Hi! Alex Zsenyuk...a catcher for the BD's...anyone have any info on him or know r/o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BabyFuzz
    • Sep 2004

Hi! Alex Zsenyuk...a catcher for the BD's...anyone have any info on him or know r/o

where I might find any?

I met him tonight in the course of business and what a great guy!! Said he was a catcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers before they moved to...well, you know where

He's about 77 years old, looks great, is so mellow and I just had such a great time talking with him. I'd love to read up on his baseball career if anyone has any ideas where I might do that? I did a Google search but couldn't get anything on him.

Thanks, it's great to be here. Fuzz

PS Love the post on living in Brooklyn--I grew up in Detroit and we had a few of those things in common but your neighborhood sounds like it was really great--it was really fun reading. Thanks.
  • ElHalo
    Greek God of Baseball
    • Oct 2003

Absolutely not. Nobody by that name (or even any remotely conceivable spelling of a name that might sound like that) ever played in the major leagues.

I couldn't find a record of any minor leaguers by that name either, though my records aren't complete.
    "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

• The Commissioner
      Administrator
      • Jan 2000

Are you sure you have the correct spelling for his name? I can't find any record of anyone with that name as ever having playing in the minors. As Halo pointed out, he definitely never played for the Brooklyn Dodgers in the Majors.

Comment

• donzblock
        Brooklynite
        • Jan 2000

Jaykay has been known to use the name "Zsenyuk" when he goes undercover.

Comment

• jaykay
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by donzblock
          Jaykay has been known to use the name "Zsenyuk" when he goes undercover.

Once again, a few minor corrections are in order. The Professor knows his stuff, but occasionally he floats a knuckleball that is just out of the strike zone. To wit:

The person alluded to as "Jaykay" is ALWAYS undercover, at which times he uses the name "jaykay" (having switched from "jerry" many moons ago so as not to be confused with our dear departed Jerry Stern). He has been called many things, but never "Zsenyuk." However:

Our new correspondent, Baby Fuzz (more about that in a moment), follows his/her most friendly greeting ("Hi!") with "Alex Zsenyuk...a catcher for the BD's" - leading everyone (including Baby) to assume that the team in question was the Brooklyn Dodgers - and in turn producing both fruitless research and consternation, though not necessarily in that order. I happen to know, from my sandlot days, that there was an Alec Szenyuk (kindly note spellings) who caught for the Bensonhurst Devildogs, affectionately known to their legions of fans along 18th Avenue as the "BDs." Alec did not tell the truth at all times (even down to the spelling of his name), claiming to have struck five home runs in seven at-bats against Koufax in their encounters in the Ice Cream League at the Parade Grounds. It may be of more than passing interest, or of no interest at all, that in Lithuanian "szenyuk" means "one who "prevaricates, pontificates, insinuates, and tells fibs." Then again, it may not be the same person. It may not even be the same Koufax. All the same, Baby Fuzz should exercise extreme caution in doing business with this person. And finally:

While there is reason to assume that the originator of this thread is every bit a red-blooded member of the male gender, there remains for me the faintest question of identity once again (as with Jaykay, Szenyuk, and Koufax). The only "Baby Fuzz" I have encountered, until now, was a stripper at the old Hudson Theater in Union City, New Jersey, where I spent many a fulfilling evening (and a few matinees) after burlesque was banned in New York. If you are in fact the one and only, I'm sure you are still gorgeous. Even if you are a guy with his own excellent reasons for selecting that tag, let me be one of the first to congratulate you for having chosen wisely and well.
          pb::

Comment

• DODGER DEB
            BROOKLYN FOUNDER
            • Jan 2003

IN ALL my years of living BROOKLYN DODGER BASEALL, I have NEVER heard OUR Team referred to as the "BD's".........have any of YOU? :noidea

c.

Comment

• BabyFuzz
              • Sep 2004

Hi Dodger Deb! Lest you take me wrong, there are only so many characters... r/o pls

in the "Title" section and I was strictly abbreviating due to space constraint. Absolutely no disrespect intended--sure hope you didn't take it that way and since I'm so new here, I hope it's not the kind of board where everyone flies off the handle about little stuff like that? It sure was not mean to get anyone in a tizz and was strictly for space-saving--nothing more. Can't really see where that would be offensive to you (now that you know why I used the "BD", but you never know! Really, didn't mean to offend anyone by two little initials If someone wrote the Detroit Tigers as the "DT's" (which aren't a good thing to have, lol) I wouldn't be offended if they were just trying to save space.

