Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodgers threaten to leave Los Angeles - 1958?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aqib View Post
    Yeah but how many cities were major league ready. Its 1958 we are talking about here. Minnesota was (they got the Twins 3 years later) but who else?

You had the rapid expansion of 61/62 which put teams in NY, Houston, Washington, and San Diego. Nothing again until 69 so take your pick it would have had to be Minnesota before the Twins got there, Houston, San Diego, or back to NY.
    Just to clarify: San Diego didn't join the Majors until 1969. The 61/62 expansion brought in LA, Wasington (after the move to the Twin Cities), NY and Houston. If the LA move didn't work, I think the Dodgers end up in Texas. I think the chance they go back to New York would be zero, because O'Malley would be right back where he started.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock View Post
      Oh, you poor sensitive soul, so hurt by bitterness. (By ignoring O'Malley, Let's Go Mets gave the owner a bonus: he turned both cheeks.) Oh, the difficulty of acting like a "real" human being. Oh, if only we could stop acting like fictional human beings. Oh, if only we could find the high road. (I now see why I ended up living next to a creek.) Oh, whatever happened to decency and moral values? Oh, why don't we focus on the closing of the Pfizer plant in Brooklyn?

Why can't these posters understand that O'Malley deeply hurt hundreds of thousands of people? O'Malley's actions were planned and deliberate. He betrayed the teams entire fan base. He betrayed the city he was born in. Just to put a few more dollars in his deep, greedy pockets.

Or was it all Robert Moses fault?
      Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 06-06-2008, 09:07 AM.
      Let's Go Mets!
      New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Originally posted by MSUlaxer27 View Post
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Ballpark Modeler View Post
        Agreed. It seems these bizarre people think they have a copyright on "pain". No matter what else goes on in the world, their pain is more real than anybody else could possibly imagine. (Note how the mod always capatalizes words like OUR, ME and MINE)

And of course that horrible--worse than having your children murdered pain, gives them license to talk of fantasies of the murder of Walter O'Malley, or damning his soul to hell, or whatever--all in the name of sickening rightousness.

These people give Brooklynites a bad name. Not that they care though.
        man, that was dumb. they're gonna rip you a new one for that.

(wish I had said it though.)

I wouldn't say they give Brooklynites a bad name. They are passionate baseball fans mourning the loss of their...favorite...baseball...team. (Even if their words sound like they are coming from petulant children (which they probably were in 1957)).

Interestingly enough, I haven't heard any comments about Pfizer (established in Brooklyn in 1849) shutting their last Brooklyn plant this year. 160 years vs. 73 years. Life long careers which produced millions of live saving drugs (couldn't have won WWII as quickly without the penicillin produced by Pfizer in Brooklyn) vs. low paying summer jobs and e...n...t...e...r...t...a...i...n...m...e...n...t.

Yup...the man who moved his business is equitable with people who orchestrated the holocaust and genocide in their countries. Makes perfect sense to me. Next time they close down a movie theatre, amusement park or bar in your neighborhood get out your hunting rifles to give those owners what they really deserve.
        They closed down the Phizer plant! Oh no I remember going there with my dad watching them make medications! It was such a huge part of my relationship with him for many years.

Seriously dude, if sports was just a business you wouldn't be on this forum. You wouldn't spend time out of your day posting about a business. I am sure there are history and current events forums out there that you could post about what you consider truly horrific events.

As for the whole how the Brooklyn fans feel about O'Malley, lose one of your teams and don't get one back and see how you feel

Comment

As for the whole how the Brooklyn fans feel about O'Malley, lose one of your teams and don't get one back and see how you feel

Ford Frick would tell you that you have the Mets.
          Let's Go Mets!

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
            Just to clarify: San Diego didn't join the Majors until 1969. The 61/62 expansion brought in LA, Wasington (after the move to the Twin Cities), NY and Houston. If the LA move didn't work, I think the Dodgers end up in Texas. I think the chance they go back to New York would be zero, because O'Malley would be right back where he started.
            You are correct I had the order wrong. I am not sure he would have been right back where he started. The Moses deal probably wouldn't have looked so bad, but at that point stubborness may have taken over.

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
              Ford Frick would tell you that you have the Mets.
              Then I would tell him that the Mets are New York and not Brooklyn and then yield to my friend Matha who would set him straight on the difference.

Comment

My stance is that you have every right to hate O'Malley and everything about his cigar-chomping persona. I think had he been murdered it would have been tragic and senseless. I keep thinking of the lunatic(although I guess it was a day game) who came out of the stands in Brooklyn and pummeled the ump. If you are suprised someone in Brooklyn didn't murder him what does that say about Brooklyn fans? Whatever it it says it isn't good. He took an action which made many sad and many happy. It also led directly to many moments in NY baseball history which were glorious(1969, 1973, 1986 etc) and Millions would change nothing of what happened in 1958.

Comment

You are correct I had the order wrong. I am not sure he would have been right back where he started. The Moses deal probably wouldn't have looked so bad, but at that point stubborness may have taken over.
                  I think the Shea deal would have always looked bad to O'Malley. I t would have made the Dodgers a tenant to the city. Theyt would have still been decond figgel to the Yankees. And O'Malley would have still been in a city where he had little pull, and little power.

Comment

Originally posted by Gotham View Post
                    My stance is that you have every right to hate O'Malley and everything about his cigar-chomping persona. I think had he been murdered it would have been tragic and senseless. I keep thinking of the lunatic(although I guess it was a day game) who came out of the stands in Brooklyn and pummeled the ump. If you are suprised someone in Brooklyn didn't murder him what does that say about Brooklyn fans? Whatever it it says it isn't good. He took an action which made many sad and many happy. It also led directly to many moments in NY baseball history which were glorious(1969, 1973, 1986 etc) and Millions would change nothing of what happened in 1958.
                    By now, most of the hurt is gone. I immediately took to the Mets. I now even root for the once hated Yankees. I'm all New York City.

That's why I'll always hate Walter O'Malley!
                    Last edited by Let's Go Mets!; 06-19-2008, 09:05 PM.
                    Let's Go Mets!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X