GIL HODGES on 2009 HOF VC Ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GIL HODGES on 2009 HOF VC Ballot

The National Baseball HOF issued their 2009 VC ballot yesterday with the names of 10 players.

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/ne...20&vkey=hof_pr

Do you think GIL will make the cut this year, and further, what are his chances of getting in?

c.

I think Gil will make it this year.

I'm disappointed , though, that Indian Bob Johnson didn't make the pre-'43 cut. His numbers are similar, even better than Gil's:

AB Johnson 6920
    Hodges 7030

RBI Johnson 1283
    Hodges 1274

HITS Johnson 2051
    Hodges 1921

HR Johnson 288
    Hodges 370

B. Avg. Johnson .296
    Hodges .273

OBP Johnson .393
    Hodges .359

SLG Johnson ..506
    Hodges .487

Each, of course, was an outstanding fielder.

Comment

Hodges, Santo, Oliver

Those are my picks in order. Hodges: if Tony Perez is in, Gil must get in. The stats are a wash. The teams they played on are very close in winning. They were both surrounded by great players.

Santo, despite being a Cub, was the best 3rd baseman in the NL for at least 10 years. And Tom Seaver once had a debate with Howie Rose on the radio about Al Oliver. Tom Terrific convinced me Oliver belongs.

Comment

The pre-1943 group is much stronger than the post-1943 group. Bill Dahlen is a mortal lock in a rational world with Sherry Magee, Deacon White, and Joe Gordon as possiblilities. Hopefully the voters won't lose their minds and pick Allie Reynolds. It wouldn't be good to look at a ballot that has four pitchers and pick the fourth one.

Of the post-1943 group Santo is the leading candidate. Joe Torre and Dick Allen are possibilities.

Both voting groups are heavy with living HoFers which doesn't bode well for anyone getting elected.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
          The pre-1943 group is much stronger than the post-1943 group. Bill Dahlen is a mortal lock in a rational world with Sherry Magee, Deacon White, and Joe Gordon as possiblilities. Hopefully the voters won't lose their minds and pick Allie Reynolds. It wouldn't be good to look at a ballot that has four pitchers and pick the fourth one.

Of the post-1943 group Santo is the leading candidate. Joe Torre and Dick Allen are possibilities.

Both voting groups are heavy with living HoFers which doesn't bode well for anyone getting elected.

Indian Bob had better numbers than Gordon. He belongs on the pre-'43 list.

Comment

Originally posted by musial6 View Post
            I think Gil will make it this year.
            musial6-I hope you're correct. It seems that every time this topic comes up it starts a contentious debate over Gil's credentials.

I'm a little too young to remember Gil as a player except for his last year or two in a Mets uniform. However, I remember him very well as the Senators manager from 1963 through 1967. Although he didn't have much talent to work with, a seemingly revolving door of players and a continually cash strapped management, Gil did the best with what he had and the expansion Senators did make slow improvement every year that Gil was at the helm, only to go crashing back to 10th place in 1968 after his departure.

Here's Gil as I remember him best...
            Attached Files
            "For the Washington Senators, the worst time of the year is the baseball season." Roger Kahn

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." Rogers Hornsby.

Comment

Well, this coming Monday, December 8th, will be the "telling" day about GIL HODGES and the Hall of Fame.

What do you think? Does GIL have a real chance of making it to the HOF this year? Or, will those ugly forces, who have blocked him in the past, throw up yet another road block?

Comments, please.

c.

Comment

They might put Hodges in as a sop to Brooklyn for electing O'Malley...

But then again maybe not.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
                  I'd have let it go, Deb, had you not invited comments. This wonderful man, responsible for one of my five greatest sports fan moments ['69 Mets], does not deserve the HOF. He's no less a hero. RIP Gil, and a bunch o' folk.
                  I gotta disagree. Even though I wasn't around back then, I think his name has to be mentioned among the all time impact players in the games history.

Comment

Gil hodges on 2009 vc hof ballot

He did not get in again. unfortunately, we have to face facts. he will never get in.

Comment

Too bad, because I feel his over all career makes him a very worthy candidate.
                      http://www.nflfans.com/x/forumdisplay.php?f=55 :atthepc

Comment

I'd have let it go, Deb, had you not invited comments. This wonderful man, responsible for one of my five greatest sports fan moments ['69 Mets], does not deserve the HOF. He's no less a hero. RIP Gil, and a bunch o' folk.
                        Why do you say this why doesn't he deserve the HOF, I don't know how old you are or if you ever saw him play but by you saying 1969 was your greatest moment you probably weren't a Brooklyn Dodgers fan or not old enough to see 1955 which was our greatest moment. Why do you have to go on and say what a great guy Gil was and patronize him, you sound like Jackie42 and it sounds so phony when you do that.
                        Last edited by kramer_47; 12-08-2008, 06:42 PM.
                        Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

The way the VC is set-up now for players in Hodges category there is no way he can get elected. You cannot get 75% of the living HoFers to agree the sun will rise in the morning.

I hope somebody didn't use the "you didn't see him play" ploy to justify their support of Hodges.
                          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by kramer_47 View Post
                            Why do you say this why doesn't he deserve the HOF, I don't know how old you are or if you ever saw him play but by you saying 1969 was your greatest moment you probably weren't a Brooklyn Dodgers fan or not old enough to see 1955 which was our greatest moment. Why do you have to go on and say what a great guy Gil was and patronize him, you sound like Jackie42 and it sounds so phony when you do that.
                            Yo Kramer: I know Zig, and believe me, he's old enough to know everything about Gil (even though Zig was a Giants' fan!). It's just his opinion. And, BTW, Zig is nowhere in the same catagory as Jackie42...............LeoD/Jackie42 is a complete waste of time. Zig is a good man: colorful, knowledgable, and opinionated. He wasn't "patronizing" Gil, he was merely giving his honest opinion. I, personally, am sad to see Gil fall short once again, but I respect Zig's statement(s).
                            you can take the Dodgers out of Brooklyn, but you can't take the Brooklyn out of the DODGERS
                            http://brooklyndodgermemories.freeforums.org/

Comment

I'm just glad that the "if he's in, why not my guy" argument wasn't used.
                              Zig
                              I respectfully disagree with you on this one, my friend. No, I did not see him play, so I do not have first hand knowledge, but I have family that did. I also looked at stats, read books, listened to other players, and I have to say he should be in. One way that people do justify if someone belongs in the HOF is to match him against others at the same position.
                              Defensively, I have not met anyone who said Tony Perez was better than Gil. Offensively, they are at least equal. Both were surrounded by other HOF stars, both were on great teams that coulda/shoulda won more WS.

Perez at one point accused the HOF writers of bias against him. Not only is Gil not alive to blow his own horn, but he would never claim there was bias against him. From Jackie Robinson, to Buck O'Neil, to Leo the lip, I have never read anything bad about Gil.

Sadly, I think he will never get in.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X