Maybe you were just saying you had never seen the Brooklyn Dodgers referred to as BD's plain and simple, and I'm reading more into it than there was. If so.......................never mind!! BabyFuzz

Comment

• DODGER DEB
                BROOKLYN FOUNDER
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by BabyFuzz
                in the "Title" section and I was strictly abbreviating due to space constraint. Absolutely no disrespect intended--sure hope you didn't take it that way and since I'm so new here, I hope it's not the kind of board where everyone flies off the handle about little stuff like that? It sure was not mean to get anyone in a tizz and was strictly for space-saving--nothing more. Can't really see where that would be offensive to you (now that you know why I used the "BD", but you never know! Really, didn't mean to offend anyone by two little initials If someone wrote the Detroit Tigers as the "DT's" (which aren't a good thing to have, lol) I wouldn't be offended if they were just trying to save space.

Maybe you were just saying you had never seen the Brooklyn Dodgers referred to as BD's plain and simple, and I'm reading more into it than there was. If so.......................never mind!! BabyFuzz

THAT is ALL I was saying, BabyFuzz! NO offense taken!

As most of US here go back to OUR days at EBBETS FIELD, I have never seen OUR Team referred to as "BD's"...and I was simply asking if anyone had!

BTW, welcome to OUR little corner of the Baseball world. It is always nice to add another voice.

Have fun here; WE do!

c.

Comment

• donzblock
                  Brooklynite
                  • Jan 2000

History can teach us many lessons: the sandlot team, the Bayonne Varicose Dodgers, had to change its name to the Bayonne Bleeders to avoid a humiliating abbreviation. The team was subsequently sued by Chuck Wepner and had to change its name again to I forget what. (I believe Jaykay knows the full story.) There was no Zsenyuk or Szenyuk affilated with the BVDs or BBs.

Comment

• hp246
                    • Jul 2007

Alex Zsenyuk is my uncle. He played in the Dodgers organization. According to my dad, his younger brother, Alex was brought up at the end of a season. I don't know if he actually played or not, I've never asked him. I.ve searched myself, and according to online sources, there is no record that he played. His career ended with an arm injury.

Comment

• The Commissioner
                      Administrator
                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by hp246 View Post
                      Alex Zsenyuk is my uncle. He played in the Dodgers organization. According to my dad, his younger brother, Alex was brought up at the end of a season. I don't know if he actually played or not, I've never asked him. I.ve searched myself, and according to online sources, there is no record that he played. His career ended with an arm injury.
                      Unfortunately, I can't even find any record of him having ever played in the minor leagues. Do you know what years he was with the organization?

Comment

• hp246
                        • Jul 2007

No, Sorry I don't. I know that he lettered at Wayne State University in 1948 and 1949. here is a link to there site:

I know that his professional career was very short due to injury, and he had a family to raise, so he went into education. Wayne State University was primarily a teaching college at that time. I know that the minors and professional baseball were'nt as orgaized as they are now, so records may have been lost. There were 3 brothers. Alex, and my dad survive. All three were very good ball players.

Comment

• musial6
                          • May 2006

No, Sorry I don't. I know that he lettered at Wayne State University in 1948 and 1949. here is a link to there site:

I know that his professional career was very short due to injury, and he had a family to raise, so he went into education. Wayne State University was primarily a teaching college at that time. I know that the minors and professional baseball were'nt as orgaized as they are now, so records may have been lost. There were 3 brothers. Alex, and my dad survive. All three were very good ball players.

What's the difference between a major letter and a varsity letter?

Comment

• hp246
                            • Jul 2007

No idea. I wondered the same thing. I thought maybe a major letter might have been earned before the senior season.

Comment

• musial6
                              • May 2006

No idea. I wondered the same thing. I thought maybe a major letter might have been earned before the senior season.

I don't think so. Quite a few listed have two or three varsity letters.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X