GIL HODGES on 2009 HOF VC Ballot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
    The way the VC is set-up now for players in Hodges category there is no way he can get elected. You cannot get 75% of the living HoFers to agree the sun will rise in the morning.

I hope somebody didn't use the "you didn't see him play" ploy to justify their support of Hodges.
    KCGHOST I agree with you, Joe Morgan even said they all couldn't get on the same page, for 4 election no one has been elected. It isn't because there aren't any players deserving just that 64 on one committee is too big. They need a committee of no more then 20 people, it needs to be a good mix like the pre 1942 who are historians or scholars of the game mixed with the oldtime HOFers, they also should have elections every 2 years for all oldtimers. I also wonder why 1943 was picked as the cutoff if you looked at the 2 groups of 10 players Gil truly belonged with the players in the pre 1942.
    Hopefully they make the right changes this time around, I'm not saying this to get Gil elected but to get the right and deserving players elected.
    Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

Comment

Originally posted by penncentralpete View Post
      Yo Kramer: I know Zig, and believe me, he's old enough to know everything about Gil (even though Zig was a Giants' fan!). It's just his opinion. And, BTW, Zig is nowhere in the same catagory as Jackie42...............LeoD/Jackie42 is a complete waste of time. Zig is a good man: colorful, knowledgable, and opinionated. He wasn't "patronizing" Gil, he was merely giving his honest opinion. I, personally, am sad to see Gil fall short once again, but I respect Zig's statement(s).
      I'm sorry Pete I don't know Zig like you, if he is our age maybe I was in the Air Force with him back in the late 1960's. The reason I said he sounded like Jackie42 was that Jackie42 would say just about the same thing about Gil. I feel if you don't like Gil as a player tell us why you don't think he deserves to be in the HOF. You don't need to go on to say he was apple pie and everything good, to me that is patronizing. Come to think of it that is 1 of the 6 things voters should use to see if a player qualifies for HOF it isn't just stats. The Committee shall consider all eligible candidates and voting shall be based upon the individual's record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character and contribution to the game. Gil has all of these qualities unlike alot of people in the HOF who got in on only 2or3 of these.

Comment

Gil was my favorite Dodger and favorite player growing up. I really couldn't care less whether he is in the Hall of Fame or not.

I can't document it, but I feel certain that his .279 batting average killed his chances the first time around. If you played a hitter's position, you pretty much had to hit .300. No one cared--or even knew--about the offensive value of Gil's on-base percentage. That's changed, but too late for Gil.

He was the best of a very good group of fifties first basemen, all cut from about the same pattern: Adcock, Wertz, Sievers, Klu, Skowron. All of them lost significant playing time to platooning, disease, injuries, or in Gil's case, a late start and early finish.

All the extras are positive: He was certainly famous, a household word--an icon, if there's such a thing as a modest, unassuming icon. He was beloved, and from what I've read about him, deservedly so. For a short time he was a fine manager under extremely trying conditions. If he had lived out his full span, he might have become a baseball institution whose eventual induction would be a foregone conclusion. He had the intelligence, guts, and patience for the long haul.

I feel his record is a little bit short. There are certainly worse first basemen in the hall, but there are better ones outside, too. Adding Gil would not detract from the hall's lustre, but I don't think it would add anything to Gil's.

