Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgers threaten to leave Los Angeles - 1958?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that had actually happened, had stoneham actually done that, O'malley would be viewed in even a worse light! if that's possible? battlin bake, the dodger dynamo

Comment

Originally posted by six4three View Post
      Wow! Do you have a source on that?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Stoneham

Look at the last paragraph. I asked about this in the NY Giants forum. Look for the thread titled "Did the Giants Ever Think of Moving back" and got some responses.

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
        I think they may have went to Jersey City for a year strictly for expediency. I don't think they would have went to Minneapolis, because that territory still belonged to the Giants. I think they would have eventually moved into their own territory in Texas. Without the Dodgers in LA, I think it is possible that the NL would have twisted Stoneham's arm to leave the west coast, and the Giants would have gone to Minneapolis.

I saw the Ft Worth story in one of the Cleveland papers. I think it was the Plain Dealer.
        The Giants traded the Minneapolis territory to the Red Sox to get San Francisco. The SF Seals were the Red Sox's PCL team before the Giants moved out there.

As for Fort Worth didn't the Cubs have it at the time as a result of trading the Hollywood Stars to the Dodgers?

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
          The Giants traded the Minneapolis territory to the Red Sox to get San Francisco. The SF Seals were the Red Sox's PCL team before the Giants moved out there.

As for Fort Worth didn't the Cubs have it at the time as a result of trading the Hollywood Stars to the Dodgers?
          I wasn't aware that the Red Sox had a PCL connection. I think O'Malley probably would have worked a deal with Wrigley over Tesxas, Possibly re-trading the rights to the LA Angels back to him.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Stoneham

Look at the last paragraph. I asked about this in the NY Giants forum. Look for the thread titled "Did the Giants Ever Think of Moving back" and got some responses.
            There's no outside citation for that claim. It may be true, but Wikipedia doesn't really prove it.

Comment

There's no outside citation for that claim. It may be true, but Wikipedia doesn't really prove it.
              True, thats why I followed up in the NY Giants forum.

Comment

I wasn't aware that the Red Sox had a PCL connection. I think O'Malley probably would have worked a deal with Wrigley over Tesxas, Possibly re-trading the rights to the LA Angels back to him.
                Yeah he could have done that, he also could have gone to Montreal which he still controled or any number of places but all were real minor league cities at the time and weren't going to be major league ready for another decade or two.

Comment

Yeah he could have done that, he also could have gone to Montreal which he still controled or any number of places but all were real minor league cities at the time and weren't going to be major league ready for another decade or two.

I think the Commissioners office would have smoothed over any issues of territorial rights to prevent the Dodgers or Giants from becoming vagabond franchises.

Comment

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Ballpark Modeler View Post
                    Agreed. It seems these bizarre people think they have a copyright on "pain". No matter what else goes on in the world, their pain is more real than anybody else could possibly imagine. (Note how the mod always capatalizes words like OUR, ME and MINE)

And of course that horrible--worse than having your children murdered pain, gives them license to talk of fantasies of the murder of Walter O'Malley, or damning his soul to hell, or whatever--all in the name of sickening rightousness.

These people give Brooklynites a bad name. Not that they care though.
                    man, that was dumb. they're gonna rip you a new one for that.

(wish I had said it though.)

I wouldn't say they give Brooklynites a bad name. They are passionate baseball fans mourning the loss of their...favorite...baseball...team. (Even if their words sound like they are coming from petulant children (which they probably were in 1957)).

Interestingly enough, I haven't heard any comments about Pfizer (established in Brooklyn in 1849) shutting their last Brooklyn plant this year. 160 years vs. 73 years. Life long careers which produced millions of live saving drugs (couldn't have won WWII as quickly without the penicillin produced by Pfizer in Brooklyn) vs. low paying summer jobs and e...n...t...e...r...t...a...i...n...m...e...n...t.

Yup...the man who moved his business is equitable with people who orchestrated the holocaust and genocide in their countries. Makes perfect sense to me. Next time they close down a movie theatre, amusement park or bar in your neighborhood get out your hunting rifles to give those owners what they really deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
                      Agreed......agreed.

O'Malley now being "rewarded", is just more pain to Brooklyn Dodger fans.

Why should we be happy with that?
                      Well...

O'Malley going into the hall and that "rotunda" opening up next spring give the remaining Brooklyn Dodger fans their last "real" shot at some sort of relevance.

YOU can have your little protest at cooperstown and then show up in YOUR brooklyn finery next spring to show once again how much YOU were wronged above all others.

Comment

A Pfizer executive, John Smith, who was a part owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, was saying in 1948 that Ebbets Field needed to be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
                          Well...

O'Malley going into the hall and that "rotunda" opening up next spring give the remaining Brooklyn Dodger fans their last "real" shot at some sort of relevance.

YOU can have your little protest at cooperstown and then show up in YOUR brooklyn finery next spring to show once again how much YOU were wronged above all others.
                          You appear to be primarily interested in taking shots. There are Brooklyn Dodger fans; they are as "remaining" as any other life form on this planet.

They do not have to strive for either "relevance" or "some sort" of it.

If we stage a protest at Cooperstown, it will not be "little" or huge. It will be a protest.

The attire we wear is just that; it is not "finery."

We have been wronged; we have never said we were "wronged above all others."

If you want to continue to take shots with your little pea shooter, be prepared.

Comment

Originally posted by DODGER DEB View Post
                            He was a heartless and souless excuse for a human being. But, to your credit, you reacted as a real human being. THEREIN lies the difference!

c.
                            Yup. Let's Go Mets was "visiting" Dodgertown. He meets the owner of the place in his own elevator and by completely ignoring him somehow acts like the "real" human being by ignoring him. What happened to turning the other cheek or taking the high road?

I hope I'm never this bitter.

Comment

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
                              Yup. Let's Go Mets was "visiting" Dodgertown. He meets the owner of the place in his own elevator and by completely ignoring him somehow acts like the "real" human being by ignoring him. What happened to turning the other cheek or taking the high road?

I hope I'm never this bitter.
                              Oh, you poor sensitive soul, so hurt by bitterness. (By ignoring O'Malley, Let's Go Mets gave the owner a bonus: he turned both cheeks.) Oh, the difficulty of acting like a "real" human being. Oh, if only we could stop acting like fictional human beings. Oh, if only we could find the high road. (I now see why I ended up living next to a creek.) Oh, whatever happened to decency and moral values? Oh, why don't we focus on the closing of the Pfizer plant in Brooklyn?
                              Last edited by donzblock; 06-06-2008, 06:33 AM.

Comment

I think the Commissioners office would have smoothed over any issues of territorial rights to prevent the Dodgers or Giants from becoming vagabond franchises.
                                Yeah but how many cities were major league ready. Its 1958 we are talking about here. Minnesota was (they got the Twins 3 years later) but who else?

You had the rapid expansion of 61/62 which put teams in NY, Houston, Washington, and San Diego. Nothing again until 69 so take your pick it would have had to be Minnesota before the Twins got there, Houston, San Diego, or back to NY.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X