Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Sporting News January 20, 1960

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Sporting News January 20, 1960

    I posted this in the Ebbet's Field history thread, but I thought it might get lost there.

    It on the closing of Ebbet's Field in 1960. Most of you have probably seen it before but for those of you who havent; enjoy.

    http://www.ajclay.com/BBF_PDF/ebett.pdf

    http://www.ajclay.com/BBF_PDF/ebbett2.pdf
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

  • #2
    Originally posted by runningshoes53
    I posted this in the Ebbet's Field history thread, but I thought it might get lost there.

    It on the closing of Ebbet's Field in 1960. Most of you have probably seen it before but for those of you who havent; enjoy.

    http://www.ajclay.com/BBF_PDF/ebett.pdf

    http://www.ajclay.com/BBF_PDF/ebbett2.pdf

    Are you sure you weren't a BROOKLYN DODGER FAN in another life, runningshoes?

    c.

    Comment


    • #3
      Interesting to see it as it was reported at the time. That photo of the dog in the empty ballpark really says it all. Great photo but very sad too.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by zman
        Interesting to see it as it was reported at the time. That photo of the dog in the empty ballpark really says it all. Great photo but very sad too.
        I was there and I can tell you those photos don't begin to tell the horror and the pain of watching them destroy OUR BEAUTIFUL HOME!

        THAT pain will never leave me!

        c.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DODGER DEB
          Are you sure you weren't a BROOKLYN DODGER FAN in another life, runningshoes?

          c.
          You know Deb, I might well have been.

          I was born in '66. Is that enough time to get my hat thrown back in the ring?

          I'll put more pages in the Ebbets thread.
          Last edited by runningshoes; 03-23-2006, 06:39 AM.
          "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
          Carl Yastrzemski

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by zman
            Interesting to see it as it was reported at the time. That photo of the dog in the empty ballpark really says it all. Great photo but very sad too.
            The dog's name was Angel. (S)he -- I haven't found out -- was a collie-chow mix. I'd like to learn more about the skeleton crew that took care of Ebbets during the twilight years. The only name I know is the super, Babe Hamberger, longtime jack-of-all-trades for the club in Brooklyn.

            I was interested to see that The Sporting News pointed out the soccer goalposts, which I'd made out in the NY Times copy of the photo -- they did not receive comment there.

            One sad thing that struck me was that the number of broken windows jumped sharply in the stadium's last few weeks after the handover on New Year's 1960. I'll find and post the photo from late January/early February.

            Comment


            • #7
              The Sporting News January 20, 1960

              In 1988 I met Cal Abrams at a card show, we talked alot over the next 9 years before he passed on. He told me he knew where they buried the seats from Ebbets field, they were under the Brooklyn Bridge and we talked about going there and trying to find them but we never did. I would love to have one of those box seats here in my house, I bet everyone of you would like to have one too.
              Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kramer_47
                In 1988 I met Cal Abrams at a card show, we talked alot over the next 9 years before he passed on. He told me he knew where they buried the seats from Ebbets field, they were under the Brooklyn Bridge and we talked about going there and trying to find them but we never did. I would love to have one of those box seats here in my house, I bet everyone of you would like to have one too.
                Are you planning a field trip soon?
                "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                Carl Yastrzemski

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by runningshoes53
                  Are you planning a field trip soon?
                  Well, just the other day it was reported here in NYC that they uncovered some buried US Civil Defense Drums from the 1950's under the BROOKYLN BRIDGE. They found food rations in the drums that, they claim, were good enough to eat, like saltine crackers.

                  Keeping in mind that there is a whole lotta space under that great Bridge, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find some of OUR Ebbets Field seats buried there. There is only only person who would know for sure.....JAYKAY, WE need your help, again!!!

                  c.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm sure there must be some still alive who was involved in the demolition.

                    Someone knows exactly where they are.
                    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
                    Carl Yastrzemski

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by runningshoes53
                      I'm sure there must be some still alive who was involved in the demolition.

                      Someone knows exactly where they are.

                      NAH! The Professor's BROOKLYN CURSE took care of them for their part in that horrific act in 1960.

                      Hang loose! Jaykay will come forth and tell US what WE need to know about where they are, or even if they still exist!

                      c.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kramer_47
                        I would love to have one of those box seats here in my house, I bet everyone of you would like to have one too.
                        Marvin Kratter, the "developer" of the Ebbets site, donated about 2,000 of the seats to the prison that used to operate on Hart Island. They had a ballfield there. The prison was shut down, and you can't set foot on Hart Island without special permission.*

                        But I've seen photos of the remnants of the seats:

                        http://www.hartisland.com/landscapes...eld%20Seat.htm

                        I also remember seeing a story about how some corrections officer was given a restored seat in 1998. It was something along the lines of a "gold watch" retirement benefit.

                        http://www.correctionhistory.org/htm.../samstart.html

                        * There was a sad story a couple of years ago about some boys who decided to take a small boat over from City Island next door. The boat swamped, it was January, and nobody responded to their desperate cell-phone call for help. The family was rightly upset about how the 911 system reacted -- one of the problems was finding the origin of the call.
                        Last edited by VIBaseball; 03-24-2006, 09:01 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The Sporting News January 20, 1960

                          Originally posted by runningshoes53
                          Are you planning a field trip soon?
                          Why do you want to come with me.
                          Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The Sporting News January 20, 1960

                            Originally posted by runningshoes53
                            I'm sure there must be some still alive who was involved in the demolition.

                            Someone knows exactly where they are.
                            I think Cal knew, he was into alot of things, he didn't say I think they are there he wanted to go there and get them.
                            Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The Sporting News January 20, 1960

                              Originally posted by DODGER DEB
                              Well, just the other day it was reported here in NYC that they uncovered some buried US Civil Defense Drums from the 1950's under the BROOKYLN BRIDGE. They found food rations in the drums that, they claim, were good enough to eat, like saltine crackers.

                              Keeping in mind that there is a whole lotta space under that great Bridge, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find some of OUR Ebbets Field seats buried there. There is only only person who would know for sure.....JAYKAY, WE need your help, again!!!

                              c.
                              I can see the headlines now in the Daily News, " Senior citizens caught digging under the Brooklyn Bridge".
                              Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X