Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dodger Players

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dodger Players

    Ther was a web site that listed all the Dodger players by year, when they died and where they live now, if still alive. I can't remember the name of the site. Anyone here know?
    I do know there is a former Dodger player living here in Dayton, OH but I can't remember his name. Old age is hell.

  • #2
    Originally posted by driver62
    Ther was a web site that listed all the Dodger players by year, when they died and where they live now, if still alive. I can't remember the name of the site. Anyone here know?
    I do know there is a former Dodger player living here in Dayton, OH but I can't remember his name. Old age is hell.
    There is a former Brooklyn Dodger living in Youngstown, Ohio. His name is George Shuba.

    Let me see if I can come up with the name of the website you mentioned.

    c.

    Comment


    • #3
      Dodger Players

      Yes George Shuba lives in Youngstown but if you are thinking of writing for his autograph don't bother unless you include $30.
      Here is the site you are looking for, but I have to tell you not all the addresses are correct.


      http://www.bayou.com/~brooklyn/rosters.html
      Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

      Comment


      • #4
        That's the site I was thinking of....thanks for posting it, kramer_47.

        It appears there is one of OUR former players that lives in Dayton, OH....BOB BOROWSKI. Perhaps he is the one you are looking for, driver62.

        c.
        Last edited by DODGER DEB; 03-24-2006, 05:45 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Dodger Players

          Originally posted by DODGER DEB
          That's the site I was thinking of....thanks for posting it, kramer_47.

          It appears there is one of OUR former players that lives in Dayton, OH....BOB BOROWSKI. Perhaps he is the one you are looking for, driver62.

          c.
          Your welcome Deb but like I said some addresses are old but alot are correct. There is also a page for 1941-51 Dodgers.
          http://www.bayou.com/~brooklyn/41rost.html
          Last edited by DODGER DEB; 03-24-2006, 05:45 PM.
          Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the help. It's exactly what I was looking for.

            Comment


            • #7
              Claude Crocker

              I think I'll make a little distinction here. Unless somebody asks about a deceased player in that thread, I'd like to post about players who are still with us in "Where are they now?" This here is a good thread for stories about players who have passed away from the 1941-51 period.

              Claude Crocker was a young man from North Carolina who went to UNC at Chapel Hill. He was 4F and thus didn't go to war. Rickey liked him as a pitcher, singing "Great body control, fine fast ball, perfect delivery, oh what a prospect!" in March 1945 at the Bear Mountain spring camp.

              His last of 3 major-league appearances came on 9/30/1945. Just a day earlier, he'd dropped a 1-0 decision in relief of Art Herring to the Waterbury Brasscos at Municipal Stadium in Waterbury. This Connecticut team had already beaten the Phillies 13-3 and the Yankees 1-0 that week.

              Along with 18 other players -- most notably Gil Hodges -- Claude was recalled in September 1946. He didn't see action (neither did Gil, for that matter), and that's the last newspaper story on him.

              But here's a link noting what he did after the Dodgers, which included coaching at Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. The playing field there is named for him. He passed away in Clinton in December 2002, age 78.

              http://historicbaseball.com/players/...er_claude.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by VIBaseball
                I think I'll make a little distinction here. Unless somebody asks about a deceased player in that thread, I'd like to post about players who are still with us in "Where are they now?" This here is a good thread for stories about players who have passed away from the 1941-51 period.

                Claude Crocker was a young man from North Carolina who went to UNC at Chapel Hill. He was 4F and thus didn't go to war. Rickey liked him as a pitcher, singing "Great body control, fine fast ball, perfect delivery, oh what a prospect!" in March 1945 at the Bear Mountain spring camp.

                His last of 3 major-league appearances came on 9/30/1945. Just a day earlier, he'd dropped a 1-0 decision in relief of Art Herring to the Waterbury Brasscos at Municipal Stadium in Waterbury. This Connecticut team had already beaten the Phillies 13-3 and the Yankees 1-0 that week.

                Along with 18 other players -- most notably Gil Hodges -- Claude was recalled in September 1946. He didn't see action (neither did Gil, for that matter), and that's the last newspaper story on him.

                But here's a link noting what he did after the Dodgers, which included coaching at Presbyterian College in Clinton, SC. The playing field there is named for him. He passed away in Clinton in December 2002, age 78.

                http://historicbaseball.com/players/...er_claude.html
                Another nice find VIBaseball, I think you're right "Where are they now?" should be for the living Dodgers unless it is part of a story with both living and deceased Dodgers. You said he was 4F and couldn't go in the service, how can an athlete playing in the best league the major leagues be 4F, how could Joe Namath be 4F. In time of war just about everyone should go especially major class athletes, in the service they could find a job that they could do. I'm not knocking Mr Crocker it wasn't his fault, but it has always bothered me that guys could be 4F and still perform with the best in there sport.
                Lets support Gil Hodges for The Hall of Fame, a true Hall of Famer.

                Comment

                Ad Widget

                Collapse
                Working...
                X