Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BornthedaythebumswontheWS
    replied
    Here's a picture right after the last out on Oct. 4, 1955. Note the Johnny Podres signature.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BornthedaythebumswontheWS; 12-22-2008, 01:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BornthedaythebumswontheWS
    replied
    This is my first-ever post on Baseball Fever. But where, more-appropriately?! After all, I was born the day the Bums finally won it all, in '55. I'll have to check with my parents: but I think I came a bit before the magic time of 3:43 p.m. (ET). There truly is something magical about this particular team. Having never lived on the East Coast, they still seem like "family" to me.
    Last edited by BornthedaythebumswontheWS; 12-10-2008, 07:06 AM. Reason: Change the time to the actual one

Leave a comment:

• aqib
    replied
    Is there an audio of the last out anywhere?

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Originally posted by Paulmcall View Post
    Our Gil (Hodges) doubles up their Gil (McDougald).

Let's not forget that while OUR GIL caught the ball and doubled up McDougald...it was OUR ever alert and quick thinking Captain, PEE WEE, that saw the possibility and whipped around and threw the ball to GIL, while everyone (including myself) was screaming wild with joy at the incredible catch that SANDY AMOROS had just made on Berra's fly.

PEE WEE who was OUR Captain, and forever #1, won games for US in more ways than WE can count.

c.

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    Our Gil (Hodges) doubles up their Gil (McDougald).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    Amoros saves the day.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    Podres famous delivery.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    Johnny Podres with parents.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    More celebrating.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    Some happy fans.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paulmcall
    replied
    I thought I'd add a few photos from Life magazine celebrating the Dodger victory.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mays1951
    replied
    October 4, 1955

3:43 p.m. That was the time of my parents lives. I was not born when Brooklyn won it all but the stories they told me will always be with me.

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Green View Post
    A glorious day that makes up--I hope--for that miserable day October 3, four years before.

The night of the win, the Dodgers had a big victory party. Vin Scully said when he drove to the hotel with his date--Joan Ganz Cooney, who later started Sesame Street for public television--the place was so mobbed that he had to park a mile or two away and walk down the middle of the street. What a night it must have been!
    Indeed, it was!!

OUR Victory Party was held at the Bossert Hotel on Montague Street, Downtown Brooklyn. It was total insanity. There were thousands of BROOKLYN fans up and down every street, as far as the eye could see. Park? You couldn't even walk! The party lasted most of the night. It was loud and it was wonderful!!

It was a night I will never forget!

The NY Journal-American, which was an afternoon paper in OUR day, had this red banner headline the next day,Wednesday, October 5th:

The BOROUGH of BROOKLYN is EXPECTED to RETURN to EARTH SOMETIME TODAY......the LAST REPORT HAD IT LOCATED SOME PLACE BETWEEN INSANITY and DISBELIEF!

That just about said it all!

c.

Leave a comment:

• DODGER DEB
    replied
    Originally posted by LouGehrig View Post
    Howdy, Dodger Deb. I have always empathized with Brooklyn fans and always will. I am a Yankee, but I have always identified with Brooklyn fans and now, I am experiencing and will always experience a small part of what you have suffered.

I will NEVER go to the ball park that is being built near Yankee Stadium because my team no longer plays there, and after it has been pillaged for every penny, it will be destroyed.

October 4 is YOUR day of happiness. It is a joy that I cannot share in, but you won and deserve it.

On a Yankees forum, I have been responding to fans who are ecstatic that they have a new ball park. I came across the following on a thread I started:

"Is it just me, or do the people longing for the preservation of the (now) Old Yankee Stadium remind you of the people who still long for the Brooklyn Dodgers or the old Penn Station?

It's gone....time to finish grieving and move on,..."

My response will include a link to this, the best of all forums, but if you want, you could, in your great style, post a response on the thread. It is up to you. The link is

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php?t=114406

and it is post #22.

What is happening to baseball, and especially to the Yankees, is a crime, but it is called progress.

Thank you, Lou, for your usual kind words and understanding of everything BROOKLYN DODGER! As I have said many times here, through the years, you are an exception to the usual Yankee fan, and their attitude towards OUR Dodgers. While WE could not have known it then, OCTOBER 4th, is truly OUR DAY, and WE will remember it always with great love and great joy.

I feel for you, Lou, and what you are going through with the demise of Yankee Stadium. Having seen OUR beloved home Ebbets Field, demolished before my eyes, which pierced my heart, I would never wish that kind of pain on any loyal fan. NYC didn't have a clue back in 1960, and still doesn't, by doing what they did/are doing, in demolishing a huge part of NY history and culture. It is so, so sad! GREED is so pitiful!

Thank you for the invite to the other site, I will check it out.

c.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Green
    replied
    A glorious day that makes up--I hope--for that miserable day October 3, four years before.

The night of the win, the Dodgers had a big victory party. Vin Scully said when he drove to the hotel with his date--Joan Ganz Cooney, who later started Sesame Street for public television--the place was so mobbed that he had to park a mile or two away and walk down the middle of the street. What a night it must have been!

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X