He doesn't need a plaque.
        Last edited by highpockets; 12-09-2008, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Wow highpockets you just said it all, what a great post. As much as I want to see Gil in the HOF I feel like you do that Gil has always been in my HOF. Every election for the last 40 years it has bothered me that Gil was just short of election, the worst thing was Gil beating out at least 15-20 future HOFers on the writers ballot that were later voted in by the Veterans committee. We don't know why he was never voted in whether it was the .273 avg or Gil dying very young or Ted Williams holding him back. No matter what it was in our minds he was still the greatest first baseman of all time, an icon a legend. Who cares what Joe Morgan, Reggie Jackson or Earl Weaver thinks what do they know anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Zig Tyko
            Yes, kramer_47, I'm a former Airman/Buck Sgt. [Grunt] in the Air Force. As I recall, we kinda lost that war. I'm 0-1. Before our time, we didn't do all that great in Korea. However that was a "police action," not a war. Semantics, you know, don't mean much to the dead folk's families. As a country, we seem to be in a war slump. Struggling, if you will. Not playing good defense [NORAD asleep during 911 invasion, as an example].
            But I digress. My five greatest sports fan moments, in no order:
            Gil's Mets '69, Jets '68/9, Knicks '69, Shot Heard Around The World, NY Rangers '95.
            We like so many others( Gil was in WW2) answered the call of our great country, we were lucky enough to come home, my heart goes out to all our heroes who didn't make it home. I'm getting off subject too and before Deb yells at us let me get back on. My greatest sports moment of course is the 1955 World Series followed by 3 of your 5, loved the 69 Mets, Jets, Knicks what a year for NY sports. The Rangers winning again after all those years was great too but I'd put 1986 Mets ahead of that for me because I'm more of a baseball guy.

Comment

Originally posted by highpockets View Post
              Gil was my favorite Dodger and favorite player growing up. I really couldn't care less whether he is in the Hall of Fame or not.

I can't document it, but I feel certain that his .279 batting average killed his chances the first time around. If you played a hitter's position, you pretty much had to hit .300. No one cared--or even knew--about the offensive value of Gil's on-base percentage. That's changed, but too late for Gil.

He was the best of a very good group of fifties first basemen, all cut from about the same pattern: Adcock, Wertz, Sievers, Klu, Skowron. All of them lost significant playing time to platooning, disease, injuries, or in Gil's case, a late start and early finish.

All the extras are positive: He was certainly famous, a household word--an icon, if there's such a thing as a modest, unassuming icon. He was beloved, and from what I've read about him, deservedly so. For a short time he was a fine manager under extremely trying conditions. If he had lived out his full span, he might have become a baseball institution whose eventual induction would be a foregone conclusion. He had the intelligence, guts, and patience for the long haul.

I feel his record is a little bit short. There are certainly worse first basemen in the hall, but there are better ones outside, too. Adding Gil would not detract from the hall's lustre, but I don't think it would add anything to Gil's.

He doesn't need a plaque.
              Do you think the 1952 World Series hurt his chances with the voters?

Comment

Originally posted by EdTarbusz View Post
                Do you think the 1952 World Series hurt his chances with the voters?
                Of course I have no idea, but the fan reaction wasn't "Hodges, ya bum ya," but as Ralph Zig said, "Dear Lord, help our suffering Gil." I think he was hurt less by that than almost any other player would be. The reaction to Big Papi's slump this spring is a comp, though obviously not at such high stakes.

Also, it came relatively early, and he had plenty of time to redeem himself.

Comment

Gil had all these great years as one of the top 2 power guys with the best team in the National league. He had 7 straight years of 100 rbi, he averaged over 30 homeruns he was 1,2 or3 in homeruns or rbi mostly 1 or 2 from 1949-1957. I can't see how one short WS could tarnish him that bad. The 2 things I think hurt Gil is the size of Ebbets field and the people he played with. Today people look at the distance of the fences at Ebbets field not how long Gil hit his homers they could have all been 400 feet but the fences were supposedly short. If Gil hit 30 more homers like Duke did we wouldn't be talking about this. Gil hit more homers during the 1950's then any other righthanded hitter, only Duke hit more homers in the 1950's. Gil played with Duke, Jackie, Pee Wee, Campy not to mention Sandy and Don Drysdale so people feel the 1950's Dodgers have enough HOFers.

Comment

I think Gil's problem is that he is seen as being part of a great lineup that protected him in a ballpark many considered built for hitters. I don't feel that way, but I think he has run into that.

Another problem is what I can only consider the selfishness of some of the Hall of Famers. When they didn't put in Doug Harvey or Marvin Miller because they didn't wear the uniform, and some of them even said non-players shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame, I realized this Veterans Committee system wouldn't work, either.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X