Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Happened In Flatbush 1942 Movie

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It Happened In Flatbush 1942 Movie

    Not sure if anyone here posted on this before or has caught this movie that aired Saturday May 10, 2008 at 8:00am on FMC (Fox Movie Channel), I'm Tivo'ing now.

    The movie's description states: The new manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers woos a socialite to take stock in the club. It stars Lloyd Nolan, Carole Landis and William Frawley and is from 1942.

    I don't have a review at this moment as I am watching it as I type.

    Has anyone caught this movie?

    Lou, NY

  • #2
    Originally posted by skaukatt View Post
    Not sure if anyone here posted on this before or has caught this movie that aired Saturday May 10, 2008 at 8:00am on FMC (Fox Movie Channel), I'm Tivo'ing now.

    The movie's description states: The new manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers woos a socialite to take stock in the club. It stars Lloyd Nolan, Carole Landis and William Frawley and is from 1942.

    I don't have a review at this moment as I am watching it as I type.

    Has anyone caught this movie?

    Lou, NY
    Yes Lou, I have seen it a few times. It's entertaining if not too realistic. At the end the Cardinals have the bases loaded with the Dodgers leading by a run, a full count on the batter.........the announcer says "it's come down to this: if it's a strike it's Brooklyn, if it's a ball St. Louis"...............no it's NOT.....if it's a ball, it's TIED.................like I said, not that realistic........
    you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
    http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

    Comment


    • #3
      Dodger References In Movies

      Friends:

      Our Dodgers have made it into any number of films. In PRIDE OF THE YANKEES, Gehrig is described as "Crazy enough to be a Brooklyn Dodger."

      In the HBO special GHOSTS OF FLATBUSH, there's a very brief clip of four men in a business meeting. One (the "New Yorker") badmouths Our Bums. The other three do a Stooges-type, "Whyyyyyy, you!" and hit him with a chair, knocking him out. Any idea what film this is?

      Also, is this topic "Sticky"-worthy?

      Spirit of '55:cap:

      "Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

      Comment


      • #4
        I thought the movie was boring. Too much romance and not enough baseball. I thought is was unusual that the team was always refered to as Brooklyn and never the Dodgers.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
          I thought the movie was boring. Too much romance and not enough baseball. I thought is was unusual that the team was always refered to as Brooklyn and never the Dodgers.
          Ed...the first time I saw the movie, a generation ago, that was the first thing I noticed...obviously the production of the movie was not sanctioned by the Brooklyn Dodgers even though scenes were spliced in from actual Dodger games...

          The other piece of trivia is that the kid who played the bat boy was considered one of the great child actors of that generation...a decade later he was into the drug scene and died from an overdose at a very early age.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post
            The other piece of trivia is that the kid who played the bat boy was considered one of the great child actors of that generation...a decade later he was into the drug scene and died from an overdose at a very early age.
            Along with Jolson's incomparable voice and the wonderful performance of Larry Parks, it is the acting and sweet singing of SCOTTY BECKETT as young Asa Joelson that keeps bringing me back to The Jolson Story --- a film I replay about once a year and which never fails to move me.

            Comment


            • #7
              http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034905/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shlevine42 View Post
                Along with Jolson's incomparable voice and the wonderful performance of Larry Parks, it is the acting and sweet singing of SCOTTY BECKETT as young Asa Joelson that keeps bringing me back to The Jolson Story --- a film I replay about once a year and which never fails to move me.
                Friends:

                THE JOLSON STORY was the first movie was father saw in the US after coming here after the war. His first ballgame was at Ebbets Field on April 15, 1947, too!

                Spirit of '55:cap:

                "Let's Bring The Dodgers Home Before The Big Quake, Else The Fault Will Be Ours!"

                Comment


                • #9
                  The red skelton film, "whistling in brooklyn", has actual (really nice)scenes in ebbets field, red is even seen running up to the rotunda. durocher, is typically durocher. it's a comedy of course and a really nice piece of nostalgia. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shlevine42 View Post
                    Along with Jolson's incomparable voice and the wonderful performance of Larry Parks, it is the acting and sweet singing of SCOTTY BECKETT as young Asa Joelson that keeps bringing me back to The Jolson Story --- a film I replay about once a year and which never fails to move me.

                    Scotty only mouthed the lyrics. The voice belonged to Rudy Wissler.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dodger dynamo View Post
                      The red skelton film, "whistling in brooklyn", has actual (really nice)scenes in ebbets field, red is even seen running up to the rotunda. durocher, is typically durocher. it's a comedy of course and a really nice piece of nostalgia. battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

                      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036533/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by musial6 View Post
                        Scotty only mouthed the lyrics. The voice belonged to Rudy Wissler.

                        Wow! Never knew that I've been a fan of Wissler all these years!
                        Loved his voice.
                        I thought only Parks mouthed the lyrics in that film, but Beckett was every bit as convincing.
                        Great piece of trivia.
                        Thanks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Absolutely correct about Scotty Beckett mouthing the lyrics. My girlfriend mentioned that she hadn't seen "The Jolson Story" in a long time- I hadn't either- so I wound up getting her a DVD of the movie as a Mother's Day present and we both watched it a day early.

                          Even though Jolson was sixty or so and had half of one lung removed by then, Larry Parks just mouthed the lyrics as Jolson did all of his old songs. Quite an impressive performance.

                          I have no idea if Jolson was a baseball fan or not, but I wish the Giants could make half the comeback this year that he made in 1946!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by shlevine42 View Post
                            Wow! Never knew that I've been a fan of Wissler all these years!
                            Loved his voice.
                            I thought only Parks mouthed the lyrics in that film, but Beckett was every bit as convincing.
                            Great piece of trivia.
                            Thanks.

                            Note that Rudy also had an uncredited role in WHISTLING IN BROOKLYN.

                            Comment

                            Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X