No announcement yet.

Big Newk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe big newk wouldn't have been the most graceful left fielder, but i would've felt more confident with him at bat than gene hermanski. pete
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

big don newcombe, number 36. pete
      Attached Files
      you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
      http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

Big Newk

Just bought a reprint of the 1954 dodger yearbook (detailing the '53 season). What a thrill looking back. I was 8 years old in '52, my first season of vivid memories of the team. The '53 team was really my favorite. Imagine winning 105 games and then getting your ace back. I really don't know what was wrong with Newcombe in 1954, but in 1955 and 1956 he was brilliant. I always resented those people who claim he was a choker. In the 1949 series he loses the opener 1-0. On the last day of the 1950 season if Abrams scores, or is held up and then scores, Newk is a hero. If Thomson does not hit the homer in '51, well that's another big win for Newk. How about pitching both ends of a doubleheader in 1950. In '56 he carried the team until Maglie came to help. All the press accomplished with the choke talk was to drive him to the brink, which unfortunately, was his problem to start with. Anybody have any comments?

Comment

Newk was -- and still is -- a hero.

From the thread, "Rules for being a Brooklyn Dodgers Fan":

Side note to 9/30/51: The day before, Don ("He can't win the big ones") Newcombe had shut out the Phillies to keep the Dodgers in the race.

Now, on the final day...with the Giants having already won and with the Dodgers trailing the Phillies 6-1 in the third and with a depleted staff (the lame-armed Roe has started and lasted just two innings...then came Branca, then Labine, then Erskine), Dressen had no choice but to turn to his ace again.

In this "must-win" game, Newcombe responded with 5-2/3 innings of one-hit ball, holding the Phillies at bay while the Dodgers battled back to tie the game at 8, setting the stage for Robinson's heroic catch in the 12th and his game-winning home run in the 14th.

Let me say it again: The day before, Newcombe had thrown nine innings of shutout ball.

I bring this up because I'm tired of having Newcombe labeled a "loser."

Of course I'm aware of the Sisler home run and Newcombe's post-season failures against the Yankees, but his career with Brooklyn should be remembered for far more than those losses and his inability to get Berra out.

He was the workhorse of the staff...a durable and courageous pitcher who played a MAJOR role on five pennant-winning Dodgers teams.

He deserves better.

Comment

Newk's new role

He has been named special adviser to chairman Frank McCourt:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

(Please note that I have merged three Newk-related threads.)

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
              It, no doubt, has never occurred to him that winning some of "the big ones" would have made that more attainable.

c.

It would have helped if they gave him some runs to work with, don't you think?

Comment

I kind of liked this quote from the LAD press release for this story:

http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/ne...t=.jsp&c_id=la
                Newcombe recalls that King said, "Don, you'll never know how easy you and Jackie and (Larry) Doby and Campy (Roy Campanella) made it for me to do my job by what you did on the baseball field."

"Imagine, here is Martin getting beaten with billyclubs, bitten by dogs, and thrown in jail, and he says we made his job easier," Newcombe said.

Newcombe joined the Dodger front office in 1970 and has devoted countless hours to community service over the last five decades. Among his contributions, he has helped numerous others in their battles against substance abuse.

"What I have done after my baseball career - being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again - that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball," Newcombe said.

Newcombe is the lone survivor of the historic trio. Robinson died in 1972, just 10 days after the Dodgers paid tribute to him on the 25th Anniversary of his debut. Campanella, who outlived the doctors who treated him after an automobile accident left him paralyzed in January 1958, passed away in 1993.
                Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting. 2007-11 CBA
                Rest very peacefully, John “Buck” O'Neil (1911-2006) & Philip Francis “Scooter” Rizzuto (1917-2007)
                THE BROOKLYN DODGERS - 1890 thru 1957
                Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

A well-written piece from an L.A. area source called The Daily Breeze:

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/ci_12153992

It could have gone in the Jackie thread too, because the focus is on how Newk is keeping Robinson's memory alive.

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
                    in 1955 don newcombe won 20 games and lost only 5. that's only part of the story. that summer, newk hit 7 HR's, drove in 23, and batted .359. look at those numbers. let it sink in. got it? AMAZING! pete
                    Something I didn't fully realize until I saw a recent "This Day in Baseball History" column was that Newk got off to an even more amazing 18-1 start that year. He went 2-4 the rest of the way in the regular season.

Comment

I can only speculate as to whether she might want it even if offered, Zig. I'll see about relaying the thought, but meanwhile let's please keep from making any topic about any member...thanks.

Newk was in the news again recently not only for his charitable contributions but also for his stance on MLB's drug list:

"I don't know what baseball has to gain by letting it be released," said former Dodgers pitching great Don Newcombe. "There seems to be a cloud hanging over it, whether or not names are on there that shouldn't be on there. And this cloud gets darker and darker. But I don't really know what it proves if the names are divulged."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...LY6RYNHcb4uOpQ
                      Last edited by VIBaseball; 08-26-2009, 06:42 AM. Reason: Newk info

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                        Just that she contribute every now and again. She is missed.
                        Understood...that's how it came across from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by jayzeeg View Post
                          Just bought a reprint of the 1954 dodger yearbook (detailing the '53 season). What a thrill looking back. I was 8 years old in '52, my first season of vivid memories of the team. The '53 team was really my favorite. Imagine winning 105 games and then getting your ace back. I really don't know what was wrong with Newcombe in 1954, but in 1955 and 1956 he was brilliant. I always resented those people who claim he was a choker. In the 1949 series he loses the opener 1-0. On the last day of the 1950 season if Abrams scores, or is held up and then scores, Newk is a hero. If Thomson does not hit the homer in '51, well that's another big win for Newk. How about pitching both ends of a doubleheader in 1950. In '56 he carried the team until Maglie came to help. All the press accomplished with the choke talk was to drive him to the brink, which unfortunately, was his problem to start with. Anybody have any comments?

You failed to mention his 0-4, 8.59 ERA WS record.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X