Hypthetical Question - What if the Giants had Stayed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypthetical Question - What if the Giants had Stayed

I know the Giants were losing money and had one foot out the door long before the Dodgers, but lets say that at the last minute the Giants double backed and decided that the Robert Moses proposal was acceptable to them and they had stayed after the Dodgers left. How would Dodger fans have responded, would your disgust with O'Malley turn you into Giants fans or would you have turned off baseball entirely?

This one has already been thought through, and the conclusion was that if the Giants had stayed, then O'Malley would have been forced to stay, too, since the deal was that either two teams had to move or neither team would be allowed to. That means that Stoneham would have been a hero and would have been treated to free drinks in Brooklyn for the rest of his shorter life.

Comment

As the Professor stated, there was no way the DODGERS were going anywhere had Horace Stoneham not agreed to go along with the Big "O" and his grand scheme. He had the perfect "patsy" in Stoneham, and he used him mercerifulessly because the Giants were in terrible shape financially, and he knew it, as did Ford Frick and Warren Giles.

WE have discussed this numerous times here on OUR forum, going back a few years, and the conclusion was always the same.

I will add, as I did in some of those discussions, perhaps had WE made more of an effort to keep the Giants in NYC at that time, WE would still have OUR DODGERS here. Instead, OUR focus was to "Keep the DODGERS in BROOKLYN", which the Big "O" might have also counted on.

c.

Comment

Originally posted by aqib View Post
        would your disgust with O'Malley turn you into Giants fans or would you have turned off baseball entirely?
        that's not hypothetical, it's rhetorical!

I was a Cleveland Browns fan simply because of my inability to root for any team called the New York Giants.

turned off baseball? for what? Gaelic football in Van Cortland Park?
        After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

As others have said, O'Malley needed Stoneham to facilitate his move out west.

But hypothetically, had the Dodgers left and the Giants stayed, I suspect a certain amount of Dodger fans would have become fans of the black and orange. After all, many embraced the Mets a few years later. Now, I know it's not exactly the same, since the Mets were never a crosstown rival of the Dodgers, but it still strikes me as possible.

Comment

I have never met a Brooklyn Dodger fan who would have considered rooting for the New York Giants. That is unthinkable. Now I am sure that many New York Giant fans would have been delighted to root for the Brooklyn Dodgers if the latter had stayed and the former had moved. That does make sense, of course, but for a Brooklyn Dodger fan to descend into the depths dug by Hilda with her cowbell, impossible!

Comment

Originally posted by six4three View Post

But hypothetically, had the Dodgers left and the Giants stayed, I suspect a certain amount of Dodger fans would have become fans of the black and orange.
              and torches and pitchforks would have been unsheathed in carriage rooms all across the borough and those recreants would have been hunted down from Front Street to the Flatbush Avenue Extension from Red Hook to the Queens line and burned at the stake at Atlantic and Flatbush, hypothetically, of course.
              After 1957, it seemed like we would never laugh again. Of course, we did. Its just that we were never young again.

Comment

A loyal and true BROOKLYN DODGER FAN turning to root for the black and orange? Goodness grief, people would have looked at you and wondered if you had lost your mind, if you even suggested that back in 1958.

It just would NEVER have ever happened!

Always loyal and true to OUR DODGERS.....forever! OUR forum is absolute proof of that...51 years later!

c.

Comment

And there would have been a certain percentage of Dodger fans who still felt that way.

On the other hand, there were and continue to be a lot of Dodger fans who adopted the Mets without facing any pitchforks. Had the Giants stayed in the city that the Dodgers cravenly abandoned, some of those Met fans would have migrated to the Giants.

Comment

The whole thing was Brooklyn was not New York; especially Manhattan....the whole thing that made the Dodgers was that it gave Brooklyn a separate identity. Now we've had this ongoing discussion about the Dodgers moving to Queens...well Queens and Brooklyn really are part of one geographical mass (as are Nassau and Suffolk counties) and I've sort of adopted the position that since the four counties make up the Eastern District of New York as far as the federal courts are concerned and since the federal court is located in Brooklyn, Brooklyn is sort of the capital of Long Island! (I'm sure our friends in Queens, Nassau and Suffolk don't see it the same way of course) meaning I would have had no problem with the Brooklyn Dodgers playing in Queens and sort of, after everything calmed down, could consider the Mets almost a Brooklyn team but the Giants...well to use a New York expression no way Jose.

But as others have pointed out, this was simply impossible to occur. If the Giants don't go to Frisco, the Dodgers can't go to lala land.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real McCoy View Post
                      that's not hypothetical, it's rhetorical!

I was a Cleveland Browns fan simply because of my inability to root for any team called the New York Giants.

turned off baseball? for what? Gaelic football in Van Cortland Park?
                      There is nothing wrong with being a Cleveland Browns fan. I am a Cleveland Browns fan. Although it must be tough for you since you had to deal with the real Walter O'Malley and the Walter O'Malley of the 90s.

I know the Dodgers wouldn't have been allowed to go to LA without the Giants, I was just curious how the fans would have responded in theory had it worked out that way.

Comment

The Cleveland Browns' fan has given the sportsworld a blueprint to follow when a city loses its team for the wrong reasons. The LA franchise should not have been allowed to use the name "Dodgers" or to claim any of the history of the Brooklyn Dodgers. And the same applies to the franchise in SF: it is possible that with a new park, the Giants would have become a popular money-making franchise again; New York could have supported three teams.

Comment

Originally posted by donzblock View Post
                          The Cleveland Browns' fan has given the sportsworld a blueprint to follow when a city loses its team for the wrong reasons. The LA franchise should not have been allowed to use the name "Dodgers" or to claim any of the history of the Brooklyn Dodgers. And the same applies to the franchise in SF: it is possible that with a new park, the Giants would have become a popular money-making franchise again; New York could have supported three teams.
                          Ah...say it right...

New York could have supported two teams and the separate city of Brooklyn (as far as baseball was concerned) could have supported 1 team!

Comment

Originally posted by MATHA531 View Post

But as others have pointed out, this was simply impossible to occur. If the Giants don't go to Frisco, the Dodgers can't go to lala land.
                            I once heard Bowie Kuhn state that if he were Commisioner at the time, he would have blocked the move. Anybody know more about this?
                            Let's Go Mets!
                            New York Mets fan since 1962

Comment

Originally posted by Let's Go Mets! View Post
                              I once heard Bowie Kuhn state that if he were Commisioner at the time, he would have blocked the move. Anybody know more about this?
                              But in theory, we had a Commissioner a clown named Ford C. Frick who was charged to act in the best interests of baseball and of course there is no question that the theft of the Brooklyn franchise was not in the best interests of baseball (as later events clearly showed)......

But this cretin told the fans, "No big deal. They'll be Yankee fans."

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X