general.

I never knew Al Campanis to be a racist...at least I never heard him express a racist remark. Sometimes, on a TV show, when each guest in looking to have attention drawn to them on the subject matter, no matter what it is, people get carried away in the few seconds they have to express themselves....and the words come out all wrong.

c.

Comment

I remember when Jackie first came up, my parents never said anything derogatory about any one. As kids then, we were amazed that Jackie was coming to the dodgers, because we then thought wow! why aren't more athletes like this wonderful player in the majors. Before Jackie robinson it wasn't a part of conversation and we didn't think about it and we weren't aware, that's how sheltered we all were, news media and what you learn in school is not what it is to day. of course we were kids, after Jackie Robinson the world knew and we saw what had been wrong for all those years. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X